• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    The war with Japan ended correctly. Unfortunately the war with Germany ended a bit too soon. Sometimes being the biggest bully on the block pays dividends. You have to know how to implement it though

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Did we give Germany a "ceasefire"..
    Or did we finish it
    ?

Germany was lucky that we didn't "finish it" the same as Japan. The US would have had no problems dropping nucs on Hitler. Vaporizing cities one after another right in front of the Red army might have reshaped the cold war 10 years later.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The war with Japan ended correctly. Unfortunately the war with Germany ended a bit too soon. Sometimes being the biggest bully on the block pays dividends. You have to know how to implement it though
    Too bad they dumped all those small arms in the ocean. The beat down to their navy was epic. And the allied victory didn't stop them from trying this:

In mid-September 1945, Foreign Minister Shigemitsu Mamoru telegraphed Japanese diplomats in Europe (Drea 2009):
    "Since the Americans have recently been raising an uproar about the question of our mistreatment of prisoners, I think we should make every effort to exploit the atomic bomb question in our propaganda."

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In mid-September 1945, Foreign Minister Shigemitsu Mamoru telegraphed Japanese diplomats in Europe (Drea 2009):
    "Since the Americans have recently been raising an uproar about the question of our mistreatment of prisoners, I think we should make every effort to exploit the atomic bomb question in our propaganda."

Had Japan surrendered, and THEN we dropped the nukes, he'd have a point.
    Since Japan was STILL FIGHTING, then his point is moot.

Does anyone doubt that if the nukes weren't dropped, that there would have been a fight even more bloody on our troops AND their population?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    So, does retribution for the Oct 7th bloodbath factor into Israel's retaliation on Iran?

I think it does... their proxy Hamas perpetrated the genocidal attack... so add that in to returning fire from all of the missiles and drones Iran launched.

I think Israel will make Iran pay for it's mistake in attacking directly from their own territory... allowing Israel pretense to strike them directly.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    So, does retribution for the Oct 7th bloodbath factor into Israel's retaliation on Iran?

I think it does... their proxy Hamas perpetrated the genocidal attack... so add that in to returning fire from all of the missiles and drones Iran launched.

I think Israel will make Iran pay for it's mistake in attacking directly from their own territory... allowing Israel pretense to strike them directly.
    Allowing pretense? Gives them a solid reason, not a pretense. Their restraint to this point puzzles the **** outta me.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    In 1918 they got a ceasefire. In 1945 they got put down.

And that ceasefire created conditions drastic enough to create public sentiment and justification to push back against what was seen as unfair to the general public.

It feels like people refuse to acknowledge knock on effects of actions.

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    And that ceasefire created conditions drastic enough to create public sentiment and justification to push back against what was seen as unfair to the general public.

It feels like people refuse to acknowledge knock on effects of actions.
    Reminds me of a passage in Michener's "Hawaii", where one character tells Whip, it is not enough to simply beat a man in a fight, once he is down you need to put a boot in his face, so everyday he knows that he was beaten.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In WWI, Germany itself got off relatively untouched.
    The people were told, that their military, and upper government failed them. They didn't REALLY lose.

That, coupled with a failing economy, and then they wanted another go around.

Then, in WWII, when the allies were on their march through Europe, Allied Command was worried that Either Hitler, or whoever replaced him, would get smart, and surrender BEFORE Germany took a proper "pounding".
    And conditions would be set for the next war.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    At over 5K posts in this thread it may already have been discussed but it keeps coming to mind. I've seen the cost of the Israeli missiles ranging from $40K-$100K. How much are the Iranians spending per missile/rocket?

Again I'm always suspicious of USAF officers above the rank of Colonel without pilot's wings (or Command Badge.) To me this seems like the same strategy Russia is using in Ukraine, only the Rooskies are throwing bodies instead of cheap missiles.

Pentagon press secretary Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder said Monday that Iran’s failed attack on Israel over the weekend was "pretty telling" about Tehran’s weapons capabilities.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    At over 5K posts in this thread it may already have been discussed but it keeps coming to mind. I've seen the cost of the Israeli missiles ranging from $40K-$100K. How much are the Iranians spending per missile/rocket?

Again I'm always suspicious of USAF officers above the rank of Colonel without pilot's wings (or Command Badge.) To me this seems like the same strategy Russia is using in Ukraine, only the Rooskies are throwing bodies instead of cheap missiles.

Pentagon press secretary Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder said Monday that Iran’s failed attack on Israel over the weekend was "pretty telling" about Tehran’s weapons capabilities.

Dollar for dollar, what did we spend to shoot down scuds? This is no different. They are swatting mosquitoes with solid gold bars.

they could send a large “gold bar” to Teran and end this.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

That may be. But I suspect Iran did it more out of Muslim terrorist cred than anything. Their statement that they want Israel to consider the matter closed and not retaliate plays to that point. I don’t think they had aspirations of a few cheap missiles doing any real damage. Islamic virtue signaling.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Dollar for dollar, what did we spend to shoot down scuds? This is no different. They are swatting mosquitoes with solid gold bars.

they could send a large “gold bar” to Teran and end this.
    No different than punishing acts of terrorism by shooting million dollar cruise missiles at tents in the desert. We virtue signal too. We just have more money we can borrow to buy more expensive signals.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    In WWI, Germany itself got off relatively untouched.
    The people were told, that their military, and upper government failed them. They didn't REALLY lose.

That, coupled with a failing economy, and then they wanted another go around.

Then, in WWII, when the allies were on their march through Europe, Allied Command was worried that Either Hitler, or whoever replaced him, would get smart, and surrender BEFORE Germany took a proper "pounding".
    And conditions would be set for the next war.
    You left off that the conditions of the armistice in WWI were a huge part of their financial woes.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just how soon will the Nukes be brought out :(
    You mean used? Because they're always 'out' and just one PAL code away from being used

And I believe, because of the likelihood of being involved in a retaliatory strike, that the officers of an SSBN can launch on their own without the need for PAL

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    That may be. But I suspect Iran did it more out of Muslim terrorist cred than anything. Their statement that they want Israel to consider the matter closed and not retaliate plays to that point. I don’t think they had aspirations of a few cheap missiles doing any real damage. Islamic virtue signaling.
    Eh, I'm going to disagree... I think the mullahs thought the much published "90%" effectiveness of the iron dome would yield them 30ish impacts on military and civilian targets... and likely were arrogant in thinking their tech was superior to the average middle East stuff, and that they would beat the over-under.

That their assault was almost completely repelled no doubt opened their eyes somewhat. (read that as they **** their robes)

I'd say that since there is still debate in the war cabinet, Israel will mostly attack Iranian drone, cruise missile and ballistic missile launch and assembly/manufacture sites... with primary emphasis on ballistic missile capabilities. If possible, to utterly defang Iran's offensive capability to strike Israel from Iran... hard to "rain down" 1500 missiles when you have none left.

Top Bottom