• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tinkerbell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Have you ever been told by a police officer that you don't really need to carry you fire arm on you while you are in your driveway or in you house????

tinkerbell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    No, but a buddy of mine that is a cop would probably tell me otherwise. He carries non-stop.

My husband and I had to talk to an officer today about a situation at our house and the officer told my husband that he does not carry while he is at home and that my husband must have felt very threatened to have to carry in his own driveway or house.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Tink, did someone actually say that to you? I would think that because of the gaggle of children you guys have in that house, that "on you" is the best place for it, because then you know for certain that your kids aren't playing with it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The proper response to that should be: No if I felt threatened I would have it in my hand. I wear the pistol simply out of principle.

tinkerbell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Tink, did someone actually say that to you? I would think that because of the gaggle of children you guys have in that house, that "on you" is the best place for it, because then you know for certain that your kids aren't playing with it.

Yes, SavageEagle and I were told that by an officer this afternoon. He told them that he always wears it on him. I was floored when the officer said that. I really did not know what to say after that. I wanted to say, but did not, that I felt safer knowing that he had it on him.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok now that I'm home I can reply! LOL

Yes, Plainfield PD showed up after about 30 minutes. We were told when an officer becomes available they would send one out. Ok fine. THey have 20 patrol officers on duty during the day shouldn't take long. Oh wait, the doughnuts and Plainfield Gangstas might get into a pissing match...

Anyway, we've been having problems with some STUPID neighbors. These are people who put fish heads on their hands and ask (through the fish) do you wanna go have _____ you fill in the blank. Well, they ripped us off some money, told us tough nooky, and then started to threaten us. They even called the cops on me saying I was pointing my guns at them in my backyard!!!!! OMGWTF!!! I don't think so! I got my gun out to show their son because he asked. Any chance to get someone interested in shooting I'm all for it. But I NEVER pointed it at anyone. The muzzle never covered anything but the ground and the lake/pond 100yds away. But the first cop came ran my license and my DL and my serial number of my Eagle. Yes I let him take it from me, let him unload it and set it in his car. He was very nice about it and very careful to not bang it around. Asked if he could rack it and fondle it and told me it was a nice pistol. After talking safety and safety while carrying in the house, we talked about shooting and shooting matches and so forth. After about 20 minutes of that we talked about the situation in depth. He even told me I SHOULD retreat into the house if need be. BUT if he or her came at me with a stick... that was a different story. Basiclly if he attacked me, do what I have to. Calloway was his name. Great Guy.

Now between a week ago then and today the neighbors continued to harrass us and threaten us. So today we had enough of this especially in front of the kids. We called the police. Mainly just so this is on record. Also maybe get them to stop all this nonsense. We don't instigate ANYTHING, we don't look their way, we don't speak to them or OF them, period. They are not there to us. Well the cops came, they wanted to know what the problem was so we told them. A cool headed, INGO hat wearing, Baby Eagle CCing SavageEagle greeted the officer with a hand shake. Let him know I was carrying and with a license. A flustered, emotional Tink greeted the officer with a non stop explaination. After hearing our story, the LEO, who I won't name, started to ask why i carry in my own drive. I told him I always carry. Everywhere. CC and OC. Home and out. He said he carrys everywhere but home and if we feel we have to carry at home we need to move. WITFFF is this guy's deal?!?!?!? I couldn't believe it. So I told him that we were living as homeowners and the ignorant fools behind us were renters. That we shouldn't have to move they should. So thats when he told us, move, get along, or get a restraining order. Whatever, fine. Restraining order it is. Then a petition of homeowners to the homeowners association to get these freaks booted from the subdivision.

Remember, this neighborhood is relatively quite and has been for 8 years. Then they move in and the cops have been there because of these people more times in one month than I've seen cops in the neighborhood since I've lived here. Somethings gotta get done and By God, if no one else is going to do it, I am.

Am I wrong for any of this???????

Also check out what other LEO's had to say about some of this here:

http://policelink.com/topics/26696-do-you-really-feel-that-you-police-officers-are-there-to-help-you-when-you-need-them/posts

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Savage:

Your neighbors are likely to seek a restraining order right back at you. If they do, I believe you have to hand over all your firearms. I may be wrong, but be careful.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Ok, let me start off by saying you know I like you guys... <3 !!

AND, I do think the officer that responded to your call was a bit off with the comments about carrying around the house, driveway and yard....

I also think that policelink was the wrong forum to post such an emotional essay to, and I'm not surprised by the responses that you have received there. What did you expect the officers to do? Unless you were being physically threatened and had sufficient evidence of it, there's not much they can do but tell your neighbors to stop it unless you have a restraining order. So, since you don't want to move, and obviously you can't force your neighbors to move, your only option is to apply for that restraining order.

I understand that you felt threatened, and that you were disappointed in the officer that responded, but as I believe was stated on the other site, you can't carry a policeman in your pocket 24/7.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Getting your guns out to show the neighbors kid who you are having problems with probably wasn't the best idea. If the kid wants to see a gun have his mom or dad show him one. I'd stay far away from these people.

They even called the cops on me saying I was pointing my guns at them in my backyard!!!!! OMGWTF!!! I don't think so! I got my gun out to show their son because he asked.

tinkerbell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    If you get a restrainin order on someone, can they really get one on you since you have one on them???

the showing of the guns were before we started having these problems.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Getting your guns out to show the neighbors kid who you are having problems with probably wasn't the best idea. If the kid wants to see a gun have his mom or dad show him one. I'd stay far away from these people.

This was before the problems started. Wasn't a big deal at the time. I'm not a fool so I wouldn't do something as stupid as to give ammunition to fuel their fight.

Bigum, you make a good point, but if I file one on them, I doubt they can file one back at me. Even if they do, I can appeal to the courts on the firearm issue. If not, I'll "sell" them to my dad first.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    This was before the problems started. Wasn't a big deal at the time. I'm not a fool so I wouldn't do something as stupid as to give ammunition to fuel their fight.

Bigum, you make a good point, but if I file one on them, I doubt they can file one back at me. Even if they do, I can appeal to the courts on the firearm issue. If not, I'll "sell" them to my dad first.

Someone that I know had problems with a neighbor. He filed for a restraining order and it was granted. The neighbor also filed for one and it was granted as well. They still live next door to each other but must avoid each other. And, the police came and took his firearms once he had a restraining order on him.

I don't know much more than that. Just something to think about.

In regards to showing your firearm, I wouldn't do that unless you really knew the person. Just my two cents.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    showing it isn't such a big deal. Letting them load and fire is. IMHO. When you OC you let the world see it. What's the difference?

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    If I found out my next door neighbor was showing my son or daughter a firearm in his back yard with out my supervision or consulting with me first I would be pissed. :twocents:

showing it isn't such a big deal. Letting them load and fire is. IMHO. When you OC you let the world see it. What's the difference?

tinkerbell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Yes, I understand cuz I would be pissed too, but their parents were right there while he was showing their son the gun and never once said anything about it. All they would have had to do was say they didn't want him to show their son. But never did.

tinkerbell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    I agree there Pami, but on the same point, the kid asked to see it with his parents right their and they never said not to.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Savage:

Your neighbors are likely to seek a restraining order right back at you. If they do, I believe you have to hand over all your firearms. I may be wrong, but be careful.

I know of a similar situation, and yes the local PD removed all firearms from both parties homes and persons! Then told them if they wanted them back they had better honor the restraining order, if they did not, they would turn it over to the prosecutors office for forfeiture proceedings. Last word I heard, things had calmed down greatly and the restraining orders were due to expire soon and when they did, they could all go pick up the firearms and live happily ever after.

Sounds to me like there are a whole big bunch of issues going on here. I would be VERY careful how and what you do AND SAY ON A PUBLIC FORUM, as it could easily be turned and twisted by someone with a motive to do so.
    :twocents:

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?:D

Top Bottom