• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    I just picked up 3 Hexmag Series 2 5.56 20 round magazines for bench shooting... They only hold 19 rounds.
    I did a google search and found no info on this. Strange. Maybe that's why they call them "Shortys", they're short holding a full 20 rounds?

_DSC0394-Edit.jpg _DSC0395-Edit.jpg

Looks to me like the floor plate has got too much height to it, keeping the last round from loading in the mag.
    Well, obviously it's got too much height to it.

I might add I've never had any issues whatsoever with Magpul or Lancer mags.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I just picked up 3 Hexmag Series 2 5.56 20 round magazines... They only hold 19 rounds.
    I did a google search and found no info on this. Strange. Maybe that's why they call them "Shortys", they're short holding a full 20 rounds?

View attachment 258505
    I am curious why you decided on the 20 rounders. I mean to be fair I have some GI 20 rounders to match the A1 clone I have, but why modern 20 rounders?

I can't find any ether, mayble you got a bum run, have you taken any of these apart?

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I just picked up 3 Hexmag Series 2 5.56 20 round magazines... They only hold 19 rounds.

View attachment 258505 View attachment 258514

Looks to me like the floor plate has got too much height to it, keeping the last round from loading in the mag.
    Well, obviously it's got too much height to it.
    Now that you have taken them down, I see the floor plate, that is interesting. I am wondering if the floorplate raised part isn't suposed to fit up between the parts of the anti tilt follower. Maybe Hexmag made a revision, and didn't check the fit on the more rarely used 20 rounders.

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    Now that you have taken them down, I see the floor plate, that is interesting. I am wondering if the floorplate raised part isn't suposed to fit up between the parts of the anti tilt follower. Maybe Hexmag made a revision, and didn't check the fit on the more rarely used 20 rounders.
    Possibly. I've got a CS question in to gun mag warehouse about this. We'll see what they say.

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    UPDATE: Hexmag series 2 20 round 5.56 magazines I received were not assembled correctly.
    See photos below

_DSC0395-Edit.jpg
    Mags I received; spring is not retained in the keeper of the floor plate.

hexmag-accessory-kit-Construction-1024x745.jpg
    New factory assembled magazines should have spring retained through keeper of floor plate.

Even with that being the case, the last round takes considerable effort to load-
    More so than would be expected compared to Magpul or Lancer magazines.

I still haven't received any correspondence from Gun Mag Warehouse on this.
    After scouring the internet I found images that illustrated the issue.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    UPDATE: Hexmag series 2 20 round 5.56 magazines I received were not assembled correctly.
    See photos below

View attachment 258951

View attachment 258952
    New factory assembled magazines should have spring retained through keeper of floor plate.

Even with that being the case, the last round takes considerable effort to load-

Contact hexmag, and let them know they need better quality control and better inspections of their magazines before sending them from the factory.

Little things like this should have been corrected before they left the factory.
    Thanks for this post. I'll stick with Duramag, D&H, Magpul, Okay Surefeed.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I am curious why you decided on the 20 rounders. I mean to be fair I have some GI 20 rounders to match the A1 clone I have, but why modern 20 rounders?

I can't find any ether, mayble you got a bum run, have you taken any of these apart?
    I get that reaction a lot. Didn’t understand it myself until I started using them. I’m hooked. Much more enjoyable maneuverable than 30s. Bench shooting or goin out in the woods. That being said I keep 30s close by as well.
    Also just like the way they look.
    64025566-CA6B-4CD5-B10D-9B1450D9F2C6.jpeg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I get that reaction a lot. Didn’t understand it myself until I started using them. I’m hooked. Much more enjoyable maneuverable than 30s. Bench shooting or goin out in the woods. That being said I keep 30s close by as well.
    Also just like the way they look.
    View attachment 258961
    I use 10rd for my bench work.
    Besides that 10rd if a hunting caliber is maximum amount of ammunition in Indiana as well while hunting.

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    Contact hexmag, and let them know they need better quality control and better inspections of their magazines before sending them from the factory.

Little things like this should have been corrected before they left the factory.
    Thanks for this post. I'll stick with Duramag, D&H, Magpul, Okay Surefeed.
    No kidding. At least they were cheap AND fixable. A couple of lessons learned!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I don't know why you strayed from the path, AR-15's are kinda like 1911's . AR's get Lancer , GI or Lancer magazines and 1911's get Wilson Combat magazines. Never cheap out on magazines

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    I don't know why you strayed from the path, AR-15's are kinda like 1911's . AR's get Lancer , GI or Lancer magazines and 1911's get Wilson Combat magazines. Never cheap out on magazines
    LOL cheap out. LMAO. I didn't buy them because they were cheap. They get good reviews and they happen to be cheap. Cheap! LOLOLOL

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    One must be correct on which brand magazine to use in the correct brand firearm. Failure to do so could cause the loss of a member's Man Card.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    See photos below

View attachment 258951

View attachment 258952

I blew up the pics and it looks like the big spring loop guide ground down to half its height would get you that last round in easier. I don't see why it's needed to be so tall. It's there to keep spring straight from what i see studying its function.

Top Bottom