• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Do not like aluminum frames...just don't.
    Do like the defender though.
    So here is the thought...
    SS Defender slide on a SS officers frame.
    Have searched the web and cant find that this has been done.
    Supposedly, the defender frame is the same size as the officers though, so it should work.
    Will have to buy an SS officers model and an SS Defender though, unless I can find the halves available separately.
    Or I could just mate the extra LW frame to the officers slide and sell it.

The goal is to have a full SS defender.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have not tried the combo you are talking about, but I do share your misgivings regarding the aluminum framed guns. I have one that I really like, but I don't expect it to last forever. There is already some deformation around the area where the recoil spring guide rod sits against the frame. I really do like the gun though as it shoots well and carries easily. It just will never have the life expectancy you would get with a blued steel frame 1911.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I share your misgivings on the aluminum frames. I have gone with steel frames and slides on my 1911s, but can not speak to the specific combo you mentioned. There are many good options out there for steel frame and slides in one package, if you're not dead set on the specific model you mentioned.

BTW, I know the quality of machining has a lot to do with the smoothness of the action. But generally speaking, I have found that carbon steel frame / slide combos tend to be a lot smoother than stainless for the same price range. :twocents:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a Colt "Silver Stallion" from days ago, a Officers frame and Commander slide IIRC. Nice NIB in my safe for about 20 years now.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Why not just build a custom the way you want on a Caspian frame and slide? That's what I'm doing with my carry comp on a railed Recon frame.

Bonehead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Vincennes
    I am gonna put this in here even after you said you are partial to Colts, and I know that Kimbers are either a love them or hate them thing for most people.
    But with that being said, I was just going to add that Kimber's Eclipse Ultra is a 3" 1911 with a short stainless steel frame and 3" stainless steel slide.

I don't know your feeling about Kimber but wanted to mention that there is a manufacture out there making the combination you are looking for ;)

Top Bottom