• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    After I found out my A1 upper is a Colt Commando or XM177 style Im going to make this a Vietnam Era looking rifle. The awesome music and watching the movies hasnt been helping. Im wanting to find the proper era Sling (more than likely a repro) and Im curious about the BCG. Im not sure if there stainless or just black thats still kind of minor I guess. I know that my lower is nothing close to era correct but Im going to make peace with that and just run with it. What other things should be done to make this more era correct. Ive already bought a 20rd GI mag and I need a few more lol Im probably going to go to GI Joes tomorrow to see if I can find any treasures. How about a Comic Book for the M16?

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Did they use the nylon M14 type sling? Clipped into the rear sling swivel, (that didn't swivel, lol) and had the adjustment buckle at the front. For the life of me I can't picture what they used right now. Thought the BCG was black. Oh, some guys clipped the sling to the front sight tower and around the rear burr stock and carried the rifle horizontal to the ground at the ready. The original slings made so much noise rattling around they went to the black "silent" slings. It's 3:30am, I can't think anymore.... :faint:

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Not to thread jack but I've wanted to put the short carbine length triangular hand guards on one of my 16" uppers. Can that be down and where can I find them?

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Go to ar 15. com. Hit the AR tab. Then Retro. Top of the page stickies. Anything by a guy named Ekie?. They are serious retro dudes. I play a little with the retro "look". These guys know about handguards, barrel twist rates, correct stocks. They are pretty much into correctness. So tread with caution if you decide to post.

Jimb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Cicero
    Most XM177’s were issued to spec ops, and the most common sling was a modified USGI General Purpose Carry strap modified with paracord loops sewn or tied into the end loops (Steel clips removed) to make a sling that’s wider, shorter, and silent. You can find them online with the paracord already sewn in, or square knots work well too.

Jimb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Cicero
    For the XM177 upper and BCG; nothing special just a standard A1 variant, and the BCG would’ve been the standard USGI chrome lined carrier and bolt, as well as the chrome lined pencil barrel. All of these are getting hard to find anymore at a non-crazy price though. The 4.5” moderator (replica) can actually be found at Brownells.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    After I found out my A1 upper is a Colt Commando or XM177 style Im going to make this a Vietnam Era looking rifle. The awesome music and watching the movies hasnt been helping. Im wanting to find the proper era Sling (more than likely a repro) and Im curious about the BCG. Im not sure if there stainless or just black thats still kind of minor I guess. I know that my lower is nothing close to era correct but Im going to make peace with that and just run with it. What other things should be done to make this more era correct. Ive already bought a 20rd GI mag and I need a few more lol Im probably going to go to GI Joes tomorrow to see if I can find any treasures. How about a Comic Book for the M16?
    Check out Troy.
    I bought a milsurp Colt Commando sling from them for my XM build. See the pics attached.

Attachments

• 20210606_165807.jpg
      20210606_165807.jpg
      7.6 MB · Views: 3
    • IMG_20210322_145538_519.jpg
      IMG_20210322_145538_519.jpg
      326.1 KB · Views: 3
    • 20210314_163441.jpg
      20210314_163441.jpg
      7.8 MB · Views: 3
    Top Bottom