• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glockpatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Hello all! I talked with Sen. Phil Boots' legislative assistant today. She told me that this bill was up for a second reading yesterday, but all the democrats walked out for some unapparent reason. He said it is up for a third reading on Thursday, so let's all call or e-mail our state senators tomorrow morning to let them know we want them to pass this with NO amendments attached to it.

Let's stay strong!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Hello all! I talked with Sen. Phil Boots' legislative assistant today. She told me that this bill was up for a second reading yesterday, but all the democrats walked out for some unapparent reason. He said it is up for a third reading on Thursday, so let's all call or e-mail our state senators tomorrow morning to let them know we want them to pass this with NO amendments attached to it.

Let's stay strong!

But we do want some amendments attached, those taking out the areas where you can't lock your firearm in your vehicle, like post-secondary institutions.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    But we do want some amendments attached, those taking out the areas where you can't lock your firearm in your vehicle, like post-secondary institutions.

Even if it means the measure ends up getting defeated? Better to get as much as you can now and then come back later for the rest.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I logged on today and listened while they argued over amendments but had to drop off (damn work). What was accomplished today? Did they vote on it?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I heard the Public Policy director for the Governor refer to this as the "Bring your gun to work bill". Suffice it to say, in conversations with rep's of the Governor, he does not want to sign this.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    HB 1065 has passed Second Reading. It should go for Third Reading tomorrow.

When I looked, HB 1068 is "Ready for Enrollment".

If Gov. Daniels does not want to sign either of these, he does not have to, so long as he does not veto them. I'm not sure they have the supermajority of support needed to pass over his veto.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Just found this in my email, from Jim and Margie Tomes, titled, "Bills passed":

HB 1065, carry to the workplace bill passed the Senate today and will now go back to the House to it's author Rep. Bischoff. It passed without the amendments so it won't go to a conference meeting. It will then go to the Governor's desk.

HB 1068 which protects gun owner's personal information from being accessed. It passed 48 to 0. Can you hear the media crying??

Thanks to the warriors who fought these fights!!

Jim and Margie
    2nd Amendment Patriots
    STAY UNITED
    www.2ndamendmentpatriots.org | The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I could be mistaken, but I think Jim meant that 1065 goes to Third Reading tomorrow, THEN back to Bischoff and to Gov. Daniels.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Nice bonus in HB 1068:

(b) The period during which an application for the renewal of an existing license may be filed begins [STRIKE]one hundred eighty (180)[/STRIKE] three hundred sixty-five (365) days before the expiration of the existing license. If the application for renewal of an existing license is filed within thirty (30) days of its expiration, the existing license is automatically extended until the application for renewal is passed upon.

glockpatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    NEW UPDATE on HB1065

This is from Jim Tomes, from 2ndamendmentpatriots @ 6:46 pm:

I must apologize on my e-mail about HB 1065. I was just a little quick on the trigger. That was the 2nd reading. It must pass the 3rd reading, perhaps on Monday or Tuesday.
    The sentiment is that it will pass, but we don't want to let up the pressure so if you will, still call your senator and remind them you want support for this measure.

Sorry about the misinformation.

Stay Strong!

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    That dork Paul Helmke is probaly wetting himself over this. Score one for the good guys!

I still have a bit of heartburn over this I must admit. I confess to being a bit hypocritical. I like the 2nd to be upheld at every turn, but what about property rights? Shouldn't an owner of a business, or any property have the right to say what goes?

It's the same with the smoking ban here in Ft Wayne. Shouldn't the owner have the say?
    I also like the smoking ban.

I carry to and from work, not allowed to carry inside.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I carry to and from work, not allowed to carry inside.

And if your employer knew you stored your firearm in your vehicle? If your employer extended his "property rights" to include the parking lot, would you be fired for carrying your gun "to work?" That's what this bill is trying to protect -- allowing you to carry your gun to and from work, not inside. There are many places that won't even allow firearms in the parking lots, safely stored and locked in your car. By not allowing firearms in the parking lot, employees either have to park off-campus (an impossibility for some unless they want to walk several miles), or not carry to or from work (not an option for many people who carry daily).

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Pami is right, check your employee handbook (if you have one).

And if your employer knew you stored your firearm in your vehicle? If your employer extended his "property rights" to include the parking lot, would you be fired for carrying your gun "to work?" That's what this bill is trying to protect -- allowing you to carry your gun to and from work, not inside. There are many places that won't even allow firearms in the parking lots, safely stored and locked in your car. By not allowing firearms in the parking lot, employees either have to park off-campus (an impossibility for some unless they want to walk several miles), or not carry to or from work (not an option for many people who carry daily).

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    ...I carry to and from work, not allowed to carry inside.

This must be very nice for you. If this bill goes through, it will allow all of us to do the same without risk of termination.

There is always a decision to make, but for many of us, in this economy, the chances of needed a weapon to and from work aren't worth the risk of losing a job and the damage that would cause to our families. That said...we shouldn't have to make that decision. This bill will help many of us get out of this situation. This will let us have our cake (job) and eat it too (self defense).

I am very happy with smoking bans from a personal comfort perspective...but I helped fight it because I don't feel a law should have the capability to stop. I feel like my own personal vehicle is my own private property no matter where it sits. Others may feel differently, and that's the beauty of our system.

Glock32j

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Danville IN
    My worthless boss tried to check our vehicles last summer, window tint is great. Never said to open the vehicle, just looked though the windows snooping around what he thought was behind our backs. What a piece of work. I really hope the bill passes and puts into law this year and soon also

Top Bottom