• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    1 o'clock on the 465 dial
    I grew out of open carrying when I got my badge. I have no issue with anyone open carrying, I just feel more comfortable concealing when I'm off duty.

By the way, where is the OP? He kinda disappeared on us.

I haven't disappeared but have sat back and read some great insight as well as BS on selling to an 18 year old. I've been in sales for 30 years and if a sale doesn't go through, I review what could have been done differently. What I could have done differently is re-worded my initial post. I had never sold to an 18 year old and wanted to know how maybe others went through the check list of what they may do. I knew the law and appreciate those that addressed that. What I got back from grandmasters to plinkers was, he only has "x" number of posts and 19 transactions and whether I was capable of understanding the process, put it back in your safe, will you look back with regret, if you have a doubt then don't do it, he's legal sell it and calling out my overall interaction in the INGO community because of the number of posts and quality of said posts or transactions between myself and others, a plinker opined that I just got enough posts to sell.

My overall view is I do lurk, read and digest plenty, however I am not looking on a daily basis on topics in the the various categories. I do look at the for sale sections or want to buy on the daily but in many cases when I look at the various threads my opinion has been voiced and god forbid if you started a post that has been covered at nauseum (sp?) because someone will say go look it up or this has been covered. There are members that jump on someone that may say clip instead of magazine and to me people do not know the correct terms or weren't paying attention when they typed it and is no reason to smash their head on the curb.

I think that INGO is a great source of information with a great support of our 2nd amendment rights. Their are "know it alls" and then there are "know it alls" that have some great insight and teach/provide valuable information to take in our daily lives while we carry and protect ourselves and families.

I chose not to respond to a lot of what I consider drivel. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean I'm wrong on how I conduct myself on INGO. My feedback on sales and purchases is glowing and I am fairly confident some jackass is gonna say, "well that doesn't mean anything". I should have changed my post or just not posted at all. Which after numerous negative comments doesn't really encourage interaction or the willingness to do so. That is what I thought the INGO community was about discussing, directing and giving insight, not curb stomping. Go back and read some of the responses and digest it with the content of the opening post and you will see that some responses were uncalled for.

On a positive note, I met with said 18-yr old and after a brief discussion we made the deal. We both had bill of sales and shared the appropriate information with each other.

I think this post will bump me to 65.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I haven't disappeared but have sat back and read some great insight as well as BS on selling to an 18 year old. I've been in sales for 30 years and if a sale doesn't go through, I review what could have been done differently. What I could have done differently is re-worded my initial post. I had never sold to an 18 year old and wanted to know how maybe others went through the check list of what they may do. I knew the law and appreciate those that addressed that. What I got back from grandmasters to plinkers was, he only has "x" number of posts and 19 transactions and whether I was capable of understanding the process, put it back in your safe, will you look back with regret, if you have a doubt then don't do it, he's legal sell it and calling out my overall interaction in the INGO community because of the number of posts and quality of said posts or transactions between myself and others, a plinker opined that I just got enough posts to sell.

My overall view is I do lurk, read and digest plenty, however I am not looking on a daily basis on topics in the the various categories. I do look at the for sale sections or want to buy on the daily but in many cases when I look at the various threads my opinion has been voiced and god forbid if you started a post that has been covered at nauseum (sp?) because someone will say go look it up or this has been covered. There are members that jump on someone that may say clip instead of magazine and to me people do not know the correct terms or weren't paying attention when they typed it and is no reason to smash their head on the curb.

I think that INGO is a great source of information with a great support of our 2nd amendment rights. Their are "know it alls" and then there are "know it alls" that have some great insight and teach/provide valuable information to take in our daily lives while we carry and protect ourselves and families.

I chose not to respond to a lot of what I consider drivel. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean I'm wrong on how I conduct myself on INGO. My feedback on sales and purchases is glowing and I am fairly confident some jackass is gonna say, "well that doesn't mean anything". I should have changed my post or just not posted at all. Which after numerous negative comments doesn't really encourage interaction or the willingness to do so. That is what I thought the INGO community was about discussing, directing and giving insight, not curb stomping. Go back and read some of the responses and digest it with the content of the opening post and you will see that some responses were uncalled for.

On a positive note, I met with said 18-yr old and after a brief discussion we made the deal. We both had bill of sales and shared the appropriate information with each other.

I think this post will bump me to 65.

Capture.jpg

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]IC 35-47-2-7Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10 (governing children and firearms), a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    Indiana Code 2018 - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    What I got back from grandmasters to plinkers was, he only has "x" number of posts and 19 transactions and whether I was capable of understanding the process, put it back in your safe, will you look back with regret, if you have a doubt then don't do it, he's legal sell it and calling out my overall interaction in the INGO community because of the number of posts and quality of said posts or transactions between myself and others, a plinker opined that I just got enough posts to sell.
    I suppose I am the said Plinker you are referring to ...........With the direction of the thread , I saw some relevance to at least take notice of post/transactions , and if it could have relevance in comfort of a sale .( I think you would understand the question with you being in sales for 30 years )
    My post count is not much better than yours , and some may or may not deal with me or welcome my opinion on certain threads because of it . I think there is an "earned Respect " in contributing to this and other forums , and comes with some Merit in doing so .
    But ........ In your opening Title - You are asking for " Gut Feelings and Opinions " I think you got both .
    Meant no personal attack ........Glad to see you made your sale .

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The age profiling amazes me. Just because someone is 18 some think they're irresponsible ...
    -snip-

It's not necessarily about being "irresponsible".

It's just at 18, there's a larger percentage of people who aren't YET emotionally mature enough to own let alone carry a gun, BUT grow past it in a few years.
    (AND YES, there's some who never will be ready to carry a gun no matter how old the get)

I'm sorry this is long.

Examples,
    -- My nephew grew up a very angry kid.
    His father left them one day when he was pre-school age.
    He grew up with a rage always just beneath the surface.
    HE STILL HAD A BAD SOMETIMES VIOLENT TEMPER AT 18, and there's no way he should've owned a gun, and we ALL hoped he wouldn't get one.
    TODAY, he's in his 30's, married and has kids, and he grew out of his anger as he went through his 20's.
    Him owning and carrying a gun would be fine NOW because his head is on straight.

-- When my stepson was 13 years old, his father decided to blow his brains out one day.
    It REALLY messed up him, his two younger sisters and his mother.
    I'd known the mother since we were kids and reconnected with her about 10 months later.
    This boy who was in his heart a good kid was so angry and pissed of there was no reaching him and he refused help.
    I was dating his mother then, and many times I had to step in and restrain him (I never hit him) when he was violent and threatening of his mother and sisters.
    He threatened to kill me several times, and I just stood my ground and told him to "go for it".
    I NEVER felt he was a "killer", he was just "broken", and had faith that someday he'd get past it.

I remember him doing everything he could to drive me away, and I told him that I didn't care what he did, I wasn't going anywhere.
    (many years later he noted that to his mother "Ed said he wasn't going anywhere and he didn't")

He was this way until about when he turned 20 years old, and THERE'S NO WAY AT 18 HE SHOULD'VE HAD A GUN.
    We "butted heads" for the last time but also the hardest then.
    He was threatening and intimidating his mother and twice within about 10 minutes I had to throw him up against the wall (I never hit him) and got in his face and told him to grow up and quit acting like a F'n baby, he's not a little kid anymore and it's time he start acting like a young man.
    After the second time, he got so mad he about had a stroke, and went into his room and sulked for a few hours.

After he came out, he was calm and his mother told me he said to her "I really needed that".
    THAT WAS A BIT OF A TURNING POINT and he gradually began getting better.
    It wasn't much longer that he and I began getting along better and I FINALLY have been able to reach him over the last few years.
    HE'S NOW 25 YEARS OLD, he's finally realizing that he can't waste away his life being pissed off because one day he'll wake up and see that he wasted his life being pissed off over something that he can't change.

I've shot guns with him some over the last few years, and he's a good shot.
    He's been speaking of getting a gun recently but hasn't yet.
    But at 25 I'm not too worried that if he does get a gun he'll do something stupid.
    NO WAY HE SHOULD'VE HAD A GUN AT 18 THOUGH...

ON THE FLIP SIDE
    -- I was with a divorced woman for 5+ years who had a son who got his concealed carry license at 18.
    He was bright, level headed and had good judgement.
    We used to shoot out behind their house and at a local indoor range.
    His father bought him a pistol at 18 and I had no problem with it.

MY POINT?
    SOME young people at 18 should wait some years before they start carrying a gun, and then they'll be fine

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It's not necessarily about being "irresponsible".

It's just at 18, there's a larger percentage of people who aren't YET emotionally mature enough to own let alone carry a gun, BUT grow past it in a few years.
    (AND YES, there's some who never will be ready to carry a gun no matter how old the get)

MY POINT?
    SOME young people at 18 should wait some years before they start carrying a gun, and then they'll be fine

Plenty of people in their 30s and older with anger issues and are unstable. You can't cure people being crazy. Plenty of 18 year olds that are married nowadays (if married is now considered a level of sanity and stability)

I had my first firearm at 9. Second at 10 or 11. Before I hit 18 there was a couple additional. Grew up in a hunting family so was around guns for as long as I can remember.

Everyone is different, every situation is difference. My experience is different than your family member's experience. People can't be lumped in general assumptions just because their age (young means not mature/smart enough, old means mature/experienced/knowledgeable) because everyone is different and people process situations differently.

If an 18 year old wanted to buy a gun I had for sale, if they seemed proper, carried themselves well, seemed knowledgeable, etc. I'd have no problem selling them a firearm. If I chose not to and I'd say I wasn't comfortable with the age least they'd probably understand and move on; if I turned down a grown man because he didn't seem proper, didn't carry himself well, or didn't seem knowledgeable I'd almost guarantee they'd have some sort of hostility because I chose not to sell them the gun.

Granted everyone is different but I've seen enough grown men get beyond frustrated because they got delayed on their NICS background check even though they have their LTCH and "they never been in trouble"

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This is when I would like to use some self deprecating humor but it might be recorded and used against me at some point...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder why a responsible 18 year old couldn't source a more seasoned person to assist, avoiding questions about this issue all together?

Top Bottom