• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    So I'm up in the air about what kind of optics I would like to put on my rifle. I feel that some sort of do sight would be best but not sure which would be a good choice and where to get it from. I have a flat picatiny rail which is ready for some kind of sight. Ideas????

lildave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am no expert but working at a gun shop I hear alot of pros and cons for different systems. The Eotech, the one that takes regular batteries, seems to be the most popular. We do have them in stock so stop by and look. BeechGrove Firearms-207 Main St. one block west of Emerson.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    So I'm up in the air about what kind of optics I would like to put on my rifle

It really depends on how much you want to spend, what you are trying to accomplish with the rifle, and what is the rifle set up? There are quite a few choices out there, I have used Aimpoints, EoTechs, Burris Extreme Tactical scopes, Burris Speed Dots's, Burris Fast Fire, Millit Red Dots, BSA Red Dots, Trijicon NSN and TA's, plus many more.
    So it really helps to know the answers to the questions above.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Unless you have your heart set on some sort of red dot or reflex sight, maybe try some iron sights first? I don't know your level of marksmanship or experience, so don't take that as an insult. I also don't know if you have them already, but it's always a good idea to have some back up irons laying around too.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I have a solid front sight and a flip up rear sight. I am a former marine so I have extensive work with iron sights. I have also used ACOGs before. I don't really know if I want to fork out the large amount of money for an ACOG and I would rather keep my rifle more for quick acquisition of targets. I agree with you, everyone should be good with their iron sights and I have already dialed my rifle in, just looking for something a little more high speed. Does anyone know any about the EOtech sight with the magnifier??? would this be a good way to go so you have long range as well as short quick aquisition???? Thanks guys

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have a solid front sight and a flip up rear sight. I am a former marine so I have extensive work with iron sights. I have also used ACOGs before. I don't really know if I want to fork out the large amount of money for an ACOG and I would rather keep my rifle more for quick acquisition of targets. I agree with you, everyone should be good with their iron sights and I have already dialed my rifle in, just looking for something a little more high speed. Does anyone know any about the EOtech sight with the magnifier??? would this be a good way to go so you have long range as well as short quick aquisition???? Thanks guys

For serious (duty/defense) use, the Aimpoint wins, hands down. I've seen too many problems with the EO's to trust them, plus their control setup and battery life are less than ideal, IMO. For recreational use, you can get by with less (EOTech, Burris XTS-135, SPOT, etc).

What I've seen of the magnifiers has not impressed me, and if you do most of your shooting at close to medium ranges or in dynamic situations (on the move, multiple targets, etc), you'll end up keeping it removed or folded down anyway. Also consider that by the time you add a magnifier to your Aimpoint or Eotech, you're pretty much in ACOG territory, cost-wise.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've used all kinds of red dots from the cheapest to the most expensive. I've never been satisfied with cheapies or mid range red dots, because they always failed well before the low initial cost could justify. They are false economy in my opinion.

Unless it's for a .22 used for plinking, the only two brands I will consider are:

Aimpoint
    EOTech

If your budget is tight, look for a used Aimpoint Comp M2 or ML2. A used Aimpoint is a much better value than a brand new mid-range or cheap red dot.

I do not share the prejudice against EOTechs, but then I've never owned or used the models that have the most problems (those that use the N-cells). My personal EOTechs (AA versions) have tolerated years of vibrations from riding in a vehicle, which is probably the most damaging thing you can do to them short of smashing them on purpose with a sledge hammer, and I've had zero problems. You can't duplicate that kind of stress in a class or 20. I'm not worried about my EOTech working when I need it. I won't bet on someone else's though.

I also like the EOTech reticle pattern, which some people hate.

If I could afford it, I'd probably get an Aimpoint Comp M4 for my next rifle. I'd like to get the Micro T-1, but I've only seen them advertised with the 4 MOA dot, and I'd prefer the 2 MOA. One of the reasons why I originally chose the EOTech over the Aimpoint Comp ML2 (this was a few years ago) is because the EOTech does not require additional mounting hardware. The M4 and Micros have their own integral mounts (although I've seen aftermarket mounts), which addresses what I perceived as a shortcoming of their previous products.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    This is one area that rhino and i will diverge somewhat. while the aimpoints and the eotechs (i prefer the reticle in the eotech) are top drawer, they are also quite expensive. sometime ago i decided to test an ADCO mirage tactical reddot on an m4gery build. i didn't expect much from this sight, but after a couple of thousand rounds, thousands of miles in my truck and a class with henk iversson, the sight has performed admirably. IF the aimpoint or the eotech is in your budget, by all means put one on your rifle and you will be well satisfied. if your budget doesn't, then a midpriced sight, i think my dealer cost was around $150 for the adco, may do a good job for you.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Aimpoint, hands down.

I prefer the ML3-2moa model, but lust for the new M4s.

I will never own an Eothingy of any model again, ask shooter521 why.

Last edited:

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I just ran a mag through my 9mm AR. First time using the Aimpoint C3 other than sighting in. Brightest setting with both eyes opening hittin dead on at about 35 yards. It is bright and sunny and not a problem seeing the dot. I have bought a couple diffrent cheap red dots that you could not see in bright sunlight. I now have 2 aimpoint clones in route to try on my .22 AR and GSG-5PK. Aimpoint is well worth the money.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Does your rear sight get in the way??? or even your front sight?

The word you're looking for is "co-witness," meaning the iron sights and dot can be seen simultaneously. When the iron sights are aligned, the dot will appear to sit on the tip of the front sight post. With the pictured setup, the irons line up in about the middle of the optic's window. With a LaRue mount, they line up in the lower 1/3 of the window, providing a less cluttered sight picture.

A couple helpful graphics, cobbed from elsewhere on the 'net:

T1_cowitnesscopy.jpg

fetch.dll

Last edited:

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Does your rear sight get in the way??? or even your front sight?

With this setup I have a 1/3 lower co-witness. As for the sights getting in the way.... no, they work as designed. I use the irons until I need the optic or vise versa. This set up works for me real well. It takes training/practice to learn the setup but is easy to pick up. I used to use a flip up on the rear but I found it to be more of a distraction than anything. The current setup feels more "normal" to me.

YMMV,
    TGR

Last edited:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have sights from the three best. I own 2 Eotechs, 2 Aimpoints and 1 ACOG. If you don't plan on banging the heck out of your rifle then I recommend the Eotech 512 for your first. Aimpoint and ACOG will take what ever you dish out but will cost you two to three times the price of a 512. Expect to pay around 400 for your Eotech and two to three times that for the other two. I like my Eotechs.

I also recommend LaRue Mounts. LaRue is a great place to buy both the above sights with their mounts. Google LaRue Tactical. I have bought many times from them. Good People in the Center of Texas. They also have great iron sites for backup.

However, PLEASE support our INGO Members when ever you can.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom