• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana

Haha, yeah, I'm not sure where the word not came into that sentence. That was supposed to read that I guessed the 1911 was a single stack, as it I saw it even though it's single stack. It's what I get for posting on an ipad I guess lol.

:): I figured someone would notice that after I noticed it earlier today but I figured the damage had been done and maybe if I didn't mention it no one would think I was an idiot lol. Should have known better, everyone knows I'm an idiot already!

poberly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 25, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Man I love this forum. Threads like this that are well written, detailed, heavily opinionated and yet respectful to other members even when they might disagree makes me wish I would have found this site years ago. I really appreciate the level of conversation that I'm reading without comments that attack a member and don't add to the integrity of the thread. It's almost impossible to find an Internet site like this anymore. I would like to thank everyone who has commented so far as this has been an awesome thread to read.

I used to use my Glock 22 as my primary carry. It was either that or a P3AT. I wanted a small gun that would be easy to conceal, but I felt the 380 was too small. I don't mind seeing people at the store with a gun hanging on their belt, but I'd rather conceal-carry. I have a Taurus 24/7c that I've had about a year now, and it quickly became my favorite firearm to carry. Like previously mentioned, choosing the gun to carry is all compromises. I gave up 5 rounds in order to effectively conceal my gun. To me it was well worth it. The gun is big enough to comfortably fit in my hand and I'm comfortable that I could effectively defend my family should the need arise.

I use 3 guidelines: 1. How easy is it to conceal? 2. What is the ammo capacity/size of round? 3. Am I proficient/confident that I can accurately use the gun? With those in mind, I answer this question (most important): Does this firearm enhance my ability to defend my loved ones without putting innocent people at an unnecessary risk? Sorry for the long post, and I hope this helps.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    In my old days with the Fed, they let me carried anything I could shoot well. I started with my Hi Power, then later moved to a Sig P226. Now I am no longer with the Fed. I carry my Sig P229.

poberly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 25, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I just realized I got caught up in the reading and didn't really respond to your original post. I actually just had this conversation with a retired sheriff last week. He was saying that guns keep getting smaller and addons are also (he was referring to an lcp with laser sight). The current trend does appear to be going towards the smaller single stack guns that are easier to conceal. I don't know if that equals to the double stack full size firearms not being popular though. Normally, I don't carry an extra magazine. I'm not trying to act like one of those people who thinks that 10 rounds is enough, because if I ever did have to pull my sidearm, I would want as much firepower as possible. I look at it as I'm not nessasarily trying to stop someone, I'm just trying to keep my family safe until the situation deescalates (hopefully the proper authorities arrive). I do have a question for the people who carry extra mags: do you carry opposite side and/or do you have a mag holster or just put it in your pocket?

Thrown Hammer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Northern
    I carry a Glock 26 iwb with the standard 10 round mag. I keep a 33 round mag in my vehicle. Depending on circumstances sometimes I carry a different quantity of spare magazines from 12 to 17 rounds.

When I go to the Bakaara market I carry an AMD65 in a tennis racket bag.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    At the end of the day, its the gun u have with you that will matter. If that's a 454, good for u. Of its a 22, that's still better than your fist. Who cares about caliber or capacity if you leave it at home? Carry what's easy to carry.
    I respectfully disagree with this. If you are that ambivilant about carry then I question why you carry in the first place. I carry in the event that I would need it to defend my life. If that situation arises it WILL matter very much to me what I have available. To me the anything is better then nothing argument is a strawman. Anything may be better than nothing but being a thinking person I can weigh the benefits and drawbacks and decide what is appropriate. If I believe the possibility of need exists to the point that I have decided to carry then, it stands to reason that it exists to the point that I want something with me that gives me the very best opportunity to survive such an interaction. I just don't understand the logic of believing that the possibility of need is enough to compel you to go armed but not enough to compel you to carry something you think is your best option for survivability. I realize that all handguns are a compromise but I will only compromise so far. Having said all of this I support your right to carry as you please. That doesn't mean I agree or even understand your rationale.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I respectfully disagree with this. If you are that ambivilant about carry then I question why you carry in the first place. I carry in the event that I would need it to defend my life. If that situation arises it WILL matter very much to me what I have available. To me the anything is better then nothing argument is a strawman. Anything may be better than nothing but being a thinking person I can weigh the benefits and drawbacks and decide what is appropriate. If I believe the possibility of need exists to the point that I have decided to carry then, it stands to reason that it exists to the point that I want something with me that gives me the very best opportunity to survive such an interaction. I just don't understand the logic of believing that the possibility of need is enough to compel you to go armed but not enough to compel you to carry something you think is your best option for survivability. I realize that all handguns are a compromise but I will only compromise so far. Having said all of this I support your right to carry as you please. That doesn't mean I agree or even understand your rationale.

Ok, you have just given me an awesome reason to continue on carrying the way I have been carrying.

"I will only compromise so far"

I love that.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ok, you have just given me an awesome reason to continue on carrying the way I have been carrying.

"I will only compromise so far"

I love that.

Hey lovemachine, I was reading back through this thread and I didn't find where you said what you carry. I know you started the thread but what do you carry?

