• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redryder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Evansville IN
    Has anything new been passed to make it legal to store your gun in a car at the post office? I have looked around and cannot find a yes or no answer to this question.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Citizens can legally carry firearms in post office parking lots, a federal judge has ruled.
    The case stems from a lawsuit filed by Tab Bonidy, a resident of rural Avon, Colorado, who was prohibited by U.S. Postal Service regulations from carrying his gun on postal service property.
    In the town of Avon, the post office doesn't deliver mail to residents but does provide free post office boxes. Bonidy, who is legally permitted to carry a concealed firearm, was unable to carry the weapon on post office property without violating the law.
    U.S. District Court Judge Richard Matsch ruled that the USPS must permit Bonidy to carry his gun in his car in the public parking lot at the post office.
    "Mr. Bonidy's liberty can be accommodated by modifying the regulation to permit Mr. Bonidy to "have ready access to essential postal services... while also exercising his right to self-defense," Mitsch wrote in the ruling.
    Because of the firearms restrictions, Bonidy had to have an employee pick up and deliver his mail at the Avon Post Office, the court said.
    While ackowledging that post offices are "sensitive" places and the ban imposed by the USPS regulations is a presumptively valid restriction of that liberty, the parking lot was not a sensitive place. The court said USPS attorneys had failed to present evidence to support enforcement of the regulation on post office parking lots.
    In 1972, the Postal Service enacted regulations that prevented open and concealed-carry weapons and explosives on postal property.
    A number of high-profile gun violence incidents at post offices across the country has increased the scrutiny on post office safety in recent years.
    Despite the ruling, it is still illegal to carry a firearm inside a post office.

Guns OK in post office parking lots, federal judge rules - CNN.com

mannus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Conceal carry and it isn't an issue. Until they install metal detectors or start doing pat downs, I'm gonna carry.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Has anything new been passed to make it legal to store your gun in a car at the post office?

Passed in Congress, signed by the President? No.

There is a lawsuit in the federal 10th Circuit (Bonidy v. United States) originating in Avon, Colorado.

Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Court_of_Appeals_for_the_Tenth_Circuit

The oral argument was in October of 2014. We are awaiting the decision.

The oral argument audio is available and you can see what is going on here: Bonidy v. USPS ? Appeal : Michel and Associates, P.C.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Why is anyone on here openly admitting to the whole internet you have broken a law and will do so in the future? This isn't a simple infraction we are talking about here...geez.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I don't. I park on the street or in a neighboring parking lot, leave it in the car and get some exercise. I got to the post office maybe 3 times a year lol.
    My little post office in Lizton has 3 spots marked on the street. I don't risk parking in those, and instead park on the side street where it isn't marked instead.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I learned something new today.

I'll I did not know the parking lot was off limits. I thought it was inside the building only.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My total trips to the post office per year are just about 2. I always park on the street. What I do with my EDC is no ones business.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK, I know that Heller did not define what "sensitive places" were w/r/t that ruling, only that they existed, which by extension means that there are other places that are not sensitive.

My question is, "What makes one place "sensitive" for the purpose of the SCOTUS ruling?" That is, why is a post office considered "sensitive"? Do they house government secrets? Are there nuclear weapons there? No and no. So..... what gives? Why is that place so ruled?

Blessings,
    Bill

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Does someone have a copy of the constitution that says "...shall not be infringed except in sensitive places"?

I know, I know. Preaching to the choir, and all. Two solutions:

1. Privatize USPS
    2. Indiana needs to expand its castle doctrine to include conveyance (as in, the right to be armed in one's vehicle, not merely the current SYG protection)

Top Bottom