• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I have 2 chipmunks in my backyard that are digging through all my flowers and other plants. I threw out a mouse trap but those little bastards are too quick. any suggestions?

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Sit out there with a baseball bat!!?? SLAM...Chipmunk stew!

I've heard certain plants keep certain animals away. Try googling *Plants to deter(sp?) chipmunks*. Maybe you'll find something!

Last edited:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Be careful..... some are armed!!! :D

chipmunklogo.gif

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    if you back yard is shielded and you can get close to them, sounds like a job for a p22 w/ can. if you cannot get that close sounds like a job for a 10/22 w/scope & can ::ar15::cheers:

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I have 2 chipmunks in my backyard that are digging through all my flowers and other plants. I threw out a mouse trap but those little bastards are too quick. any suggestions?

I gather you don't live in a neighborhood that would take kindly to you whipping out the 12 guage eh? ;)

Might be fun practicing with a slingshot. Seriously. Those things are LETHAL if you know what you're doing. And they can be amazingly accurate too. Nicest thing about them... you NEVER run out of ammo. :rockwoot:

Or, get a cat.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    well guns are a no go per a pending divorce if used. I have a blow gun though maybe that would work? I was thinking more along the lines of poison, trap, etc.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    how about you go to the taxidermist, buy a display chipmunk, tie him to a small wooden cross, light it on fire, let the hair burn some, put it out and then place it in your garden.

problem solved.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    how about you go to the taxidermist, buy a display chipmunk, tie him to a small wooden cross, light it on fire, let the hair burn some, put it out and then place it in your garden.

problem solved.

because somewhere an "ethnic" chipmunk would declare me a racist:rolleyes:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I seem to remember a method vaguely that called for a 5 gallon bucket filled half way with water. Then some sunflower seeds were used as bait....it lured them to leap into the bucket of water. They aren't aware chipmunks can't swim, so they drown.

Never tried that method, but I recall it made sense. Try googling something in that order.

And if you try it, don't cuss me when you have to empty a 5 gallon bucket of dead wet furry foundation ruiners. :D :yesway:

Happy Hunting!

RedRedWine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pellet guns aren't an option for me and I've tried poison pellets of all forms, and the dang critters were still everywhere. One time I spotted one mocking me by coming up on my deck and eating sunflower seeds he took from my bird feeders 20 feet away... and that did it. The war was on.

Mouse traps? Forget it! Get the old fashioned huge spring-loaded rat traps. Put a dab of peanut butter on the trip lever, not as bait but as an adhesive. Stick some bird seeds, including sunflower seeds, in the peanut butter plus a few scattered around the trip lever as an attractant.

In 2 weeks I nabbed 12 chippies between 2 traps, and then they dried-up. If I saw any evidence of them returning, I'd set out the traps and quell the resurgence within a week.

It's virtually a guarantee to work. Just make sure you don't have a neighborhood cat that likes peanut butter!

PS- Yep, I had one 'incident' of a curious Blue Jay, but...

Top Bottom