• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I met Mr. Browning's genius in 1974, as a member of the United States Army, though I did not appreciate it at the time. I loved the M2 .50 caliber machine gun more than Girl Scout Thin Mints. It is a work of art, a shooter's dream, and warrior's friend. When an opportunity came up in my unit (3/35 Armor / 1st AD) to teach the weapon to unit newbies, I jumped on it. We had about 6 field exercises every year, in all kinds of weather: rain, snow, heat, mud, cold, windy.... I didn't care, I absolutely loved my time with the M2 (though I may be romanticizing, just a bit). My regular job was Section Sargeant for a Fuel unit; my 5-ton truck had 2 600 gallon diesel pods, and a ring-mount M2. A thing of beauty, it was. My favorite aspect of the M2 was how easy it is to set up properly, and to fire effectively. Tracers are wonderful! I still chuckle at the double-entendre of the "Headspace & Timing Gauge". I also had a fair bit of experience with the 1911. I didn't shoot them as much as the M2, but I regularly volunteered to help the company armor clean the officer's 1911s after field exercises. A 1911A1, properly and completely dis-assembled, displayed on white toweled ranks right up there with the best of Playboy centerfolds.

Thanks for the memories, John Moses Browning. And happy birthday.

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    All hail John Moses Browning. The Ma Deuce was pure genius. There's a reason it's still around in several variants for aircraft, tank, vehicle and tripod mounting since fielding in 1935. It works, and works very well. The M1911 is another work of genius, and it was the longest continuously fielded military sidearm in the U.S. Armed Forces. In my experience with dozens of them in the arms rooms under my commands, when maintained properly, they worked, and they weren't high maintenance mistresses like the Beretta M9.

Top Bottom