• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    As the title suggests I am having a hard time routing through all the mags I find online. For a little background I finally bit the bullet and bought my 1st 1911 a couple of weeks ago from Bob in Plainfield. Beautiful SR1911 that shoots straight as can be. I've had it at BGF twice so far and I must say I'm in love. But that leads me to my current predicament. I need more mags, I can't stand wasting my time loading when I could be shooting, that's why I spend time before I leave the house.

Anyways, I am going to the 1500 this weekend to browse and hopefully NOT buy another gun. My question is this, who makes good mags. They don't have to be the most expensive, but MUST be reliable. Should I stick with the OEM ?

Thanks

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've tried a little bit of everything...but settled on Wilson Combat.
    I do the same thing before heading to the range, and load a couple hundred rounds into mags before getting there. Makes the time way more fun.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Wilson 47d magazines are kind of the Glock or Ruger 10/22 of 1911 magazines. Others may fill a specific niche use better but they always work.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've used wilson 47Ds and ETMs, and they've worked well in several guns.
    Wilson has their replacement program, which I have never used, but I know guys who trade in their old mags for new on almost a yearly basis.

Only CMC I have are 10 rounders... the follower always gets drug fwd and they don't drop free...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I like Wilson Combat 47Ds also. USDS has them for $31, which is pretty good I think. If you are adding new mags, the WC 47D is a solid choice for a full size 1911. You can also rebuild existing mags with the WC mag rebuild kit to bring some factory mags up to spec. I did that with my Kimber and Sig mags to make them carry worthy.

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    Wow. Thanks for all the input. I also ran across the CMC and Tripp mags online and was curious. Guess I have a fee to look at this weekend.

So, somewhere in the $30 range per mag seems about right? Give or take a couple of bucks

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Shot 250 trouble-free rounds through my PT1911 at Atterbury last Saturday. I have 1 Taurus mag, 1 Chip McCormick, and 1 Pro Mag. Ill buy nothing but Chip McCormick from now on. The Pro Mag seems shoddy even though it functioned ok.

Now, I should win an award for a Taurus AND a Pro Mag playing nice together and being trouble-free, lol.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    Wilson best, but high priced. I think Act/Novak makes them and they work great for my Sigs/XD's Half the price of Wilson. Chip Mc Cormick are half Wilson and almost as good. Dillon sells them.
    Good Luck

Last edited:

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    I use WC ETMs. I will use the stock mags that came with my 1911s on the range but only the WCs or Ed Brown mag for carry, and any others I buy will be more Wilson's.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    My first 1911 shipped with Chip McCormick. I've been a fan ever since. I have some Wilson's that I like well enough. There is nothing wrong with a Wilson but neither do I find them superior in any way to Chip McCormick.

gm652

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Seymour
    I use Dawson precision 10 round mags with metal competition base. They work flawlessly in the my colt and kimber .45

Top Bottom