135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Anyone know anything about this gun?
    Is this on a par with an FNS?
    Or a Shield?
    Or a Glock?
    Or a Ruger?
    When I do research I found issues with the HK VP-9.
    Of course, I found issues with the FNS as well.
    I see this gun prices over $500 used and I found this one for $425 and wondered if I should pursue it
    or is it just another 9mm in the large 9mm pool?
    Pass or pursue?

8420560_01_h_k_vp9_640.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Pretty sure they are full size and not like a Shield. I considered one along with the Walther PPQ but ended up with a CZ Custom. Which I just sold. Maybe I should have gone with one of the others, lol.:dunno:

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I have a VP9, and it is a really nice gun. It is the one I have shot the most.

When I was looking for my first gun I rented a bunch of guns and found I liked the VP9 the best. The only other gun I liked as much is the CZ I own as well.

That price is really nice too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    One of, if not the most ergonomic striker fired handguns on the market. I've owned a total of 3. All of them with no issues. My current VP9 is 2300 rounds in, with zero malfunctions. HK reliability. Accuracy is great. Aftermarket support is there for holsters. The only downside is the price of additional mags.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It sold between my contact with him confirming its availablility around 5ish to when I researched and decided to buy (around 9ish sent email), and found out this am he sent an email at 3am saying it had sold.

I don't mind, I just wanted to try it out in my quest for a 9mm to see if it could beat what I had:
    FNS,
    Ruger P89,
    or even my benchmark: Shield 9.
    I wouldn't part with my Glock 26 under any conditions (at this point): I can't imagine anything taking its place, in my mind a multi-purpose tool.
    I'm still having a rush that I own a Glock (I've been deprived :laugh: ).

Since I bought the Bronze FNS just for kicks (b/c price so good) last evening, and I am pursuing a Glock 42 for fun (and found a price used finally less than $400-$450, which I can buy them new for $400: I'm not allowed to say where b/c of criticism :ugh:).
    I would love it if the Glock 42 could replace my Colt Mustang and my Shield .380, if not everything is for sale (except my Glock 26 :laugh: ).

I have had 4 guns sell that I was pursuing (or stopped pursuing b/c seller questionable or priced too high), just since the weekend: fun, fun, fun. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

acss502

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Central
    It sold between my contact with him confirming its availablility around 5ish to when I researched and decided to buy (around 9ish sent email), and found out this am he sent an email at 3am saying it had sold.

I don't mind, I just wanted to try it out in my quest for a 9mm to see if it could beat what I had:
    FNS,
    Ruger P89,
    or even my benchmark: Shield 9.
    I wouldn't part with my Glock 26 under any conditions (at this point): I can't imagine anything taking its place, in my mind a multi-purpose tool.
    I'm still having a rush that I own a Glock (I've been deprived :laugh: ).

Since I bought the Bronze FNS just for kicks (b/c price so good) last evening, and I am pursuing a Glock 42 for fun (and found a price finally less than $400-$450, which I can buy them new at that price).
    I would love it if the Glock 42 could replace my Colt Mustang and my Shield .380, if not everything is for sale (except my Glock 26 :laugh: ).

I have had 4 guns sell that I was pursuing (or stopped pursuing b/c seller questionable or priced too high), just since the weekend: fun, fun, fun. :rockwoot:

Both are greats guns. I have and carry both. I sold my shield for the 42 and am glad I did. Sounds like you’re fond of the Glock platform so I’d say go for a 42. My 19 is still my go-to (that’s my never part with gun). For summer concealment, for me, it doesn’t get any better than the 42.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Both are greats guns. I have and carry both. I sold my shield for the 42 and am glad I did. Sounds like you’re fond of the Glock platform so I’d say go for a 42. My 19 is still my go-to (that’s my never part with gun). For summer concealment, for me, it doesn’t get any better than the 42.

1. I hope the deal goes through for the 42 (been slow to respond). My "alarms" are sounding mildly, but consistently.
    2. If I get an address to meet and it is a home, I will not go in, and/or if I see people milling about at a public place, I will leave.
    3. I have had some training in another lifetime (20s) that I don't refer to that keeps my radar up.
    4. I am eager to see if I can part with my Shield Bodyguard .380 for a Glock 42. I know I can part with the Colt Mustang Pocketlite and will sell it when I get around to it (never have liked it, but it was a Colt, but I'm old and over that now b/c I'm so mature. :rofl:
    5. The Bodyguard I only bought b/c I had to b/c of price, but now I can see my way of paying more/having more tied up in a gun if it brings me joy (like the Glock 16 :rockwoot:)

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    No way a (legitimate) VP9 on Armslist for 425 was gonna last long.
    You can find a good, stock, used Glock 42 here or there for 300-350

1. WHAT? $300-$350????? :dunno:
    2. I literally check here and Armslist at least once and sometimes 3-4 times if at my leisure every day since last May.
    3. There is a $425 and a $450 available plus the one for $350 that I'm pursuing.
    4. You have raised my bar of hopefulness, and since I wait/lurk until I see a "depressed" price, maybe I should not be so eager to buy since I'm not in a hurry.
    5. I try to buy used for $100-$150 lower than new (if tax, shipping, FFL fees if those apply= $200 below)
    6. But, this formula doesn't work well with the smaller less expensive guns, of course, which is why I was willing to pay $350 used for a Glock 42 that would cost me $428 (w/tax) at a shop (that I'm not allowed to mention :laugh:): saving only $78.
    7. Thanks for the heads-up. :thumbsup:

8. Concerning the price on the VP9: yes, I thought so after my research: for it to get my attention itemss have to be below $400, and usually below $300 (my avg./mean is $265 for all my guns: less than 20).
    9. I only pursue the ones with a "correct" profile:
    a. INGO member top priority (especially if I have bought/sold before with them is my favorite) I have paid a little bit more if I really wanted it, just b/c they were from here.
    b. yrs. of ownership (try to determine if it is a "flip" and therefore condition not really known)
    c. bought from shop or individual (history important to me: I've passed on a dubious history before)
    d. rounds through it (I have bought guns from guys here that I really believe it when they tell me the low rounds, ha! Armslist: not so much, ha!)
    e. original owner or close to it (if gun has turned over and over recently: pass)
    f. safe queen or not (love the safe queens: that is what my Colt Mustang is)
    g. box/papers or ammo or holster or "other" ancillary items (especially ammo: love it!)

10. The other day when I bought the Bronze FNS off an ex-LEO from this site and I had bought 2 other items from him I told him I didn't even feel like I needed to look in the box b/c of my trust in him, but I would give it a cursory look. :laugh:
    11. I made sure he put in the "larger" backplate for me before I got the gun since the last time I couldn't get off the other backplate and he had to come by the house and do it for me. :dunno:.
    12. Yes, I felt like an idiot and still do, but it took more than reading the directions: it took experience of knowing how to wiggle and how to put the correct pressure points on it. :wallbash: :laugh:
    13. I have broken things before in my determination of making something come apart that won't: lesson learned. (I used to be strong :chuck:) Ok, not that strong. :laugh:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Go for it!

I have a P30 which is the hammer fired DA/SA older twin. excellent ergonomics, light recoil and absolutely do play around with the side-plates and backstraps as they can tune it to your natural grip and point of aim. They're a tank as far as durability/reliability goes. the only downside is the triggers only good (not fantastic) from the factory and the lack of aftermarket parts.

Of the complaints I've seen, most of the reliability issues were from the early guns not having enough recoil spring. early in production they moved to put the .40 springs in both guns and those have been much better from what I've heard (at the expense of it now preferring more than bare-minimum loads and a little more effort racking the slide). I don't remember if there's a campaign from HK about replacing them. Don't be too scared to call CS, they're much better in recent years than they were in the past.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Go for it!

I have a P30 which is the hammer fired DA/SA older twin. excellent ergonomics, light recoil and absolutely do play around with the side-plates and backstraps as they can tune it to your natural grip and point of aim. They're a tank as far as durability/reliability goes. the only downside is the triggers only good (not fantastic) from the factory and the lack of aftermarket parts.

Of the complaints I've seen, most of the reliability issues were from the early guns not having enough recoil spring. early in production they moved to put the .40 springs in both guns and those have been much better from what I've heard (at the expense of it now preferring more than bare-minimum loads and a little more effort racking the slide). I don't remember if there's a campaign from HK about replacing them. Don't be too scared to call CS, they're much better in recent years than they were in the past.

1. Appreciate the insights. :thumbsup:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Good guns, contact HK to get the updated recoil spring (from the .40 version originally), since the original/first batch of springs was undersprung.
    Nice, soft shooter

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    In an earlier post I mentioned that the seller left a message for me at 3:00 am last night that it had sold in the few hours I had received his text that is was still available and when I told him later (9ish pm) that I would buy it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The VP-9 is a very good option in today's polymer-framed striker-fired handgun game.

I only have about 50 rounds through one (owned by another INGOer) - and I mostly enjoyed every single one of them. I will say, however, that for whatever reason, the recoil on the VP-9 feels a bit "tinny". Hard to explain it, but I feel that Glock and M&P both feel a touch more substantial under recoil. Perhaps the VP-9 frame is just designed so that it's thinner in certain spots relative the other guns I'm familiar with.

If I weren't already so heavily invested in the M&P platform, both software and hardware, I may very well be a VP-9 kind of guy right now.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The VP-9 is a very good option in today's polymer-framed striker-fired handgun game.

I only have about 50 rounds through one (owned by another INGOer) - and I mostly enjoyed every single one of them. I will say, however, that for whatever reason, the recoil on the VP-9 feels a bit "tinny". Hard to explain it, but I feel that Glock and M&P both feel a touch more substantial under recoil. Perhaps the VP-9 frame is just designed so that it's thinner in certain spots relative the other guns I'm familiar with.

If I weren't already so heavily invested in the M&P platform, both software and hardware, I may very well be a VP-9 kind of guy right now.

1. It sold or I would have bought it to try it out since it was priced at $425 and I can buy them new for $570 +$40 tax = $610, and that is the savings I'm looking ($185ish) on a used gun, altough I can't do it on a Glock. Only saved about $80 on a used 43 compared to the $400 new price, and since I want to try out a Glock 43 but I can buy them new for $450 and others used are asking $450 - $500? :dunno:
    2. I want to get one for at least $400 out the door. That is $120 more than I paid for my Shield 9 (I had to pay $150 more for the Glock 42 than my Smith Bodyguard .380).

Top Bottom