• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Meena

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central IN
    I dont see a lot of talk on here about Handis. I really like the ones I have and I hate to see them ending. Just bought a 30-06 and cant wait to see what it can do.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    My son and I each have one in 44Mag. Took a little bit to get them to group, but my son's will now make a ragged hole at 100 yards.

Short story that may only be funny to me, but anyway: My son is one of those who thinks if he sits down to shoot, the bullet should "just hit what I'm aiming at". Took him a while to accept the fact that there is more to shooting than just pulling the trigger, such as experimenting with differing loads to tailor to a rifle. His Handi wasn't very accurate at all out of the box and upon pulling it apart, I found several places where the fore-end was putting pressure on various parts of the barrel. I removed material here and there until it was as close to free floating as it could be without it being free floating. Next trip to the range he fires a shot at 50yds, reloads and fires again....then throws a nice temper tantrum about how "stupid this gun is cause it can't even hit the paper!". Upon going to get the target since he was quitting after two rounds and giving up on "this stupid gun", he found that both bullets had gone through the same hole! He put another target up and decided to try a few more rounds...

They are fun guns and I too am sorry that they are going away.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I'd love to have one in .357, and open sights, I think it would be a neat plinker

Me too. That might be my next gun purchase.

Good luck finding one. They came from the factory with scope bases and no sights. There were a couple hundred Talo models sold that came with sights. Had one for a while;

DII_8131w_zpsa6c2de47.jpg

Sold it to an INGOer a while back. Maybe it'll show up in the classifieds.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Good luck finding one. They came from the factory with scope bases and no sights. There were a couple hundred Talo models sold that came with sights. Had one for a while;

DII_8131w_zpsa6c2de47.jpg

Sold it to an INGOer a while back. Maybe it'll show up in the classifieds.

Nice, that's just what I'd like. My first shotgun was a H&R Topper in 16 ga from Kmart for my 10th birthday.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Picked up a Handy Rifle II Model 258 nickel combo in .357 and 20 ga. a few years ago. Like new in the original Redhead case. Great little rifle: accurate, light, and fantastic in the brush. This one had factory iron sights and drilled & tap for a scope base.
    View attachment 34648

Klbeeks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2013
    Wabas
    They make some nice guns for the money. Wife hunts with .44 mag. It takes a custom load to be accurate. And I also have a 12 ga ultra slug, that will throw a slug dang good!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have 2.
    One is a .500S&W, the other is .45/70gvt.
    I slapped a scope out of a parts drawer on top of the .45/70 out of the box.
    First three shots tore one ragged hole. Next 2 were "fliers" that landed a whopping 2" off of the first shots.

I really like my Handi-rifles. Sorry to see them stop production and I'll probably look for a few used ones now, as long as the prices don't go nuts, like the Savage model 24's.

Meena

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central IN
    I have 2. !
    One is a .500S&W, the other is .45/70gvt.
    I slapped a scope out of a parts drawer on top of the .45/70 out of the box.
    First three shots tore one ragged hole. Next 2 were "fliers" that landed a whopping 2" off of the first shots.

I really like my Handi-rifles. Sorry to see them stop production and I'll probably look for a few used ones now, as long as the prices don't go nuts, like the Savage model 24's.

I have a .500 S&W barrel that got replaced with a .44 mag barrel. I couldn't keep a scope on it with the recoil and the ammo was too high to shoot.

Top Bottom