• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    It seems that most of the threads about Ham Radio go here, so if this is in the wrong spot please move it.

I've been reading a couple of other threads about Ham Radio and I can't seem to get it out of my head. I once held a technician class license and let it expire. I'm searching for a way to test and request my previously held call sign. I've found that my call is still listed in my name and there is a way to request it, I just don't find what the exact procedure is.

Any of you active operators have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You can request a vanity call. It's easy. Hw long has your call been expired? You have a 2 year grace period.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    You can request a vanity call. It's easy. Hw long has your call been expired? You have a 2 year grace period.

I think I missed it lol.

I've been taking practice tests tonight, if I could get one of these I'd pass... Do I request the vanity call on the day of the test? Or after the fact?

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It's been to long :-(

After you get your new call issued. It only takes days from the time the paper work is filed to get your new call. I am not to sure on the time frame for a vanity. Less then 2 weeks I would think. If you can pass the on line testing near 70% you will probably pass the test. FWIW, you can test for tech and general and extra all in the same form for one filing fee. Study hard!

Last edited:

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    It's been to long :-(

After you get your new call issued. It only takes days from the time the paper work is filed to get your new call. I am not to sure on the time frame for a vanity. Less then 2 weeks I would think. If you can pass the on line testing near 70% you will probably pass the test. FWIW, you can test for tech and general and extra all in the same form for one filing fee. Study hard!

It would be nice to knock it out and be done with it. I'll have to take a look and see how I do.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Take a little more time and go general. It's not a lot more difficult, and you get a lot more to work with. If my wife can do it (she eventually got her extra) it's not that hard.

Back a hundred years ago I was studying for the general and didn't find it that difficult. My biggest hold back was getting up to speed with the code. I had trouble getting fast enough. Kind of glad those days are gone, I suspect it's better for the hobby.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    There are 2 schools of thought on that. I like CW because you can do a lot with very little power. You can also do CW now with a PC without knowing code. I am a big fan of PSK31. I have had QSO's on 4 continents with less than 30 watts. I do agree with you, I think the hobby has gained a lot of interest now that the code test is no longer required. 2 meter has also come a long way.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I think there are more CW ops on the air now than there was before they dropped the requirement. I've been at the key for almost 30 years now and I hear more CW now than I have in almost forever. I have played with PSK and JT modes but I find them too resource consuming...when it comes to simple CW. I work in IT so when I get home, playing with the computer isn't my idea of having fun. JT-9 and JT-65 are remarkable modes for weak signal work.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I suspect it may be a natural progression for somebody to want to get into CW. Making it a requirement, at a minimum level of proficiency, for licensing may have scared some people away in the past.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I suspect it may be a natural progression for somebody to want to get into CW. Making it a requirement, at a minimum level of proficiency, for licensing may have scared some people away in the past.

Without a doubt...and it kept some really good RF engineers out of the ranks. Charlie Sears N9MEW (now a SK) was the RF engineer for WTTV for years and years...knew more about radio waves and antennas than probably 95% of the ham radio field...but he never got a license until they dropped the CW requirement. I know other guys that were electronic techs and engineers that got their licenses almost the day the CW requirement was dropped. Plenty of aspects in the hobby to keep you busy learning for a lifetime.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Without a doubt...and it kept some really good RF engineers out of the ranks. Charlie Sears N9MEW (now a SK) was the RF engineer for WTTV for years and years...knew more about radio waves and antennas than probably 95% of the ham radio field...but he never got a license until they dropped the CW requirement. I know other guys that were electronic techs and engineers that got their licenses almost the day the CW requirement was dropped. Plenty of aspects in the hobby to keep you busy learning for a lifetime.

Charlie was an awesome fellow. I miss him. I spent many hours "talking radio" with him. RIP Charlie.

Glock Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Charlie was a great guy. When I was at WTUX Radio he delivered a couple of Tascam cassette decks so that we could record The Golden Age of Radio programs for him to enjoy in his leisure. 73 Charlie!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    There are 2 schools of thought on that. I like CW because you can do a lot with very little power. You can also do CW now with a PC without knowing code. I am a big fan of PSK31. I have had QSO's on 4 continents with less than 30 watts. I do agree with you, I think the hobby has gained a lot of interest now that the code test is no longer required. 2 meter has also come a long way.

Ditto here on the digital modes. While I would love to learn CW, I know realistically that it is not going to happen in the near future. I look at my bench and all the projects I would like to complete....... I hit the easy button and can get somewhat similar results with digital modes. Maybe when I retire? lol.

Top Bottom