• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    I know we have several young bucks here and I am glad we do. Secures our future right to bear arms. Keep up the good work guys.
    Now as young bucks I would really appreciate your imput regarding the following situation I found myself in this week.

I heard a comment at work the other day so I want your opinion.
    Maybe I took it the wrong way. The comment was as follows: When we get rid of these older guys we can police this community the way it needs to be policed." This can be taken several ways. My take is s since I am a people person who has friends outside of those I work with. We will run rough shod and enforce the law by the book and to the letter. No breaks for anyone and for Heaven's sake don't mix it up with citizens cause we got to watch our own backs in this day and age.

Look I know it takes a mix to do this job. Older guys have more experience. Younger guys have or should have the drive but as yet not the experience to deal with problems that don't dictate hauling somebody off the the gray bar every time you go on a call. None of us are above the law, cops included, nor are we superman. People deserve respect, they aren't all criminals. Deal with those who are and those who aren't be polite, smile, and make a friend. They don't have to be wearing a badge or blue to be a friend or at least that shouldn't be the criteria.

Thanks for letting this old cop vent. Any of you have any thoughts on the matter?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Probably the the stupidity of youth. When you're young, you think you know all the answers. And people aren't taught to respect each other, much less our elders.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    As a young buck, I agree with everything you have said. Alot of cops out there give the good cops a bad name. ALOT. Ive always been told that I am wise beyond my years. Alot of young people dont seem to have that drive you are talking about. They want instant gratification. They expect to have that new car now and that new house now. Some things you have worked 30yrs for. Dont even get me started on the music they listen to. Listen to me, I'm 24 years old!

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Bemslander01
    Good to hear that. We have young officers who do a great job but very few who operate within the spirit of the law. For some if they can't talk down, belittle, or tazer someone they feel like they haven't done their job. I value the new guys cause what they bring to the table is what I once had but it now is diminshing. I need to be able to depend on them for backup. I need their legs, strength, and quickness. Things I once brought to the table but now are leaving me as I age.
    Thirty-seven years on this job with a few more remaining has taken it's toll but I don't for one minute regret any of it. God has allowed me to live a dream. My job is not a burden to me. It has been and still is a blessing. I guess my concern is that I care for the hometown people I serve. I don't want them mistreated or any other citizen from where ever mistreated for that matter. I guess the comment made this week struck deep at my heart. I guess therein is my problem. I love serving the citizens. My heart will always be in the fight but physically I know this dream will someday end. I'll either go out with someone dragging me by the heals while I claw to stay or when the time comes I'll just walk off into the mist. God has allowed law enforcement to be my mission field.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I will say this, I have had a couple of dealing with an older officer in Martinsville and he is anything but nice. As a matter of fact he comes off as an ass when there is no need to, no bad guys no real crime, but still an ass. With that said, I myself am older and about to retire as a Firefighter (not in Morgan County) and I see some of the very things you are talking about.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    i would have to agree. i am only 26 and have a very differant job but kinda the same things go on. i see people my age and younger that think no matter what they know all. esspecially if they have had a little bit of schooling or training. most think that what they saw in school is sooooo far advanced to what the older guys know that they could never need any help. i was thankfully trained in my job by a couple of older guys and just listening to them be me leaps and bounds further ahead than i could have ever imagined. i generally think my generation of people are just tipically dumb and self centered. but its by choice that they are. all they would have to do is listen to the older guys such as yourself, and put it into practice.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I see a LOT of the stuff you are talking about. As the elder I think it's both your right and your responsibility to talk to them about their attitudes. A lot. Folks are usually more than willing to overlook a mistake by a young officer who is known to be polite, and I've seen folks from within and without a department go to bat for such a person and turn what could be a career ender into a learning experience, and make it go away. The young JBT, though, pretty much wears a target on his back. He has reason to be paranoid.
    That said, any counselling you can provide as the "voice of experience" benefits us all.
    I'm not a cop, or even involved in the cj system, so take that as just the opinion of an observer.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Hit the post button too quick.

I have been other places where an officer was present and I needed directions. I didn't flash a shield or introduce myself as a cop, I simply approached him for assistance. I got the idea I was a hindrance but still got the info I needed. It seems as though it isn't an isolated issue. In talking to folk from other communities I get the same feeling about the eletist attitude of a few.

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    We will run rough shod and enforce the law by the book and to the letter. No breaks for anyone and for Heaven's sake don't mix it up with citizens cause we got to watch our own backs in this day and age.

Look I know it takes a mix to do this job. Older guys have more experience. Younger guys have or should have the drive but as yet not the experience to deal with problems that don't dictate hauling somebody off the the gray bar every time you go on a call. None of us are above the law, cops included, nor are we superman. People deserve respect, they aren't all criminals. Deal with those who are and those who aren't be polite, smile, and make a friend. They don't have to be wearing a badge or blue to be a friend or at least that shouldn't be the criteria.

