• ...and so much more!
  • JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    Hey,
    So I am about to venture into the world of bolt action rifles. I have/had many semi-autos (ARs & AKs) but wanted something for hunting and just fun target practice. My typical range distance is only 200, but would travel to longer ranges on occasion for this rifle. My only experience with bolt actions have been shooting a friends weatherby series 2 in 30-06, an older 1903 that my uncle owns, and my CZ 452 Ultra Lux Special Exclusive 22lr (freaking sweet gun). I like the 30-06 a lot, but being 5'8 170lbs it is something I like to shoot, but also has just enough recoil that I am not sure I would want to shoot it all day at the range(30-50 rnds).
    That being said I figured the 308 would work out perfectly. Then after doing some googling I noticed the 6.5x55 Swede and I am very impressed with that caliber. It has great accuracy (like the 308), less recoil than the 308, has great loads for hunting (deer [outside of indiana] and hog and really anything else), and it is in the same price range as the 308 and 30-06 (although the 308 i have found 10cents per round cheaper than the 6.5, but after the initial purchase I will reload and not buy factory ammo, so that isnt an issue).

Now the rifle... While shopping and doing some research I really liked the idea of a Tikka T3 (yeah i know they can have some problems, but they really sound perfect for me, light weight, smooth bolt and accurate). I looked at savage and liked the trigger, but not the feel, but the tikka (to me) was awesome, the bolt is crazy smooth and the trigger is very nice. The only problem I have with the Tikka is that I cannot find a T3 in 6.5x55... they are discontinued and I really do not want to spend more than $1000 on a rifle (the higher end Tikkas and Sakos). So I would have to go with the Tikka in 308. (Which is a very light gun and I would probably buy the limbsaver for it so i can enjoy the range time.) The only rifle I can find (online) that still sounds nice to me in 6.5x55 is the CZ 550. Having a CZ already I really like that idea. Its heavier than the Tikka, not as smooth of a bolt as the tikka, and the trigger can be adjusted to be very nice, plus the set trigger. But again, the Tikka was just very impressive to me. So I guess I need help choosing a caliber and then (if its 308) I need to decide if I want the heavier CZ with the mauser action and set trigger, or the crazy smooth Tikka with the nice trigger.... PS the plastic parts on the Tikka do not bother me.

So finally the choices...

1. Tikka Lite 308 (with limbsaver)
    2. CZ 550 American 308
    3. CZ 550 American 6.5x55
    4. Something I missed (please, no Remington)

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    if your looking at a 6.5 my favorite is the 260. its made off of 308 brass and like most 6.5's it beats the 308 in most catagories. it might be worth a look since you will be reloading anyways. there are a very few factory 260's but a get a 308/243 etc and do a rebarrel and your ready to rock

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    hmmm.... I'll have to look more into the 260... my initial thoughts are no since the ammo cost double that of the 6.5x55, so the initial bulk I buy will be more expensive. But, I did find a few savages in 260rem.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ive never checked into 6.5x55 brass prices, but i reload 260 for about 50 cents a round. if you dont intend on loading your own i would throw 260 out of the running

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Recoil has primarily to do with the weight of the rifle and stock. I once shot a custom .300 win mag that had almost zero recoil (scope stayed on target). So if recoil is an issue, then consider a bull barrel for starters.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I have a 6.5 swede rifle and while I love to shoot it is harder to find ammo and surplus is all berdan [non-reloadable]. Look at FN as they have claw extractors.
    as noted the 260 is based on the 308 so if ammo [brass] got scarce you could
    modify 308 brass. 6.5 swede is too long for the 308 length actions.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    true, heavy is nice at the range, saw a FN heavy barrel (crazy heavy barrel) bolt action that was used... picked it up and put it back down. If im going to be out in the field with it all day I want something relatively light (that isnt going to kick my butt at the range)....

either way, good point.

