• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tlkidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    New Haven
    I am talking about High Standard pistols. I have 2 both from Hamden Ct. They are great shooters. Stopped making them in the late 70s or early 80s, then company was sold. New pieces are just not the same quality as the old ones. The Hamden guns are by far the best.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I used to collect them.

I had quite a few great High Standard pistols. Lost them in a divorce in 94 and just never regained the interest after that low blow. Came out of that with only 2. Gun show promoters used to give me a free table if I would put some out on display. I had all the hard to get ones, many in the box. Broke my heart!!!!
    High Standard was bought by a corporate raider in, I believe, 1978. They called themselves the Leisure Group. Typical of raiders, they sold off all of the company's assets and bankrupted the empty shell and stiffed the creditors and employees. They went chapter 11 in 82 and chapter 7 in 84. They moved from Hamden Conn. to Hartford in about 1980. A lot of the guns that were assembled after the move contained parts that were previously rejected by their quality control inspectors. Because of this, any guns marked Hartford are shunned by knowing High Standard buffs. Not all guns from that period contained sub-standard parts but you could not tell by looking. They even shipped guns with barrels without rifling.
    I was fortunate to meet and talk with a couple of upper echelon ex-employees in Florida and so learned a lot about what happened at High Standard over the years.
    I have a second model Field King, a 5 1/2 inch Citation and a fully dressed 7 1/4 inch citation now. Also one nickle plated western style revolver that is a good shooter as those go. Their pistols were great for the money and won a lot of matches. I have shot a lot of 297 to 300 scores with mine.
    I hope this gives you a little bit of info about the company and good luck in acquiring some more....John

matt4shadow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Hobart
    I have a High Standard Model A. Great gun. Custom grip was made by my Great Uncle to accommondate his handicap. Finish was bad, so I polished the entire gun and added light brushing marks. Did this because I will never sell it and wanted it to look nice. My favorite of my rimfire guns.

rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    I have owned several but collectors keep offering me more than people I buy them from do so I uncollect them at about the same rate I collect them .double nine revolvers and H-D Military's my favorites.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    I have a Supermatic Citation Military. It was my fathers from the late 60's. I sent it off and had it tuned up a fews years back. It is very nice to shoot. Rock solid. Very accurate.

Top Bottom