• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Now how about the most pleasant part of the AT lol?
    The wonderful,beautiful Shenandoah National park.
    You are fairly far along in you hike at this point.
    If you have been doing 15-18 miles per day something fun happens at this point.
    You will pump out 25 and it will feel easier than most days you did 15. By AT trail standards Shenandoah is flat. It has some amazing views. It also has restaurants where you can get Lobster
    and a steak if you want. You can certainly get most any fresh fruit(something I missed greatly on the trail,who is going to carry apples? they are just to heavy). Enjoy every minute of it. Have a couple drinks,but remember this "vacation" ends when you hit the presidential range(my avg miles dropped from 20-25 per day to 8-12).

It is not that they are that much harder physically for the most part. They are steeper over short distances sure,but most are really not to bad(Mt Washington excluded,which is only steep in a few places,like the last half mile to the first hut off the peak). So why the huge drop in miles? For me it was not even so much ascents,but decent. You can not cruise down hill on most of that range. They are to steep. You will see more ladders made into the rock in a very compact area than you have on the rest of the AT combined. It is simply not possible to cover as many miles.

Topic change
    The four letter word you will learn to love and hate at the same time on the AT. Zero. It is when you take a day and do zero trail miles. You wake up in your hostel,hotel,resort ect...and plan on staying the night again. You have all day, a day off. How you are feeling,where you are, and who you are with determines what happens next. Some zero's are 100% worth it. They relieve stress and you get to explore a place you likely have never been while sharing that experience with hopefully a group of people you like. It will involve food. That is without question. I hit a few county type fairs with other hikers. Even hit a couple breweries. One day a few of us took a train into DC for the day(I wanted to see the air and space museum,that one was not really a "good" zero in the end).

At the quarter way mark is a hostel called unironically the Quarter way inn. It was by far my favorite hostel on the AT. The food was amazing(her breakfast is ranked number one on the trail),but that was not even all. It was clean, no spotless. I was with a group of people I knew and liked. The weather had been total crap for weeks. So much rain. We all were burned out on it. We had a reason to celebrate(1/4 of the way :) She had games,tv,movies,a giant black snake climbing the tree outside my window trying to eat the baby owls(their mom did well lol). It was fun. It was going to be storming even worse the next day. All of us as a group decided to zero. Here I am 1/4 done eating great food sitting with a group of people from 5 different countries(oh yea,the AT is a popular destination hike for most of the world) all going through the same thing. It was just one of those moments I went "wow" this is something I will never forget.

I hiked with that particular group until it all but disappeared one by one as they quit. Mind you this is the 1/4 mark(many I had meet already had quit). I had every single one of their cell numbers. Of that entire group only myself and one other guy lasted another month. You will experience that to. Like I said make friends, but never count on them anyone could quit at any time for any reason. I made lots of friends a few finished the trail, most did not. Enjoy the social times though. It is important for your well-being. I will add more memories later like the drive in you can camp at over night with 40+ other hikers(was a lot of hikers the day I stayed) stores within walking distance and two breweries :) :) It is not all pain and misery for sure. But many of the great places are further along the trail,and sometimes you will go weeks without any real break. When a good one happens you will remember it.

Last edited:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Now how about the most pleasant part of the AT lol?
    The wonderful,beautiful Shenandoah National park.
    You are fairly far along in you hike at this point.
    If you have been doing 15-18 miles per day something fun happens at this point.
    You will pump out 25 and it will feel easier than most days you did 15. By AT trail standards Shenandoah is flat. It has some amazing views. It also has restaurants where you can get Lobster
    and a steak if you want. You can certainly get most any fresh fruit(something I missed greatly on the trail,who is going to carry apples? they are just to heavy). Enjoy every minute of it. Have a couple drinks,but remember this "vacation" ends when you hit the presidential range(my avg miles dropped from 20-25 per day to 8-12).

It is not that they are that much harder physically for the most part. They are steeper over short distances sure,but most are really not to bad(Mt Washington excluded,which is only steep in a few places,like the last half mile to the first hut off the peak). So why the huge drop in miles? For me it was not even so much ascents,but decent. You can not cruise down hill on most of that range. They are to steep. You will see more ladders made into the rock in a very compact area than you have on the rest of the AT combined. It is simply not possible to cover as many miles.

