Help me choose a city in South Central Indiana.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Nice, good to hear, thanks! Visiting the area soon and really trying to narrow things down.

Looking at:

#1 Greenfield
    #2 Avon/Brownsburg/Plainfield
    #3 Martinsville/Franklin/Shelbyville

I've been in the Avon area for 20+ years now (moved to Indy area after being born and raised in FL, rented in Indy area when first arrived). When we were looking to buy/build a house, we moved specifically to Avon before we had our first child due to rep of the schools, and that was very good (my youngest is a Senior, graduating in May, while my older graduated last year and is now away at college). Now that the kids are out of school, I'd probably push a bit further west just to avoid some of the bad aspects of Indy that seem to be bleeding into the area. :twocents: Not too bad, and I haven't done a lot of research, but just a bit further west of the immediate Avon/Plainfield area would be good.

Last edited:

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I just moved to Martinsville. Most homes are being redone, downtown is being redone and tons of new businesses are coming in anticipation of 69. Get in now before prices skyrocket.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Just got back from my visit to Indiana.

Absolutely loved Greenfield and Franklin.

Thanks for all the input.

God willing I'll be up there soon, active in the political scene, making friends, shooting, hunting, and evangelizing.

Colt1860

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2017
    Tell City
    Forget being close to Indianapolis or Bloomington, move to southern Indiana, if you need a large town close you can find more seclusion close to Louisville or Evansville then you can Indianapolis.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Personally, I love the Bedford to Shoals area although it is a little far out from Indy if you have to commute. A friend of mine has a place bordering Crane and he goes down about every weekend.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Lots of good places out there. Different places make sense for different people at different times in life.

Forget being close to Indianapolis or Bloomington, move to southern Indiana, if you need a large town close you can find more seclusion close to Louisville or Evansville then you can Indianapolis.

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    Without knowing what you are looking for in a new "hometown" it's difficult to say for sure, but what about Edinburgh? It's in Atterbury's backyard, has good shopping and resturaunts [by Midwest standards] and being on I65 avoids that very, very real Bedford/Bloomington to Indy corridor problem first mentioned by bwframe. I've never understood why that route was even considered because anyone who has ever driven it could tell it was going to be a ___awful expensive engineering clusterfrack.

p.s. I used to live in Linton. You're right about the amenities, and it's convenient being half-way between Bloomington and Terre Haute. There's even an old pit sanctioned for scuba diving just outside of town. Access to Indy is also easier than aforementioned fowl-up if you go up US231 to I70 and then east. Let me know if you have any questions.

Top Bottom