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    For concealed carry, barrel length is less of an issue than thickness and grip length. That is what makes the "bulge". A round butt K frame with a 4 inch barrel hides easier than a 2" N frame. That is part of why the 5 shot J frames carry so well, the cylinder is smaller diameter. Same with semi autos, a "compact" with a thick grip frame makes more bulge than a midsize with an abreviated grip length single stack.

Like single stack points out, you have to be able to actually shoot the firearm also, something I personally cannot do with some of the really compact .380 pistols on the market.

For those of you that carry of have carried a 5-shot snub nose revolver, have you ever carried IWB? If so, is it comfortable? Or is it better to carry OWB? What holsters do you like?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Hey lovemachine, I was reading back through this thread and I didn't find where you said what you carry. I know you started the thread but what to do your carry?

I carry a Glock 26 AIWB. Sometimes it will be a Glock 19. Always with a spare mag weak side.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    For those of you that carry of have carried a 5-shot snub nose revolver, have you ever carried IWB? If so, is it comfortable? Or is it better to carry OWB? What holsters do you like?
    A little 5-shot snubby does very well IWB. The "roundedness" makes it comfortable and she lack or straight edges prevents printing.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Circumstances determine what I carry: weather and dress, where I'm going, etc. I specifically chose weapons to fill all the slots of size and weight I wanted to cover.

G22 for OWB which is rare. This is primarily my nightstand gun, but I occasionally get an urge to carry it.
    G26 for IWB when heavier cover garments are appropriate, when I'm not concerned about being 'made' or when I'm going somewhere I want a bit more firepower.
    Kahr CM9 in a tuckable IWB is my most common EDC. I can conceal that under a tee-shirt with only the clip visible.
    Taurus TCP in pocket holster for when nothing else will do. I will sometimes toss this into an outside pocket of a heavy coat for ease of access, even though I will probably be carrying the G26 under all those layers.

As for extra magazines, I rarely carry them.

Here's a pic of the Kahr in its holster, just for fun:
    424282_196231533811982_258205540_n.jpg

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I just realized I got caught up in the reading and didn't really respond to your original post. I actually just had this conversation with a retired sheriff last week. He was saying that guns keep getting smaller and addons are also (he was referring to an lcp with laser sight). The current trend does appear to be going towards the smaller single stack guns that are easier to conceal. I don't know if that equals to the double stack full size firearms not being popular though. Normally, I don't carry an extra magazine. I'm not trying to act like one of those people who thinks that 10 rounds is enough, because if I ever did have to pull my sidearm, I would want as much firepower as possible. I look at it as I'm not nessasarily trying to stop someone, I'm just trying to keep my family safe until the situation deescalates (hopefully the proper authorities arrive). I do have a question for the people who carry extra mags: do you carry opposite side and/or do you have a mag holster or just put it in your pocket?

I carry 2 extra mags in a mag carrier on the opposite side.

Darn, I want a rep!

Start carrying a HiPower! Lol.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Back in the day I carried a S&W 469. Short and fat - double stack, 12 rounds, and bear to shoot. Grip was too short. Had to file down the pinkie rest to avoid printing too much. For a while there was a KT PF9, and it was a joy to carry - small, light, thin. Impossible to shoot more then 20 times without beating my hand to death. Now its a Kahr CW9 - small, light, but with an actual usable grip. Single stack, but always an extra mag on the holster. Even my own family doesn't know when I'm carrying it. I'm just not big enough to carry my favorite Ruger P89DC concealed.

mcwulf30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    I've had a RIA 9mm as a CC (single stack) and my current MAG98 (double stack). To be honest.....I cant tell the difference except for that with my MAG98...i'm getting more of a handful when I grab it.......lol.

rjklein4470

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Carmel
    Carry what you want, but in the age of multiple attackers, I will stick with my USP C .357 sig or my sig P229 .357. I will take a mouse gun to a event because they are easy to get past the gate, but other than that I will stick with 13+ rounds.

Most of the trend in needing your ccw is at home, so I keep a AR in the house close. We are past the age of a couple muggers, now its more like five.

rjklein4470

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Carmel
    Circumstances determine what I carry: weather and dress, where I'm going, etc. I specifically chose weapons to fill all the slots of size and weight I wanted to cover.

G22 for OWB which is rare. This is primarily my nightstand gun, but I occasionally get an urge to carry it.
    G26 for IWB when heavier cover garments are appropriate, when I'm not concerned about being 'made' or when I'm going somewhere I want a bit more firepower.
    Kahr CM9 in a tuckable IWB is my most common EDC. I can conceal that under a tee-shirt with only the clip visible.
    Taurus TCP in pocket holster for when nothing else will do. I will sometimes toss this into an outside pocket of a heavy coat for ease of access, even though I will probably be carrying the G26 under all those layers.

As for extra magazines, I rarely carry them.

Here's a pic of the Kahr in its holster, just for fun:
    424282_196231533811982_258205540_n.jpg

can you get to that Khar quickly? Just looks like it might be faster in the front pocket.

Top Bottom