Topic change
    The four letter word you will learn to love and hate at the same time on the AT. Zero. It is when you take a day and do zero trail miles. You wake up in your hostel,hotel,resort ect...and plan on staying the night again. You have all day, a day off. How you are feeling,where you are, and who you are with determines what happens next. Some zero's are 100% worth it. They relieve stress and you get to explore a place you likely have never been while sharing that experience with hopefully a group of people you like. It will involve food. That is without question. I hit a few county type fairs with other hikers. Even hit a couple breweries. One day a few of us took a train into DC for the day(I wanted to see the air and space museum,that one was not really a "good" zero in the end).

At the quarter way mark is a hostel called unironically the Quarter way inn. It was by far my favorite hostel on the AT. The food was amazing(her breakfast is ranked number one on the trail),but that was not even all. It was clean, no spotless. I was with a group of people I knew and liked. The weather had been total crap for weeks. So much rain. We all were burned out on it. We had a reason to celebrate(1/4 of the way :) She had games,tv,movies,a giant black snake climbing the tree outside my window trying to eat the baby owls(their mom did well lol). It was fun. It was going to be storming even worse the next day. All of us as a group decided to zero. Here I am 1/4 done eating great food sitting with a group of people from 5 different countries(oh yea,the AT is a popular destination hike for most of the world) all going through the same thing. It was just one of those moments I went "wow" this is something I will never forget.

I hiked with that particular group until it all but disappeared one by one as they quit. Mind you this is the 1/4 mark(many I had meet already had quit). I had every single one of their cell numbers. Of that entire group only myself and one other guy lasted another month. You will experience that to. Like I said make friends, but never count on them anyone could quit at any time for any reason. I made lots of friends a few finished the trail, most did not. Enjoy the social times though. It is important for your well-being. I will add more memories later like the drive in you can camp at over night with 40+ other hikers(was a lot of hikers the day I stayed) stores within walking distance and two breweries :) :) It is not all pain and misery for sure. But many of the great places are further along the trail,and sometimes you will go weeks without any real break. When a good one happens you will remember it.
    This is why I can’t thank you enough for sharing your experience with me, and all of Ingo for that matter. I’ve given myself a long term plan, to get myself into shape and learn these skills, but who knows what happens in that time frame, but you may very well inspire another, or it might spur an Ingo group hike! Regardless I sincerely appreciate all the advice and the experience you give us.

You asked a few posts ago why I want to do it, I’ve been thinking about that a lot, I wanted to give you a better answer than “cause I want to”. I mean that’s part of it, don’t get me wrong, I want the experience, I want the to explore, but I also want to know if I have what it takes to do it, to endure the bad days, the determination to change the mindset of “how much farther” to I did this, now let’s see if I can go a little farther. I know the romance of it will wear off pretty quickly when it’s cold and raining or I’m at the point of exhaustion but I have to keep going. I know I have drive, I know of I set my mind to it I can accomplish it, but I’m realistic and know there’s a lot of things out of my control. Maybe that’s not a good enough reason, I don’t know, but I know when I hike now and I really don’t want to run up the giant hill, because I’m flat out worn out, I still do, because I know if I dig deep enough I can, and the only thing stopping me is my mind. So hopefully I can take all this information you and everyone in this thread has given and put it to use!

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Luckily I am not on the AT so tomorrow I get to wake up and decide if I want to hike / walk to my parents(mostly weather dependent) . Will be my longest yet (23mi) but mostly flat. Won’t have my weights on so besides water I will be free and easy.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Luckily I am not on the AT so tomorrow I get to wake up and decide if I want to hike / walk to my parents(mostly weather dependent) . Will be my longest yet (23mi) but mostly flat. Won’t have my weights on so besides water I will be free and easy.
    I’ve already made the decision that my Sunday morning hikes will continue, regardless of weather. Congrats on the miles, that’s awesome!

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I’ve already made the decision that my Sunday morning hikes will continue, regardless of weather. Congrats on the miles, that’s awesome!
    No matter what I will be out but mileage and route is in question. I‘m committed shoot me a PM if you need someone to share your milestones and goals with. No one cares about it in my house.

@smokingman so since this IS a gun page….. were you armed during your hike? just bear spray? Or just thoughts and prayers?

really appreciate your insight on the AT. I got my daughter who is 10 told me she would hike it with me when she graduates before I’m “too old”

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    No matter what I will be out but mileage and route is in question. I‘m committed shoot me a PM if you need someone to share your milestones and goals with. No one cares about it in my house.

