Henry Big Boy - Brass or Steel .357Mag for Deer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Hey Folks -
    Been a looong while since I posted. Getting settled into the new house and job has taken a bunch of my time. VERY happy with my move to Indiana - have to say some of the nicest folks I've ever met. PERIOD!
    On to my question:
    My FFL buddy in North Dakota has advertised a promotion where you can buy ANY Henry Rifle and have your own personalized serial number, up to 12 characters, only 1 has to be numeric. Since I can't use my .270Win to hunt here, I need another rifle, and the wifey is missing her some venison.... a win-win combo. I was considering getting a Big Boy in .357mag. I miss my S&W 686 and it is on my short list of next purchases. My question being, since I've always used the .270 for deer, is the .357 'enough' (I think it should be)? My other question is do I go with the heavier, 'classic' Henry in brass and the octagonal barrel for $720 (no tax) or the lighter, 'uglier' Steel ($680)? I know it is a personal choice, but I can see the pluses and minuses for either. The pretty one can get banged up afield, not that I am the kind that is too fussy on looks (I have a fugly Stevens 200 that is a deer dropper) but I love the look of the gun... or I can have the 'uglier' Steel cerakoted to make it unique. The Steel version is #1.5 lighter and may be easier in field situations vis-a-vis range/bench shooting.
    https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/big-boy/
    https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-steel/
    I have to make the decision by 3/31, the cutoff date to order. It seems like a decent price for either rifle, and I've bought a few guns from them. A Mom& Pop and Son operation, and they have always treated me well (got a NIB Winchester SX3 .20ga for less than $700 - my fave pheasant gun) - It's a unique opportunity to really personalize my gun (Already have the serial# picked out).
    I will try and not be such a stranger.
    Thanks in advance for the advice/input -
    ND

dcat91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Paradise
    Personally? If youre going to get a Henry, go brass! Its just part of the iconic look of the Henry.
    With that said,when the .357 was only available in extra sturdy N frames and such the round was loaded very hot compared to today, in the Henry you can put out some STOUT loads. It would be my choice of round but I have downsized my collection to .45lc/45-70/.35 rem and 12 gauges

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    There are ways to mitigate that - have a stainless barrel on my AR and wrapped it in self stick gauze to counter any 'reflection' when I was out coyote hunting on the ND prairies. Spray on some Plasti-Dip before going afield, is an option as well - It peels off easily afterwards. At least that was one of my thoughts - or don't worry about it and just be aware of lighting and position. But is it worth the inconvenience. My other thought is the heavier gun will reduce the felt recoil. I have neck/upper back issues due to an injury suffered when I was a LEO - so that, too, is a consideration. But harder to hold steady.... OY!
    Tired - past this ol' manz bedtime.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    dcat91 -That's what I was thinking.....
    on the flip side Paperboy makes the point about steel in 'the woods'.
    Therein lies my dilemma.
    I was lucky in that hunting in ND is mainly on the plains, and not much 'woods' - pretty much open range land, and not any obstacles. Haven't hunted in these them thar woods, yet - So I am unfamiliar with that aspect of hunting. I know I was spoiled.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Get the steel frame.
    Less glint, less weight, less price, and (at least theoretically) more durable.
    Yes, .357 Magnum -- at least with the proper bullet, is enough for deer within about 75 yards.
    You can stretch that out to about 125 yards max if you go with the .44 Magnum version.

dcat91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Paradise
    dcat91 -That's what I was thinking.....
    on the flip side Paperboy makes the point about steel in 'the woods'.
    Therein lies my dilemma.
    I was lucky in that hunting in ND is mainly on the plains, and not much 'woods' - pretty much open range land, and not any obstacles. Haven't hunted in these them thar woods, yet - So I am unfamiliar with that aspect of hunting. I know I was spoiled.

