• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What kind of gun? While obviously there's multiple folks who love the hybrid concept, I find it adds a lot of bulk that isn't necessary for either stability or comfort.

If you want a comfortable and tuckable holster, try the options at Inside The Waistband. 9 tuckable options, offering various different ride height, cant, and material.

jenoble99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2014
    S.IN
    Geez, i wasn't getting email notifications after the first reply so didn't think there were other responses yet. I have tried it from 3:30 to 6. The 5-6 position was tolerable, but don't care for it being completely around back like that. I am going to wear it and see if it gets better after breaking in. My wife picked me up a a Desantis Sof-Tuck for me today when she went to Clarksville. It is so much more comfortable. I think it is just the size of the Alien Gear. As someone else mentioned, there is a lot of extra bulk. I will give it a week or so and see if it loosens up any.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I will second the above link to "tuckables" by High Noon Holsters, I have more of them than any other brand for several different handguns. I also like the Old Faithfull holster I have. It is very similar to the Ailen Gear and after adjusting it to the best position I am very happy with it. It did take some time to get it adjusted and the pants must be the correct size but then it is good. Jim.

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    The best IWB holster I have ever used is a Blackhawk/uncle mikes nylon holster at 4 o'clock and is virtually unnoticeable , very comfortable and only about ten bucks. cant beat it

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If I have a thin gun (currently s&w shield), I prefer 3:00 and a little bit high. Next best thing for me, or with a double stack gun is 3:30-4:00 and lower in belt line.
    My BEST advice is to get a thin gun, makes a big difference. Also a good belt works wonders.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I didn't read the whole thread so if I am repeating something that was already posted - "Sorry" But I would have to say a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. I carry a full size Thunder Ranch Special in one and there are time when I have to reach back and be sure that it is still there. I have tried the Comp-Tac but they didn't work for me. Anyway that's my 2 cents

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    Pretty much what was stated all above^.

I prefer 100% leather IWB holsters, and I choose low riding ones so the gun's grip isn't riding high and digging me (especially when sitting in a car, etc.).

About the 3:30 position works best for me, but I've worn it a smidgen farther back depending on what I'm wearing.

I kinda don't understand why people will spend several hundred dollars on a gun and then put it in a $20 dollar holster. I just don't get it... your carry is only as good as your rig.

I agree with the 100% leather. I have no issues carrying a G17 IWB. Mine is a Turtlecreek IWB leather holster.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    https://www.n82tactical.com/

Most comfortable holster I own. And they make a tuckable version.

^^^^^^:+1:^^^^^^

New member here. I have recently gotten into the handgun world. I purchased a hybrid IWB holster from Alien Gear and absolutely hate it. I just can't find a comfortable spot to wear it. I bought a 15 dollar cheapie IWB holster made by Quest and find it more comfortable, but it isn't tuckable. What am I missing? I may see if I can get a cheapie holster that is tuckable and call it good.

I have a G19 that I carry in the N82 Tactical Professional model. I also agree with those that mentioned a good belt, and pants that are an inch or so bigger around than what you normally wear when not carrying. Comp-Tac makes a great belt that is reinforced: Kydex Reinforced Contour Belts: Gun Belts & Apparel - products new home - Kydex Reinforced Contour Belts

Geez, i wasn't getting email notifications after the first reply so didn't think there were other responses yet. I have tried it from 3:30 to 6. The 5-6 position was tolerable, but don't care for it being completely around back like that. I am going to wear it and see if it gets better after breaking in. My wife picked me up a a Desantis Sof-Tuck for me today when she went to Clarksville. It is so much more comfortable. I think it is just the size of the Alien Gear. As someone else mentioned, there is a lot of extra bulk. I will give it a week or so and see if it loosens up any.

I might suggest you not carry in the 6 O'clock position:

1) If you fall or get knocked down landing on your back could cause a serious spinal injury with that gun placement.

2) If pinned against a wall or floor and you will probably never be able to draw your gun.

3) Bending forward at the waist could expose your firearm or cause it to "print" badly, and you wouldn't see or know it.

4) Your shirt or garment could ride up over the gun and you would probably not know it.

At least those are some of the reasons I choose never to carry in the 6 O'clock position.

Well there are my :twocents:, or maybe a little more. Hope it helps. :)

Last edited:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Just because a holster is expensive doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be a good holster. I paid big bucks for a quality leather holster that I can't even use. It looks pretty but that's where it ends.

After a recommendation, I picked up one of these great little IWB kydex holsters. I was a bit skeptical at first because of the low price but after using it, I am very well pleased with the comfort (4:00). It's super lightweight, retains it's shape for easy reholstering and very secure. I will say that it actually fits my M&P 9C much better than the $150+ "High Noon" lined leather holster I originally bought for it.

https://onyour6designs.com/videos/

Last edited:

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    my current IWB is an alien gear holster. It took me a while with adjusting the holster to find the most comfortable and accessible spot on my body, but i love mine. I have spinabifida and it is really hard to find a comfortable holster for my back.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    i must admit, that holster looks very tempting. I have been seriously thinking about selling my M&P 9C and Getting a Shield and I think that holster paired with the M&P Shield would be a very effective and comfortable combo.

I have the Pro model for my Shield. I am new to carrying so I can't really tell you how comfortable it is compared to others. Though the Comp-Tac type holsters may be more comfortable, I didn't want that much leather for such a small pistol.

I met the two Nate's at the NRA convention and their character sold me before the holster did. They are great guys and have taken the entrepreneurial American spirit and have transformed themselves from making a couple holsters for themselves in their garage to a legit company.

I like the way the gun is retained in the polycarbonate. It's hard to explain, but you have to kind of twist it to remove it, but it is intuitive when it's on you, but if someone tried to disarm you, they most likely would not get it free from the holster. I usually wear a t-shirt and the suede does grip the t-shirt material pretty good so I am still struggling to put it on, but once I have it in position, it stays put. Contrary to what people say about forgetting that they are even carrying a gun, I have not gotten there yet. I still know it's there. After all I did just stick a gun inside my pants!

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I have the Pro model for my Shield

I did order a Pro N82 holster but I decided to simply go back to carrying my Kimber Ultra CDP II (which I should have been doing from the beginning) and get the holster for that instead. Can't figure out why I wanted to buy another carry gun when I already have the best one on the market waiting in my safe!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom