• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ferg409

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    franklin.indiana
    hi just a question my grandson is getting his permit /but if 18yr old cant buy
    a handgun. can he be willed one from family. then can he carry with permit.
    any help. thanks ferg.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    You can give him a firearm as a gift. Plain and simple. Yes, if he has his license to carry handgun, he may carry it as he sees fit, minus the forbidden areas.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Your grandson can still buy a handgun from another private party, as long as he doesn't have to go through a dealer. Buying ammo might be a little difficult for him unless he has someone to buy it for him. In Indiana, he can carry at 18 years old as long as he has a valid License to Carry Handgun. Let him know, however that he may not be able to carry in other states, as many of them require you to be 21.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Any handgun he legally possesses is fine for him to carry. Even if you don't want to give or sell it to him, if you say, "Here take this until you can buy something else, and then I want it back" that's fine too.

Hoosierdood is right though, someone will have to buy ammunition for him.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    He might be able to buy the ammo if he has a rifle/carbine in the same caliber... that's how I got around it before I was 21... course you have to find a dealer that will do it... most big box stores won't sell to under 21 from what I've seen.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    For an 18 year old:

Buy Handgun from Dealer? - No
    Buy Ammo from Dealer? - Only if its for a Rifle/long-gun
    Buy Handgun from Private Party - Yes, perfectly legal
    Be Given a Handgun as a Gift? - Yes

Basically, he could buy from an individual, but not an FFL. And you'll probably have to pick up his ammunition for him. But he is perfectly legal to carry as long as he has the LTCH.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    There is a video on YouTube that I am too lazy to look up right now of a guy under 21 that shows how silly it is that someone won't sell him handgun caliber ammo. He show a 22, 12 gauge slug and .50 bmg that he can buy but the 9mm is illegal. It is quite humorous if not silly.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I know at my local Wal mart when I worked there 3 plus years ago when handgun was was purchased it said for handgun if you clicked yes it asked if customer was 21 hit no asks if they are 18. I personally did it 2 different ways. My girlfriend was 21 so if we were together she bought it. If I was alone it was for a rifle... occasionally I ran across the uneducated salesman

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, some of the big box stores have weird policies on that. He might be able to purchase the ammo he needs from a gun store, ASSUMING that he can say "this is for my pistol-caliber carbine." Gun stores are typically better about knowing the laws and realizing that they CAN sell it to someone as long as its for a rifle.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It's not like booze; you won't get in trouble buying it for him, as much as he wants. Work out your own payment arrangement. Oh, that just sounds wrong. I think you know what I mean. No, that's not it. You people...

Top Bottom