How often will you use this gun in the woods vs going to the range? If this is a one time deal go with what you REALLY want, I used a marlin in 44 mag the last 2 Years, did I like it? Yeah, it was a compromise though, what I REALLY wanted was a Winchester 1873 clone in .45LC and let me say my hunt was that much more enjoyable, my range time is more enjoyable..they have wraps you can use in the field, you can't wrap a golden boy in brass ;) I've sold off the vast majority of my firearms to get the 4 I've always wanted and let me say I'm much much happier for it! Don't let a few days of the year decide what you want, you have a unique opportunity, why not go all the way?

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    While the brass receivers sure do look nice and are much more classic looking, for deer hunting i personally would go with the steel version. I'd also also go with 44mag if you're open to that caliber just for more energy, knock down power, bigger bullet, etc. or even 45-70, but that recoil might be too much depending on your neck/back (would have to trim the cases to 1.8" unless the current caliber change gets approved).

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I have both the Big Boy and Big Boy Steel in 357. From experience, felt recoil between the two is maybe marginally better with the heavier Big Boy, and holy crap is it a looker, what a beautiful rifle. But the added weight of the Big Boy makes the lighter Steel version the more practical choice IMHO. If you don't have a decent rest to shoot from, the octagonal barrel of the Big Boy gets heavy after awhile. Plus, the Steel version has nice rubber at the end of the butt stock to help absorb recoil, and the fore stock is textured (vs. the smooth stock on the Big Boy), making the Steel easier to grip. The Steel is also ready for a sling, and you'll have to drill into the Big Boy to attach one. Even though it's not as pretty, the Steel version is still very nice looking, and has that great Henry lever action.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I would go with the steel. The biggest reason is weight. The steel rifle is lighter and in 357 or 44 mag recoil is going to be easy. In woods hunting you will be packing it all day and every oz less counts. The less your rifle weighs the more you can carry in your goody bag. If it's a range toy that will be taken hunting I would go with the brass one. More weight riding the bags makes for smaller groups and more fun shooting. Both are great rifles.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I have the 44 mag steel version and love it. I will eventually get the brass version too, but because I use this as a hunting rifle, I wanted to get the one I would cry the least about if I scratched or dinged it.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    HEY ND, hope things are going well.

I actually didn't go out hunting a day or 2 this last season because of rain, didn't want my 1980's blued Marlin to get wet. Which got me to thinking I need a deer gun that I can take out in any kind of weather & not worry about it. If you go with the steel version & ceracoat or something similar will give you that option, I supposed you could ceracoat the brass but that would just be wrong.

As far as the .357 vs .44 debate, I believe the .357 is capable of 100+ yards especially with handloads, with that said I am looking to get an all weather rifle in .357 or .44. If you happen to be coming this way you can shoot full power loads in my Marlin to see how the recoil feels to you, I imagine it is comparable in weight to the Henry.
    We still need to get up there & have lunch with you & the Mrs.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    That is my dilemma - all great points. I would use it more at the range, but still need to use it for deer on occasion. I LOVE the look of the brass Big Boy. Can't afford both, or else there would be no question.

And.. IF, Indiana ever decides on allowing rifle for deer, I can use the .270 in the field. I think I will go to a couple of the 'Big Box' retailers that heve them to take a look at them live and in person.

dieselrealtor - yes, we will definitely have to get together, now that I have decent/regular hours at work..... just like you ;) hahaha

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    I've decided......