If only all officers thought like you, this world would be a far better place.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I have noticed that a lot of my generation (I'm 27) have this attitude. From the people that I have delt with that are my age, I have gotten the impression that they feel they are better than anyone before them. Most of them are cry babies and just dont realize they cant have everything thier way. My generation was given way to much and now they expect it. Most dont want to work and when they actually get power they have to hold it above everyone elses heads. I understand where you are coming from, but most dont. They dont understand that this country was built by our older generations, not our new generations. Most of them that I have talked to think they have done something great by just being born. They dont look back and see what other generations have went through, such as our vets from WWI and WWII or the vietnam war. I'm sorry to say it but our younger generation has no idea what it is like to truely suffer or how to put the good of all before themselves. I am kinda frustrated with my generation and thier attitudes, they need to get over themselves.

ryang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    In my opinion it is mostlikely a case of someone younger not being happy with something small and just wants to be in charge of everything. Recently became in charge of their own lives now want controll of everything

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    The problem is that the younger fools think it is their job to be "ENFORCERS" if you will, they see themselves as authoritarian and have never been taught humility. They get away with anything and everything they want and have every other LEO out there covering for them and closing ranks when things go south with their power and control issues. They don't understand that they are public SERVANTS and the people NOT in uniform are the PUBLIC. They instead see themselves as shepherds and the people as sheep to be ordered around and controlled under threat of incarceration for make believe charges because everyone knows when it comes down to your word vs that of an leo, the judge doesn't even need to listen, no leo has EVER lied....

just my .02

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I think that for some people, as they get older, there is more of a gray area for things and other people, as they get older, everything gets more and more black and white. In other words some people get more open minded as they get older some get more closed minded. Either way a person goes I believe that everyone has a conscience (sp?) deep down and have the ability to show mercy. As to whether which way the younger generation goes regarding government its hard to gage. Seems to me our generation has a good mix of people just like the generations before(people who think in different ways;absolutes, case by case basis, logically, etc.)

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm going to go a bit different way then most...

Yes, my generation (25) has a problem with instant gratification, but I think that the generation of my dad's is still the worst when it comes to selfishness. Don't get me wrong, they are not all that way, but that can be said of any generation. The previous generation has shown that it was and still is all about having it all, reguardless of who they need to take it from. History has shown that that generation has run, and is running, this country into the ground. There are great men and women waiting in the wings to move this country forward from its vise ridden past, but the last generation refuses to pry its bony hands away from power. It's maddening I tell ya!

Let me quantify. I am not a leftist commie or anything. I am independent and proud of it. My generation will have to learn to live without because the older generation can't just move on and say,"You know what, we've done enough." Nooooooooo, there is still more to take. Mosy of the politicans we whine about are all the last generation, not mine.

Whats worse, the older the generation gets, the more entitled they get. SS won't be there for me because the last group will bankrupt it and then some, and would rather see the country burn than step gracefully aside like every previous generation did. People whine about how the young bucks are so entitled when it's just being young. We'll grow up and deal. We have nothening on the old bucks, no sir.

O yes lets cut spending, but touch one dime of that sweet, sweet 65 and older money and DIE!!!!!

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    To add to that I do have to say it seems that my generation has been handicapped by entitlements. It is the parents fault though. I moved out of my parents house when I was 18 and paid everything myself because I didn't want help I wanted to prove I could do it on my own. I kind of regretted it for maybe the first year or so because it was hard but it taught me a lot. Some people would feel cheated by that but I feel it puts me ahead of other people my age who had everything handed to them. Parents think they are helping their kids when they pay for everything and make their kids lives easy but they are really handicapping them for life. "No pain no gain" is not an old worthless saying. Im 23 btw

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Thank you for your service 96harley.

I hope there are more like you than those that are not like you in time to come.

God bless.

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    96harley..... I hope those guys will pay attention to you try to learn from your experience. We need guys like you to mentor guys like them!! :rockwoot:
    Hold strong man!

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I've noticed that attitude with LEO's no matter what the age. Sometimes people go into their career for the wrong reasons. I'm 24 and a Financial Advisor for a international bank.
    I've noticed a trend in younger college students and grads that they expect the government to take care of them. They also believe LEO's will protect them and keep them safe and citizens shouldn't own firearms. This to me is a very scary situation.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Hey guys there are people my age who leach off the government. Those who contribute the least and expect the most are the problem and it's in all generations. Some haven't contributed to SS and yes they are drawing. I know you guys have heard someone say, "Well, I'm just hoping to get my disability...for whatever reason". What gets me is the people I hear say it are so young they haven't got that much invested. I'll be lucky draw it when I'm 70. I'll be penalized.

Look guys the less government in our lives the better off we are. This may sound way out but I for one don't feel you should have to lay down money to purchase a carry permit. If you are law abiding you should have that right. When you do something to void that right you loose your right to carry or own a firearm.

Anyway we have strayed way off the path here. I want to thank you guys, no matter what generation, for standing up for firearms ownership. I know you do or otherwise you wouldn't be posting here or interested in the site. All of you have a Merry Christmas and I hope your blessed with one more piece of artillery.

Top Bottom