• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This type of thing burns my ass. I know it can cost tens or hundreds of millions to bring a new drug to market. I don't expect anyone to work for free and I do not believe people have a right to health care. I also don't believe it should be a punishable offense to not buy in to what today they call health insurance which bears almost no resemblance to pre Obama insurance. It's a scam designed to do little other than drain money to keep the bloated monster humming along.

As with many other problem areas of our perverted system, I don't blame the individual doctors, nurses or technicians. While the FBI is now corruption incarnate, I don't condemn all FBI agents for it but that doesn't change the fact that it is beyond repair and needs to be dismantled just like our health care system.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I just read about how patients with insurance and drug copays are being screwed by the system brought to you by obummercare. The drug costs $600 per month, like in Sanders example , the patient pays their 20%-$120 copay and after the drug company discounts or kicks back 60% to the insurance company they pay the remainder $120. The patient actually paid not the 20% they were told, but 50% after paying for insurance to cover 80% of the cost of drugs, not smoke and mirrors BS.

This is how those drug discount cards work, It is likely that the CVS discount cards can get close to the insurance numbers.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I just read about how patients with insurance and drug copays are being screwed by the system brought to you by obummercare. The drug costs $600 per month, like in Sanders example , the patient pays their 20%-$120 copay and after the drug company discounts or kicks back 60% to the insurance company they pay the remainder $120. The patient actually paid not the 20% they were told, but 50% after paying for insurance to cover 80% of the cost of drugs, not smoke and mirrors BS.

This is how those drug discount cards work, It is likely that the CVS discount cards can get close to the insurance numbers.
    Yep, GoodRX or the like.

Heck, my dental insurance contracted rates are about 60% of what my dentist charges (just had a dental visit, so those numbers are fresh in my mind).

The system is jacked...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I could be wrong, but if the data existed, I'd go out on a limb and bet my mortgage that the blood pressure and heart rate of people being "grilled" by congress would show a steady decline over the decades.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a statement on the subpoenas that says something like "The public expects us to look angry and to speak harshly to you, but don't worry, it's all for show. You can take us out for a nice dinner and drinks while you're in town and we'll all have a good laugh about it."

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Let's not forget the high deductible/low monthly premium scam that includes increasing the deductible amount and premium every year. We recently changed from my employer's HDHP to my Wife's because they raised the monthly premium by 150% this year. It totally defeated the premise as the monthly premium was now just below the normal deductible and high monthly premium plan. When asked about it the answer was that the plan was more popular than anticipated and had to pay out a number of high cost claims so they had to make up for it. My employer is also not a small employer, they happen to be one of the largest in their state (not Indiana as I work remotely).

While I'm sure it would be painful initially I still think the system would self correct if there was no medical insurance/care. The medical industry would then have to charge what people could afford rather than the obfuscated non-sense of prices we have now.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Or that insurance companies can deny any drug they see fit. I have a specialized drug I take for my uber high triglycerides. Insurance company won't cover it at all, $400/month my out of pocket cost. They will pay for 3 substitutes that the dr already tried and did not work. No ammount of ppwk from the doctors office will change their mind. Luckily fall a generic finally came available for the one that works and I'm down to $80/ month.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I'll go out on a limb and say that the Big Pharma commercials on TV should be banned. With all the possible side effects they advertise, tells me that it shouldn't be put in a human body. Let along someone wanting their doctor to prescribe it to them because the TV said it will work. Obamacare was an authoritarian scam disguised as a band aid on a foot for a head injury. But in general, health care for the most part isn't about healing as it is about the return customer. I look for all natural remedies since my mom died due to being on too much of their poison. And even left the music industry because I refused the jab. Sorry rant over. lol

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'll go out on a limb and say that the Big Pharma commercials on TV should be banned. With all the possible side effects they advertise, tells me that it shouldn't be put in a human body. Let along someone wanting their doctor to prescribe it to them because the TV said it will work. Obamacare was an authoritarian scam disguised as a band aid on a foot for a head injury. But in general, health care for the most part isn't about healing as it is about the return customer. I look for all natural remedies since my mom died due to being on too much of their poison. And even left the music industry because I refused the jab. Sorry rant over. lol

TUCKER CARLSON: You’re saying that pharma buys TV spots not to convince people to ask for specific drugs from their physicians, but to subvert the news business?

CALLEY MEANS: This is an open secret working for pharma.

TUCKER CARLSON: I never thought of that.

CALLEY MEANS: This is an open secret working for pharma. This is an open secret. The kind of silly ads you see between the news breaks, the points of that is not — it’s largely to impact the customer. But the pharma has already got that. They’ve already bought off the doctors. They’re good on that.

No, this is an open secret. The news ad spending from pharma is a public relations lobbying tactic, essentially to buy off the news. They’re not investigating pharma. The news has become basically a referee. That you are a terrible anti-science luddite for asking why the shots that we require our kids to get, that fundamentally by their own advertising, change the immune system of that child for life…

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've run into similar in the past with a maintenance drug. I found a pharmacy in Canada that would work with me but my insurance denied the claim because "foreign sourced medications do not meet the stringent safety requirements of domestically sourced medications". I was paying for the drug myself and had sent in a claim to my insurance for reimbursement. They added that they could provide the same drug to me at a more competitive price point. When I received my first order it came from a lab in Taiwan!

It's all about the Benjamin's baby, yours in their pockets.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I could be wrong, but if the data existed, I'd go out on a limb and bet my mortgage that the blood pressure and heart rate of people being "grilled" by congress would show a steady decline over the decades.
    What makes you think that? I'd say your limb would break and you'd lose your house. Obesity is the leading comorbitity. There more people eating processed foods than ever before. There's more people leading a sedentary lifestyle that in previous decades. Quite frankly folks move less, exert less energy and eat more unhealthy foods. These factors most certainly play a role in your cardiac health. I'd say >75% of my patients are on B/P meds.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    What makes you think that? I'd say your limb would break and you'd lose your house. Obesity is the leading comorbitity. There more people eating processed foods than ever before. There's more people leading a sedentary lifestyle that in previous decades. Quite frankly folks move less, exert less energy and eat more unhealthy foods. These factors most certainly play a role in your cardiac health. I'd say >75% of my patients are on B/P meds.
    He is talking about business as usual in DC not healthcare.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    And instead they should be making different lifestyle choices. That is the current state of affairs, don’t feel good? Here is a pill with godawful side effects. Your welcome!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    And instead they should be making different lifestyle choices. That is the current state of affairs, don’t feel good? Here is a pill with godawful side effects. Your welcome!
    The docs I've worked with in the past 15yrs say exactly that. But in the interim they have to prescribe something to correct the disease process or at least treat the symptoms. If they don't they're setting themselves up for lawsuits.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yeah, I have gone down that path. I ate myself into the morbidly obese category, around 290 i think was my high water mark. Next think I knew I was on 2 BP meds. one of them messes with your sugar levels, which likely would have happened anyway, so then I added the metformin (never hit the magic diabetes number thankfully). It was at that point I figured out I was heading to an early grave. So I added daily exercise and cut back on the volume of food I was eating, especially sugar stuff. I had always told myself that I got plenty of exercise from gardening and stuff.
    so anyway, I am off all the BP stuff. My sugar is back normal, but he hasn’t taken me off the metformin yet since it doesn’t seem to have any side effects for me. Now the problem is my bad cholesterol Is high even though my total is under 200. So he wants to put me on a statin. I have increased my exercise and added fish a couple meals a week. I also have oatmeal for breakfast 4-5 days a week. I will see if that helps when I go back for the blood tests in a few months.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Yeah, I have gone down that path. I ate myself into the morbidly obese category, around 290 i think was my high water mark. Next think I knew I was on 2 BP meds. one of them messes with your sugar levels, which likely would have happened anyway, so then I added the metformin (never hit the magic diabetes number thankfully). It was at that point I figured out I was heading to an early grave. So I added daily exercise and cut back on the volume of food I was eating, especially sugar stuff. I had always told myself that I got plenty of exercise from gardening and stuff.
    so anyway, I am off all the BP stuff. My sugar is back normal, but he hasn’t taken me off the metformin yet since it doesn’t seem to have any side effects for me. Now the problem is my bad cholesterol Is high even though my total is under 200. So he wants to put me on a statin. I have increased my exercise and added fish a couple meals a week. I also have oatmeal for breakfast 4-5 days a week. I will see if that helps when I go back for the blood tests in a few months.
    You can supplement with krill oil too in addition to eating fish. I take a 1000mg capsule every night at bedtime. It doesn't move my numbers much on it's own bit I have yet to meet a cardiologist that says krill/fish oil is bad for you long term. The data actually says the opposite. And it's relatively cheap. My BMI is 27 and I still have HTN and hyperlipidemia. I lift weights 3x week and maybe eat out 2x every 6-8 weeks. Physically I'm probably in the best shape of my life at 45. Still have to take meds to keep my numbers in check. Some things are just hereditary unfortunately. Can't change family history

Top Bottom