• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gearjmmer56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    lafayette
    Need some help here.I have a bee in my bonnet and want to set up a savage 10 fp for some long range fun.:): I purchased a new in the box savage 10 fp yesterday and now am open to suggestions and info.I really would apreciate all the help I can get . If you want to e-mail me with any thing send it to gearjmmer56@yahoo.com Thanks Jim

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    What are you looking for, just a scope rings and base, or do you want to replace the stock, etc? Might as well get suggestions here on the forum so others that follow you can learn as well.

gearjmmer56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    lafayette
    Actually some info on all of that. I am leaning towards a 1 piece base
    . I have a 3.5-10x40 scope with 30 mm tube with mil dot reticle, I was also considering changing stocks to a b&c duramaxx.Since this is my first 308 I have been doing a lot of reading on the net.Here,Sniper Hide and so forth,I did decide that the Savage 10 fp was the rifle for me at least to start with:ingo:

Kimber Ultra carry
    Bersa 380
    colt 38 spcl
    CZ 52 x2
    Ar 15 Flattop
    Ar 15 m-4

m39fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Owen County
    Well you've got a great base to start from. When I trained as a police marksman (can't say sniper cause that's un-PC), I was issued a Savage. I had no problem beating out the guys with the same level Remington 700's.

I had a Duramax on the dept's Savage and a Boyds Thumbhole Varminter on my personal rifle. I actually liked the Boyds much better but that's personal preference. The Boyds was a laminated stock, so it didn't change POA with climate/weather changes like a straight wood stock can.

As to scopes, I have used the old Tasco Super Sniper, Tasco World Class Varmint (cheap but surprisingly good), a Doktor, several Leopolds and a Nikon. I really liked my Leopolds. It really is personal preference but if you're going to be serious with it, don't buy cheap. The rule of thumb for precision shooter, by and large, is if the scope doesn't cost more than the rifle - keep looking. If this seems extreme, please remember that a truely good scope will outlast several rifles.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    The MSRP for the 10FP is around $700. That is just with the accutrigger and generic stock. For a stock upgrade look into the McMillian or HS, or even a Stockade (the first two come as options from Savage). Scope, rings, and base, as I'm discovering with my Rem700, really come down to personal preference. There is no one or two that beat out the rest, but a numerous amount of setups that work well for each individual.

While my knowledge is pretty limited, I have been learning a ton while working on my 700. If you need any help shoot me a PM and I can try to pass on what info I've collected.

gearjmmer56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    lafayette
    Picked my savage 10 fp at the lafayette gun show for $ 550.00 So shop around a bit .Gun was new in the box and the bolt never slid home Good Luck

Top Bottom