• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I had a hangfire years ago, but it did not take that long to fire. I was shooting field pistol category in handgun metallic silhouette, at 50 yards with a T/C Contender. Not sure of the caliber, but it may have been 22 Hornet. I was aiming and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened right away and it was like slow motion seeing the hammer fall. I maintained sight picture trying to process what was going on. A fraction of a second later, bam the gun fired. I still managed to hit the target I was aiming at. That's what you call follow-through. That is my only experience with a hangfire.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I had a 1 to 2 second delay with some old Pakistani .303 Brit with a buddy's SMLE not too long before I got married. (INGO Emeritus Esylum)

Kind of figure it was gonna happen. We were all prepared for it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    He did open the bolt to re-cock it WAY too soon.
    I expected to see it go off while the bolt was unlocked.

I've had one hang fire in my 50+ years of shooting all manner of firearms.
    It only delayed for a second or two, and the muzzle never left the target.

I was always told if you do experience a hang fire, you should keep control, but do absolutely NOTHING, for at least 30 seconds.
    Doesn't sound like an unreasonable step to take.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Have experienced many hangfires over the years.

Pakistani .303 in a post sample Bren gun. It kinda just chugged along at a raggedy pace - the delays were all variable, but very short. Surprisingly only maybe one dud in a hundred. I was shooting prone from the bipod so all rounds impacted the junk car that was the target. One the other hand, the WWII British tracer fired fine with no hangfires and well over half the tracer elements functioned (some lots reportedly only get maybe a 30-40% light rate). Only maybe one dud in a hundred and the ammo was grungy even though it came from a large sealed crate. Here is a link to pictures of exactly what we were shooting, though ours came from one of the vendors at Knob Creek. https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3932

A few with 1930s 7mm Mauser ammo from Spain. A couple of duds too, and several that fired just fine. I only had maybe 15 or 20 rounds of it, so I shot it all up. It didn't have any collector value since it was loose and the case mouths all had faint cracks. The beater Mauser rifle I used didn't seem to care at all.

Late 1940s-early 1950s French 8mm Lebel - all were hangfires or duds. Tried 10 or 15 rounds just to say I did. All reports of the ammo being good only for components were correct. The stuff with wine red primer sealant tended more towards duds and the stuff with black primer sealant tended more toward hangfires. A reputable machinegun dealer I know relayed to me that back in the early or mid 1990s, the black primer sealed ammo still worked reliably in the M1914 Hotchkiss machinegun that he had in inventory at the time. He also said that after the few hundred rounds he put through it that the inside of the gun looked like someone had covered it in tar. Keep in mind that in those days, PPU wasn't making nice new ammo, you were lucky find a single 40 year old box of Remington, and the few serious shooters of 8mm Lebel were making their cases out of 348 Winchester because that was literally the only option even for brass.

Now, if the thought of a hangfire or misfire in a regular rifle makes your butt pucker, take a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmDDJeQE8rU

I actually got to see this exact gun for sale at Knob Creek 4 or 5 years ago when L & L Machineguns had it there. It's a very interesting rifle and ammunition. And those original rounds? They go for about $200 each.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have witnessed several hangfires the most dangerous IMO is a pop with no kick not unheard of in 5.56 when you send the next round bam and usually have a split receiver and a blown out magazine. When I was a SDS we had a bad run of Lake City and had three blown up M16A2’s in about two weeks.
    Worst was a M72 LAW and M202 FLASH range the stuff we were firing was dated from 1966 thru 1969 this was in the early 90’s about every 1 in 10 was bad we EOD was busy that day.

Top Bottom