@smokingman so since this IS a gun page….. were you armed during your hike? just bear spray? Or just thoughts and prayers?

really appreciate your insight on the AT. I got my daughter who is 10 told me she would hike it with me when she graduates before I’m “too old”
    I can’t say nobody cares, my wife and son are definitely my cheering section :): I appreciate the offer, definitely share your achievements here, nothing beats seeing folks you enjoy talking to succeed, and I hope maybe something in this thread inspires others to get out there and give it a try, I know I sure have enjoyed getting out in the woods again!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    This is why I can’t thank you enough for sharing your experience with me, and all of Ingo for that matter. I’ve given myself a long term plan, to get myself into shape and learn these skills, but who knows what happens in that time frame, but you may very well inspire another, or it might spur an Ingo group hike! Regardless I sincerely appreciate all the advice and the experience you give us.

You asked a few posts ago why I want to do it, I’ve been thinking about that a lot, I wanted to give you a better answer than “cause I want to”. I mean that’s part of it, don’t get me wrong, I want the experience, I want the to explore, but I also want to know if I have what it takes to do it, to endure the bad days, the determination to change the mindset of “how much farther” to I did this, now let’s see if I can go a little farther. I know the romance of it will wear off pretty quickly when it’s cold and raining or I’m at the point of exhaustion but I have to keep going. I know I have drive, I know of I set my mind to it I can accomplish it, but I’m realistic and know there’s a lot of things out of my control. Maybe that’s not a good enough reason, I don’t know, but I know when I hike now and I really don’t want to run up the giant hill, because I’m flat out worn out, I still do, because I know if I dig deep enough I can, and the only thing stopping me is my mind. So hopefully I can take all this information you and everyone in this thread has given and put it to use!
    To add to this, since the end of 2019, I’ve been trying to get myself into a better state of health, really started paying attention to my food and exercise, fast forward to today and I’m at 235 pounds, at my lowest last year I was at 196, down from a extremely horrible 360 pounds. When I go out and hike and jump over something or run up a hill or run up the stairs, well, the only way I can describe that feeling is freedom, like I’ve been freed from what was holding me down, quite literally. At 44, I feel like I’m in my twenties. It’s such a wonderful feeling to be alive and able to move, I just want that feeling all the time! I guess that’s another reason I want to do it.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    To add to this, since the end of 2019, I’ve been trying to get myself into a better state of health, really started paying attention to my food and exercise, fast forward to today and I’m at 235 pounds, at my lowest last year I was at 196, down from a extremely horrible 360 pounds. When I go out and hike and jump over something or run up a hill or run up the stairs, well, the only way I can describe that feeling is freedom, like I’ve been freed from what was holding me down, quite literally. At 44, I feel like I’m in my twenties. It’s such a wonderful feeling to be alive and able to move, I just want that feeling all the time! I guess that’s another reason I want to do it.
    4-5 years ago I felt like I was in the best shape of my life at 48ish. Now at 53 I’ve let myself go for a bit and trying to get that back.
    The key to my feeling great was Exercise Inc, the 20 minute a week thing. Skeptical going in but it worked and would highly recommend if you can afford it. I quit just before covid, looking a a busy season short handed, and now I’m not self motivated enough to rise to the level. I’m at some level, just not that level.
    The exercise Inc thing worked for me because I was never a gym rat, didn’t even know how to use the machines right probably. So it was a big change and their slow cadence idea really worked for me.
    Well anyway sorry for the big derail, see avatar.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    That is a great sounding walk/hike. It is something I would probably do. Walking/hiking somewhere totally changes your perception of the area and the journey. 10 minutes by car and you learn almost nothing about what is between the two. Walking/hiking though you see and hear so much.
    You will notice things that would be impossible to spot driving. I would encourage anyone to walk/hike the area you live in, because you do not really know it until you have.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

The only wildlife I was ever worried about was the kind that walked on two legs or slithers on the groud. I did encounter black bears and even had one I yelled at. I was with the "dirty thirties"(a group of 4 women), I was sitting at the picnic table eating supper when a black bear just casually comes hiking down the trail toward me.
    They were all in the shelter(doing YOGA) and could not see it. I stand up and yell at the bear, it turns around and runs. Out come the dirty thirty with me pointing "it was a bear",one of them starts to run TOWARD where it had been. Me yelling,her friends yelling,at her to stop. She gets back "what I have never seen a bear and I wanted to see it!". I explained to her why you do not chase a bear that is running away from you, her friends all agree with me. Her "oh". You will meet people who are clueless about what being in the wilderness means, some who have never even seen a night without city lights and are amazed at the fact it gets dark.

