• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    I am leaving tomorrow on short notice to go to Texas and am bringing my carry gun but I am not sure of the laws because I am under 21. I have a carry license for Indiana but someone said because you have to be 21 to get a carry license in the state of texas that my indiana license would be Invalid there. Is this true? Or am I good to carry there at 18?

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    I have used both of those sites and looked on them but they don't say anything specifically about someone that is 18 going from indiana to Texas. It says that Texas has reciprocity with indiana, but Texas also says you have to be 21 to carry a firearm, so am I allowed? Or not allowed to carry?

Ronn38

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    State law trumps reciprocity from my understanding- so I'd weight the pro's and con's carefully.

Ronn

BearFodder

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Indiana
    According to the Handgunlaw site:
    Texas Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor. (Must be 21 Years of Age)

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Sounds like this might be too late, but you have to be 21 for licensed carry in Texas unless you are in the military or an honorably discharged veteran 18 years of age or older.

(g) Notwithstanding Subsection (a)(2) [the part that requires 21 years of age], a person who is at least 18 years of age but not yet 21 years of age is eligible for a license to carry a handgun if the person:
    (1) is a member or veteran of the United States armed forces, including a member or veteran of the reserves or national guard;
    (2) was discharged under honorable conditions, if discharged from the United States armed forces, reserves, or national guard; and
    (3) meets the other eligibility requirements of Subsection (a) except for the minimum age required by federal law to purchase a handgun.
    (h) The issuance of a license to carry a handgun to a person eligible under Subsection (g) does not affect the person's ability to purchase a handgun or ammunition under federal law.

A handgun may be carried in a vehicle without a license to carry as long as you are otherwise eligible to possess a handgun, you keep it concealed, don't anything wrong above the level of a traffic ticket, and don't join a criminal gang,

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person
    intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or
    her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person
    or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view; or
    (2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a
    Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance
    regulating traffic;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm;
    or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as