• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What about the other set I posted? I believe they're synthetic and just over your weight requirement at 17oz.
    If I was to buy a LaSportiva now it would likely be this one. But as I just had foot surgery and am in a "boot" until at least February/March, not really looking too hard. Light. Modern footbed. Looks like it has plenty of rock protection. Low enough so it won't hinder movement, tall enough to protect (if barely) the ankle bones.

I did like my LaSportivas. Also liked my Zamberlains. Both top tier.

My current Hokas, which I can't even get on my left foot now, were purchased as much for the padding and width to accommodate my foot issue, which is hopefully now surgically resolved, but obviously is in the healing stage.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Ugh, Castleton. I might just order direct. They have a 30 day return policy, so if they don't fit I should be able to return or exchange them.
    There’s also Rusted Moon in Broadripple.
    I like REI enough, (not the woke rainbow crap!) but Rusted Moon is next level cool.

Very much worth the drive, and your supporting local.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Any good boots for daily wear, plus light hiking? I've used Merrill for this for the last 10 years, but if there are better that can be used for daily wear as well as light hiking, I'll have to look into them. The LaSportiva looks interesting, but I'm afraid my feet might get too hot since they're rated for harsh conditions. Any advise? By light hiking I mean hitting moderate to rugged trails for a 1 hour hike, or something like that. I usually go to Southwestway park and hike on the most rugged trails available for an hour a couple times a week in nice weather. Rarely get out if it's below 50.

I think everyone may have a slightly different recommendation based on their own foot, use, and experience. I liked Merrill, but quality seems to have declined in the past few years. Keen is still a solid choice, IMO. I've never used Oboz but hear nothing but good. Timberland is reputation mining and not worth the cost. Much of the upper end market is not accessible to me due to not making my size...

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and ordered a pair of the recommended boots from LaSportiva, so hopefully they'll work out. I agree that the quality of Merrill seems to have slipped a bit. I loved the first pair I had that lasted me a good 8 years, but this second pair isn't as comfortable and doesn't seem to fit or wear as well as the first pair. They're fine for out and about, but when I hike I want something better. If the LaSportiva works as well as I hope, I'm all good.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My last 10k RnG event was super rocky & hurt my feet. I forgot to insert my rock guards.

Rock guard trick...
    Trace your insole onto an old plastic milk carton or buy various thicknesses of plastic cutting boards from Amazon. Cut to fit. Place inside your shoes. Don't forget to punch a bunch of small drain holes.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Oboz Bridgers with Superfeet green insoles and Darn Tough socks work well for my feet. Very durable.

Backpack with a 25# +/- pack and my feet feel good after a 100 mile week. Have two pair broken in for my AT thru hike. Also testing out a pair of Hoka Speedgoats, happy so far.
    My daughter used Oboz and they worked well for her. I never hear anything bad about the brand other than they are often hard to find in stores. Outfitter type stores seem to carry the brand.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Mid GTX by any chance?

I've been wondering about them and I'll probably be due for a new pair of trail runners before summer is over.
    Tried on the Mid GTX and didn’t feel right for me. Got the Speedgoat 5 low cut and have done a few loops on the local trail.

Have hiked in boots my whole life, still trying to wrap my head around wearing sneakers in the woods.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Tried on the Mid GTX and didn’t feel right for me. Got the Speedgoat 5 low cut and have done a few loops on the local trail.

Have hiked in boots my whole life, still trying to wrap my head around wearing sneakers in the woods.
    I went to a pair and used them whenever I could. Night and day from boots, but they have their place (light pack, relatively well worn trails, etc..). Thinking the mid might be the best of both worlds, but looking for some real world reviews.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Anyone know of somewhere other than REI to try them on? My order came in and they don't fit. I need a half size up I'm guessing. I looked at the REI Castleton site, but they don't have that size in stock.
    Rusted Moon site says they handle lasportiva or whatever it is.
    RM doesn’t have the strongest online retail presence. It’s old school, like old school cool.

I could go down there and pay more for shoes and feel really good about it.
    I was there today to pick up my tuned skis which I had prepaid for, and I didn’t buy anything and I wish I had needed something.

Anyway, if your not married to the lasportivia’s they’ll fit you right up with something if they don’t have the next size up.

ETA: if you go tell Jake the CZ ditcher guy sent you. They’ll know. I’m in there 2-3 times a year or so but they remember me.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Anyone know of somewhere other than REI to try them on? My order came in and they don't fit. I need a half size up I'm guessing. I looked at the REI Castleton site, but they don't have that size in stock.
    Not sure why you’re against rei? BUT they have an awesome 100% satisfaction guarantee….. 1 year return them if they fail or whatever. Not trying to sell you on the big box store over the mom and pop at all but for someone that’s testing things out and unsure what they are looking for it is very useful.

Top Bottom