• ...and so much more!
  • TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    I recently purchased an ak that turned out to be a mess. Long story short it closes on my no go gauge. I have ordered a new barrel and was wondering if i should order a new bolt as well? Who in indiana besides definitive arms will do a barrel change? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    What AK is it, kit build? Factory gun? Milled or stamped? What country? Romanian? Bulgarian? Russian? USA made Etc? Before mucking about with a barrel change it’s possible that a bolt swap could work out for you. I would look at the trunnions also in case they’re cracked or something like that. And if the gun is a US made gun with suspect trunnions (IO, Century US made, Riley defense, etc) it’s possible you don’t want to waste time on it at all

pictures would be a plus.

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    It is a cg1 from Atlantic firearms. Cg1 receiver with polish kit.
    4b454b85d6d55a18c875dd2dea961eb8.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If you recently purchased it from Atlantic Firearms I would give them a call and see what they say. Their customer service is usually top notch.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Second on calling the manufacturer and seeing what they say.

then I would see how the gun does with a “field” gauge, and possibly a different no-go. Is this the first time headspace has been checked? Source a different bolt and check headspace? A bolt swap COULD be an easier and cheaper fix if the trunnion isn’t damaged (if combloc forged trunnion that’s unlikely to be your problem, but I think some of the new commercial polish parts were cast trunnions)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would also call manufacturer. They will more than likely repair or replace it no cost but shipping. If they don't and you can't fix it yourself pedal it.

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    Second on calling the manufacturer and seeing what they say.

then I would see how the gun does with a “field” gauge, and possibly a different no-go. Is this the first time headspace has been checked? Source a different bolt and check headspace? A bolt swap COULD be an easier and cheaper fix if the trunnion isn’t damaged (if combloc forged trunnion that’s unlikely to be your problem, but I think some of the new commercial polish parts were cast trunnions)
    I checked headspace before shooting at it would not close on the gauge but now it does unfortunately

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Just to put your mind at ease. Take a fired case from your rifle and put an empty 38 special case over the bullet and with the open neck resting on the shoulder. Now, take a measurement of the two cases so nested. Now do the same with an unfired 7.62x39 case of the same head stamp as the fired case. Now you have a number that relates to the chamber depth. It is not real science, but it gives you an honest comparison.

Or better yet do the same measurement with your no-go gauge. If you are looking at less than .010 and are shooting steel cases and not reloading I'd live with it.

It sounds complicated, but it's really pretty simple.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just to put your mind at ease. Take a fired case from your rifle and put an empty 38 special case over the bullet and with the open neck resting on the shoulder. Now, take a measurement of the two cases so nested. Now do the same with an unfired 7.62x39 case of the same head stamp as the fired case. Now you have a number that relates to the chamber depth. It is not real science, but it gives you an honest comparison.

Or better yet do the same measurement with your no-go gauge. If you are looking at less than .010 and are shooting steel cases and not reloading I'd live with it.

It sounds complicated, but it's really pretty simple.

giphy.gif

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I checked headspace before shooting at it would not close on the gauge but now it does unfortunately

Then I will say it again. WBP Was making cast trunnions and sending them in new commercial kits, is there evidence that your front trunnion is cst? Deformation, damage, locking recesses pushed back? Damage to the front of the receiver or the bolt?

if you have the rifle rebarreled, and the issue is with an inferior front trunnion, then the issue isn’t fixed, just temporarily halted.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I know I'll probably catch flak for this, but I've never worried about checking headspace on any of my guns.
    And I wouldn’t, nor Haven’t on factory built guns of a good, known pedigree, OP has a parts kit build, on a commercial parts set (WBP Rogaw and not Radom military parts) with what could be a cast trunnion. AKs with cast trunnions tend to do funky things at higher round counts; see IO, century Ras47, Riley defense etc. or think of it like an AR with a cast barrel extension, potentially a bad thing with dire consequences.

I wouldn’t worry about a thing with a Vepr, Wasr10, Arsenal Bulgaria, Norinco, Saiga, etc. heck I wouldn’t even worry about headspace on ANY AR15 for that matter, most of the splodey bits are contained in the barrel extension.

It’s not an issue of deformed cases, but one of if the trunnion cracks, explodes or just breaks in two.

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    It does not appear the trunion has anything wrong with it at this point. I can buy a wasr trunion from apex if need be. I have a new barrel, bolt and little pieces on the way. I just dont know who in indiana besides difinitive that will do the job.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It does not appear the trunion has anything wrong with it at this point. I can buy a wasr trunion from apex if need be. I have a new barrel, bolt and little pieces on the way. I just dont know who in indiana besides difinitive that will do the job.

C&C Gun Repair
    Licensee Name: Couch, Henry W
    12045 Stewart St
    Aurora, IN 47001
    Phone: 812-926-3278

Try calling him about it.
    Mon, Tue, Thur, and Fri. 0900-1600

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Check it with a field gauge.

Headspace opens up on ak's after a 5k rounds or so as the rivets settle and things get banged around.

If it closes on a field gauge, get it checked by a smith.

Go No-go gauges are generally used to test headspace in manufacturing. Field gauges are used to test headspace on used or worn firearms.

Top Bottom