I will say it was an interesting afternoon. I drove 30 minutes to go to Inlaws and Outlaws Gun Shop in Gas City. I went there a couple of months ago during the week. Nice shop and the guy was friendly, so I thought I'd come back and patronize the business. I believe in supporting Mom and Pop stores. Well, I get there 30 minutes before closing. They aren't busy at all. One clerk was helping folks with ammo and a ZZ Top looking dude was leaning on the counter chatting with some guy about nothing in particular (obviously not buying/selling at that point) just run of the mill gun chat. There was a gal at a different counter doing some paperwork and scurry around. I took one of their Henry's off the display and checked it out. I put it back, and walked around a bit and then went to the counter. Neither clerk acknowledged my existence, other than a cursory glance.
    I grab 2 bricks of .22lr ammo and put it on the counter, and start looking at other ammo behind the counter (chirp-chirp-chirp from the clerks) Not even, "Hey, we'll be with you in a minute." I was standing there for 10 minutes+, by the clock. Nothing. I finally said, aloud, "Really? You got to be kidding!" and walked out. I was ready to spend a couple hundred bucks, TODAY, on some ammo..... neither of them was the guy I talked to before, whom was one of the owners, I do believe. I might go back in 1 more time to see, but my time and gas$$ have value and they wasted both. At this point in time they can go F themselves.

So, I went to McGalliard Gun Shop in Munice. It is right down the road from my work. They are BUSY. I walk in and one guy immediately asks , "Can I help You?" I told him I was considering the differences between the Big Boy .357M in brass vs. Steel. "You going to use it?" I was a bit taken aback by his blunt, but obvious question. "What do you mean?" He says, if its going to sit on the wall and look pretty or be an occasional range queen? If so get the brass. If you are going to use it to go afield and hunt go with the steel; he proceeds to give the pluses and minuses of both and why.
    They had one of each on the wall, so I ask if it would be OK to handle them. He appreciated that I asked and said to go ahead. I hefted both, and that did it for me. I will be going with the steel. The brass is beautiful, but since I will be using it, the lighter steel and the overall feel of it seemed 'right'. Just what I was hoping for. McGalliard far surpassed IanO in customer service by a million miles! And McG only charges $20 to do FFL paperwork. Hell I had to pay $50 for paperwork when I bought my .270 from my boss in CA.... and they charged BOTH of us! My guy in ND charged me $10 - I said, "10 bucks?" He said, "Is that too much, or is $5 OK?" He operated out of his house, and only did it part-time. I told George $10 is just fine - good country folk.

So, the choice is going to be steel, for practicality and 'feel', rather than the beauty of the brass. Now to have 'the conversation' with the Missus....

I appreciate the input. It definitely helped in the process.... I appreciate it!
    ND from ND

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Glad to hear about your good experience.
    I'm very familiar with McG, and I've been in there several times, although I haven't bought a gun there just yet.
    Yes, they're definitely quick to respond the moment that you walk in the door.
    I have no idea why the bozos in I and O were so rude.
    Do they not want to make money?

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Glad to hear about your good experience.
    I'm very familiar with McG, and I've been in there several times, although I haven't bought a gun there just yet.
    Yes, they're definitely quick to respond the moment that you walk in the door.
    I have no idea why the bozos in I and O were so rude.
    Do they not want to make money?

Ya, I was really surprised and it was unexpected. The first time I went there the guy was very helpful. This time, I had $$ to spend and they did not give a flyin' flip, as a friend of mine likes to say, to keep from cussing. Price-wise McG was also a bit cheaper, in line with what I'm expecting to pay; however I want the personalized serial #.... that's what got me motivated at this point in time. I have discussed it with Da Missus before, and now need to pull the trigger. I need to get proficient with it in time for deer season. Right?? ;)

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    If I had the cash for a Henry Big Boy, I would go all in and get the brass receiver, but that's just me.
    It is a fine looking firearm - if it wasn't going to be a field gun as well as a range gun I'd go brass. It is definitely tugging at the strings.... STOP IT! Already doing this :bash: over the decision... back and forth.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It is a fine looking firearm - if it wasn't going to be a field gun as well as a range gun I'd go brass. It is definitely tugging at the strings.... STOP IT! Already doing this :bash: over the decision... back and forth.

Hey, look at it this way: The few original Henry 1860 rifles with steel frames out there are worth many times what the brass frame versions go for.
    The steel frame is still a very handsome rifle, and to my eyes actually a little better looking than that flashy brass version.

Top Bottom