• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    I have discussed this before on the board, regarding the phasing out of firearms from Walmart, so just a short recap here:
    1. Walmart used to be the largest gun retailer in the country.
    2. Last I checked, only 16 Walmart stores in Indiana still had FFL (and that was almost 2 years ago).

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    As for the phase out. Talked at length to the manager here locally. The phasing out has to do with liability and the lack of qualified personal to do the paper work.
    Spencer Wal -mart lost their right to sell firearms for deeply discounting hunting items (including firearm related) after season. Go figure...Duce<><

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    When Portland stopped carrying them it was explained to me that they had to sell a minimun. Something like 250 or 300,000.00 to be able to keep them, and the portland store was 20 or 30k short. Makes NO sense to me.

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    walmart here in logansport doesnt, but they are building a new super walmart here dont know if they will....kokomo and monticello still do though

indyplinker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Big R in Wabash has the best selection of weapons for a chain store I,ve ever seen. Even carry pistols, like Ruger, Springfield and other brands.:D

theboss365

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    PLYMOUTH
    I live in Plymouth, and all the walmarts I have been to around here have them including South Bend, Elkhart, and Plymouth and now the Plymouth store has plenty of ammo. Still short on some stuff though.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I bet it has to do with the Store Manager. They have alot of say of what goes on in their store. If they don't want to sell guns, they don't have to. My second guess would be that the store does not sell enough to support having them.

I do not agree, a store manager wants to climb the China-Mart ladder. And the way they will do this is by running a PROFITABLE store. If they will make a profit selling guns that adds to the bottom line! And they climb on up! Any store will set up so much store space to sell a item. If the item makes a profit for the store in regards to the amount of space it takes up it will stay.
    If a store does not have guns due to the store manager then they are anti-gun and we should not be there! And we should not be giving them any of our money!

Plymouth, IN has them.

It has been a long time for me being in there, but yes they still have some, but nothing like they use to have.

walmart sux.. go else where..

:+1:

As for the phase out. Talked at length to the manager here locally. The phasing out has to do with liability and the lack of qualified personal to do the paper work.
    Spencer Wal -mart lost their right to sell firearms for deeply discounting hunting items (including firearm related) after season. Go figure...Duce<><

Duce, the part about "qualified personal to do paper work Plus manage the firearms part of the sporting goods department is Dead on!
    But, lost their right to sell firearms for deeply discounting hunting items after hunting season!!?? Come on- the BATF&E does not care if you make a profit when you sell a firearm, they want the laws followed and the paper work done right! If you are not a good Businessman and do not make enough profit to pay the bills and stay open, they do not care, its the laws and paperwork for them. Duce, please read below.

I live in Plymouth, and all the walmarts I have been to around here have them including South Bend, Elkhart, and Plymouth and now the Plymouth store has plenty of ammo. Still short on some stuff though.

Rochester does not sell anymore, and from what I seen years ago and have been told they had one large display of firearms.
    I know for a fact that the Plymouth store has been bit by the boys. And I was told from a man that used to work for China-Mart that it is the "qualified personal" like Duce said. When you have people managing the firearms that do not Know the laws, they order guns in, that they can not legally sell in Indiana. (Guns that are hand guns per Indiana State Law and they are not licensed in the state of Indiana to sell handguns, that will get you in trouble) The stores in this area, used to carry Ruger Mini-14. The people from Chicago and Cook County ( I did not check my books but you will get the idea) would go into a Indiana China-Mart and the "personal" behind the counter would see, they are from Illinois and think they can buy a rifle in Indiana. But not if they are from Cook County, they can not have one of those evil rifles. China-Mart did not want to pay a good wage so they could hire someone that would take the time to study the laws and knows firearms, to run the gun department and work the counter. When paper work has to be done right and laws followed you need someone that knows what to do!
    Come on, you all remember the person behind the counter when you would say, "I would like to look at the Ruger Mini-14" and they would open the show case and start to point and say "This One?" pointing to the Mossberg 500 12ga and just go down the line until you said -yes that one!

Like spacelegged said--they sux

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I spent the last 2 years working VERY closely with some of the "higher-ups" from Bentonville and can assure you that Uncle Walton is rolling in his grave. WalMart was started as a hunting and sporting goods store. The "phase-out" is happening and will continue until they no longer carry anything firearm related, period. As for this
    BS, the mngr was merely making conversation and telling you what he THOUGHT or what you wanted to hear. You will never convince me that with the resources at hand.........just BS, that's all. I've heard so many ridiculous claims from peon store managers it's laughable. One even claimed the ammo shortage at wallyworld was because they couldn't make any money selling ammo due to low markup and they just weren't ordering more.....Who controls the markup(rhetorical)? From What I have seen, the metropolitan areas and nearby stores are already done, those with lower sales are gradually being phased out......Would not surprise me to see them buy a struggling SG chain though, like gander.........just speculating there though.

Top Bottom