FN's are a good choice, but over my $1000 limit for the rifle.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    6.5 swiss..is a bit of a hunt for ammo. .308 is everywhere can be bought in bulk and is at every sporting goods store. As well as all the reloading supplies intended for .308. I have a 7.5x55 swiss and ammo is pricey and hard to get. Reloading is something i cant do right now (live in an apartment ...no powder storage) so im down to buying Norma or Lapua made ammo..not cheap. ive noticed the Same for 6.5 swiss. But if you are looking in to a hunting rig run the 6.5. If your looking for something you can shoot alot and can use for hunting and paper killing...id recommend going with something that is a little more available. Also dont quite rule out 8mm mauser or 7.62x54. Both can be had in very nice loads, are available in a variety of rifles, and can be reloaded relatively easily. I used to play with hard to get rounds and reload...but it just got old..if i wanted to go punch paper with it..i would have to load alot..then reload it...and so on. Not bad, but what if i need 20 rounds quick? cant pick up hard to get ammo just anywhere.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    my 260 weighs about 11 pound with no scope. it has a 26 inch #5 sheilen barrel. #5 is not a light weight barrel, but its also not a bull barrel. there is so little recoil that at 50yds i my scope is on target when the bullet hits. that is running a 140gr bullet at about 2900 fps so its not a mild load

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    Ljungman... You are correct about not finding the 6.5 anywhere but online, but if I do go the 6.5 route I will do 500 of the prvi 139gr sp from here...
    Prvi Partizan PPU 6.5x55 Swede 139grn SP 20rd box

This allows me to I have ammo to shoot, plus good brass to reload after the initial shoot. But again, I would do something similar to that with a 308. I just like the idea of having ammo stocked up along with reloading.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I can find no reason to fault your leaning toward a foreign made rifle chambered in a european cartridge.

A Tikka or CZ in 6.5X55 sounds like a good combination. For you.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Since you're going to reload, I'd go with the CZ in 6.5 Swede, it would be something just a little different. Plus that CZ will smooth up in no time.

I have a 7.5x55 swiss and ammo is pricey and hard to get. Reloading is something i cant do right now (live in an apartment ...no powder storage) so im down to buying Norma or Lapua made ammo..not cheap..

Have you tried the Privi 7.5? I've found it be almost as accurate as the GP11 and last I bought was $12/box. Plus the brass is excellent for reloading for when that day comes.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's a centerfire rifle. Just about any cartridge is going to have enough power.

It's the paradox of gun nuttery. Gun Nuts focus on the cartridge of the rifle and the features of a handgun when it should be the inverse.

Triggers and sights are first concern. Handiness (weight, length, sling, etc.) is second. Short LOP, smooth bolt handle, balance, etc.

With a .308 you get a shorter action and a lighter weapon.

With a 6.5 Swede you get to be the cool guy who shoots something "exotic".

Samey-same, flip a coin and you'll be there.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I really love the 6.5 X 55 swede. Sweet cartridge. It's only downfall is that it cannot feed through a short action model 70 (Or 700 Remington) When one of my .308 National Match rifles needed rebarreling the 6.5 mm American wildcat was really interesting and would feed through a short action model 70. Remington standardized the wildcat as the .260, which is really close to the ballistics of a 6.5 swede. What a great cartridge, I ended up building a second .260. For the 6.5 swde and the .260, reloading is pretty handy, as ammo selection and availablity can be hit and miss even ordering through the mail.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    So why not a 30-06? It is just the 308's Daddy. You can hunt any large game in the States with that round and it is just as easy to get ammo for it. As far as recoil it really depends on a lot of things. I owned a Remington 700 SPS in 30-06 a couple of years ago. That gun kicked like a mule. With the little synthetic stock and a thin butt pad that came with it, made for a pretty nice kick. I have just put a CZ 550 American 30-06 in the collection and wow what a difference. The gun is on the heavier side with the Turkish Walnut stock but the extra weight makes the difference. I have it at the range shooting from a bench on sandbags and shot 20 rounds through it to get it zeroed in and get a general feel for the set trigger(which is SUPER SWEET). Moral of the story is don't count out the 30-06 its a good round been around for a long long long time and will be around for a long long time.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    All good choices, friend has a 260 that is interesting, always liked the 6.5x55 and can't go wrong with a moderate weight 308.

One other option is the 243 with a fast enough twist that you can shoot the heavier bullets (100 to maybe 106 gr).

Have a Sako TRG-42 in 338LM that works great and while the Remington PSS in 308 is working fine, if was starting over again a little Sako would be of interest ... or three friends have Desert Tactical that a shale we say way over the budget.

Take Care
    John

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    Just wanted to update this and say I ended up with the Tikka T3 Lite in 308, freakin sweet shooter!!!
    Thanks for all the suggestions, i still will look into the 260 or 6.5 in the future.

Top Bottom