I carried for much of the trail. I did so legally. Obviously further north I did not. I hit a few FFL places along the trail as well, and eventually I had to ship my pistol home. It is tough on your firearm. If it is accessible it will be wet quite often. I carry almost every day, but I would actually not carry if I had to do again. A knife though I will never enter the wilderness without. Side note when I had that bear encounter my pistol was in my pack, well out reach in the shelter. Black bears I encountered were more afraid of me than I was of them both on my hike and in the woods in general.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    You will encounter every type of hiker on the AT,and in the groups you will find tons of types of personalities.
    The Rambo. This hiker is hiking to prepare for the end of the world. Usually easy to spot carrying 60lbs of gear and a drop leg holster. You will not encounter them after the first 60 miles or so. Best to avoid avoid them as they will want to talk about politics.

The Trex. They look normal when you first meet them. They do lack something most hikers consider essential gear. Trekking poles. You will encounter a few. By 1000 miles in they are indeed a rare type to spot,but it gets easier as their physical form has changed.

The olympian. They will be fit. The will no doubt want to share stories about the great feats of physical prowess they have accomplished in their life. You can often find them on rainy days in puddles crying to a deity about why they are cursed. You generally want to avoid them at camp. You can only listen about how great they are so many times.

The ultralight. They will have high tech,very expensive gear, and a pack weight around 5 ounces. They appear to otherwise be normal hikers until you reach camp. They will ask to borrow most anything you have. From fingernail clippers to your pot and stove/fuel. A true ultralight will even ask you for food, because they can not be bothered to carry enough.

The over nighter and the weekender. They may have a kitchen sink, but this is not a hiker to avoid. Be as friendly as possible to them. They carry gifts from the trail gods for thru hikers. Usually in the form of offerings of whole fruit or fresh meat that they will gladly share.(do not ask,do not beg, learn what yogi-ing is lol) Camp away from them though as their reward for carrying offerings is generally to party until 2am.

I may add to this list when I get bored or feel the urge lol.

My number one tip though is not something most think about consciously.
    Make friends. The isolation of thru hiking is very real. You are alone most of the time and we as a species can only take so many days of being alone in our heads day in and day out without sharing what we experience, and no one off the trail will have a clue.

The simplest way is at camp, but how do you talk to a person you have never meet after a 15 mile day of hiking in the rain? Ask them how they are doing and listen. If the first question fails to get much or any answer you can ask a more direct one. How are your feet? Ask them if they have a trail name,and give yours(this is a whole conversation with basic rules I could talk about if anyone has an interest). Do not ask just one person either. At the start you will see herds of people all with their own little groups forming. You can become a part of a group, but I advise meeting and talking to many people. Most will not be around in a month and even fewer in 5 months. Make friends and be friendly with those you encounter.
    It does not need to evolve into a conversation about life,goals,and avoid politics always. I would avoid topics that do not include food,gear,or trail life. You can actually insult someone asking what they do/did for a living fairly easily and things like politics,stock markets,and anything that generally makes up the modern world have no meaning on the trail(and some especially months in will freak out if you mention any type of news that is not earth shattering world important). Do that every day you see them, and the next time you are going to a town or hostel ask if they want to meet up and get some food.

Thru hiking is about the most individual thing someone can do for months on end in the modern world. It is not an easy life style and make no mistake that is really what it is. You may have loved ones not on the trail and may even be supported by them but they are not a part of your life style anymore. They can not offer to pick up and carry your pack over a mile to your next camp site because you twisted your ankle. No one outside of your life style can understand you are in a mental state that could use a day or two of company along the trail. Make friends on the trail and be aware of how those sharing your life style day after day are doing. You will at some point need them and them you, if for nothing else then to understand what it is you are experiencing.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I can’t say nobody cares, my wife and son are definitely my cheering section :): I appreciate the offer, definitely share your achievements here, nothing beats seeing folks you enjoy talking to succeed, and I hope maybe something in this thread inspires others to get out there and give it a try, I know I sure have enjoyed getting out in the woods again!
    Lol my wife and kids CARE they just don’t understand the accomplishments.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Lol my wife and kids CARE they just don’t understand the accomplishments.
    After pushing my wife through the woods and basically getting her to quit whining and start focusing on conquering one hill at a time she much better understands. She’s still pretty adamant that she’s never hiking again but still.

Top Bottom