• Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Counterfeit Leupold scopes are making the rounds in Southern Indiana gunshows. Confirmed by serial numbers.
    Retail fraud in the firearms accessories sector is rampant, with respect for trademarks and patents seemingly nonexistent among product counterfeiters. There have been all kinds of Counterfeit Leupold, Bushnell, Aimpoint, Benchmade, Microtech, Surefire, Streamlight, ATN, etc., etc., etc. for years at all of the gun shows. Many times the people selling them don't even know they are counterfeit. Some of these fakes are nearly impossible to spot. If it sounds too good to be true...

When I buy these items, I only buy them from the manufacturer or respected distributors and dealers that I know get them factory direct. I don't know how to spot a fake, so I would not even consider buying one used. I'll pay the extra money for the peace of mind.

LJthegiant

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2022
    Milan, IN
    Seems like the there are more counterfeit ACOGS out there than authentic ones. I watched a clearly counterfeit ACOG sell for $400 at a local auction (online auction, I would have liked to tip off the buyers). I second the sentiment to only buy from respected dealers. I've even gotten counterfeit goods from amazon. Shipped and sold by amazon.com not even a 3rd party seller.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    For those who need to know,

Real simple on Eotech
    If the circle dot on the Eotechs aren’t pixilated but solid ring and dot they are fakes too.
    Eotechs have tiny tiny pixels that make up the outer ring and dot and will not color change from red to green.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Seems like the there are more counterfeit ACOGS out there than authentic ones. I watched a clearly counterfeit ACOG sell for $400 at a local auction (online auction, I would have liked to tip off the buyers). I second the sentiment to only buy from respected dealers. I've even gotten counterfeit goods from amazon. Shipped and sold by amazon.com not even a 3rd party seller.
    A repost but germane here.

To spread stuff around to warehouses Amazon commingles merchandise. Reputable optics seller (A) on Amazon sends 10 optics, scammer optics seller (B) sends 10 counterfeit of the same model, Amazon spreads them all around to its warehouses. You order one believing you are buying one from A, but get a counterfeit one from the commingled inventory.

Be cautious what you choose to buy from Amazon, particularly high end items that are frequently counterfeited…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Also many manufacturers have support to help identify fakes. Trijicon has serial number look up, for example. They used to have a page showing how to spot fakes but put it was used as a counterfeiters guide to making a better fake. Then there are hundreds of web pages and videos showing how to spot the fakes.

jf240sx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2018
    South Whitley
    Old saying is really true If the deal seems to good to be true it probably is. Look at all the small details on products, china knock off stuff isn't quite as crisp or cleanly maid as the real deal.

Top Bottom