• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smknabel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Vincennes
    I was born and grew up a hoosier, and just moved back. I just joined this forum this evening.
    I am a long time gun owner, but I haven't bought a firearm a firearm in a long time. The last one I bought was in Louisville, KY (a Beretta M9A1). I have also owned (and loved) Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag. For reasons I am not going to get into now, I sold both of those pistols…a decision I now regret.

I am now looking for a semi-auto CCW / personal protection pistol. I tend to prefer full frame pistols, and I really like the 40 cal cartage. Unfortunately price is somewhat of an issue these days, so I am limited to a max of about $600.

The first pistol I found was Smith and Wesson M&P, but my brother in law is a game warden out east, and he showed me the trigger in his carry pistol is somewhat 'crunchy'. I don't know if they are all that way or not, but his sure is. I do like, that the M&P carry kit can be had for around $600 MSRP.

I have also seriously considered the 40 cal Walther PPQ. I held it at Gander Mountain in Terre Haute, and it fit my hand beautifully. However they wanted $900 for it. I won't be getting anything there.
    I have a buddy that has a P99, and I believe, the PPQ, is the new P99. He said his P99 has the most felt recoil of all his pistols, and is very 'snappy'.

Lastly, I have considered 40 cal Glocks, but I think they are just plain ugly. I know some may take offense to this, but it's just my opinion. :) But my counter thought is what is the purpose of this 'tool', look pretty or do a job? Ideally, I would like my cake and eat it too.

I would like like some feed back the aforementioned firearms or other I may not have thought of. I like the 40 cal or more powerful calibers.

Secondly, being new to the southern Indiana area (Freelandville, IN), are what are some good gun stores in the Evansville, Vincennes, Terre Haute, etc area that offer good service and prices that I should check out?
    Obviously, Gander Mountain isn't one, since the Walther was over $300 over MSRP. :)

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Sean

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :welcome: 2 :ingo: :) Glad you are here.

There are a lot of threads here about the best weapons. Do some searching for the best 9mm and you will find a lot of information. Remember that most of the 9mm models can also be obtained in .40SW.

I currently carry the Taurus 24/7 and the Taurus 709 Slim. Both have been reliable and accurate. Good weapons at reasonable prices. I bought both of mine from other :ingo:ers, so I got good prices (<$300). New ones can be had <$450. No need to spend a fortune on Sigs or Kahrs unless you really want them.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    For $600 you should be able to get nearly anything out there NIB, other than maybe a Sig or HK or some of the .40s in a 1911 style pistol.

downrise14

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    NWI
    I hated the fact that everyone says Glocks are the best. I tried really hard to find a better pistol just to be different and not follow suit. I now cc a Glock 23 and wouldn't trade it for any other polymer pistol.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If the gun is going to stay in the holster and not be shown off, who gives a **** what it looks like?

Go for a Glock or M&P. I went glock, as the aftermarket has a lot more to offer, and holsters are everywhere.

onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    welcome!
    you should go to a gun shop that rents different stuff and try things out on the range.
    you may shoot one pistol better than another.
    rent a couple and form your own opinion.
    different people shoot the same gun differently, try some and see which one works for you.

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    Welcome, I have had XD, M&P, and Glocks. I like them all, buy the one I have held on to is a Glock 36. If you like the bigger cal, check it out. Nothing like a 45ACP!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    PPQ, P99, Glock, and M&P are superb. You cannot go wrong with any of them!

Notes:

- The P99 should not have any more recoil. It is basically identical to the PPQ, which I own, and though it feels very light, it has about the same felt recoil as all my other guns.

- The M&P trigger is not crunchy at all. It has a clean break, which is lighter and crisper than most. The trigger only feels crunchy when you squeeze it while decocked--which is not relevant to shooting. The only real trigger shortcoming IMO is just that the reset is not well defined and consistent, but this has never caused me any problems after thousands of rounds in two M&P's. I use stock triggers, and like shooting my M&P's the most. For accuracy, that light and clean trigger break is hugely important, and combined with probably the single best grip on the market, this is a very accurate and EASY to shoot gun.

- Lastly, $600 is more than enough, since all these guns cost around $450 (combined) average. M&P is the least expensive, and you can find them for $399 on sale. I guess if you must have it right now, then you'll probably have to pay more. I highly recommend budsgunshop.com, and just ship to a LGS with a $25 transfer fee.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I hated the fact that everyone says Glocks are the best. I tried really hard to find a better pistol just to be different and not follow suit. I now cc a Glock 23 and wouldn't trade it for any other polymer pistol.

Pretty much this exactly. It's popular for a reason; it's simple, it's reliable, and it just works. If you told me that I had to pick up a brand new never fired handgun, and defend myself with it 30 seconds later....I would have to go with a Glock over anything else.

Lots of people will put thousands of dollars into "customizing" them, only to wind up gradually removing all of the extra stuff and taking them back to box-stock, or nearly so. It's just such an effective tool.

As for the looks....like you said, it's a tool. Do you buy pretty hammers just because their pretty?

That being said, most any of the major names will be hard to go wrong with. Handle as many as possible, and even find a range that lets you rent, and shoot as many as possible. No substitute for experience.

Top Bottom