Guns (and maybe other hardware) of the 2022 Russian Invasion of Ukraine..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Those are out there.

Just goes to show, because its old, its not obsolete as long as it takes a modern cartridge. Obsolescent yes.. obsolete, NO WAY.

But I am betting that guy is happy to have SOMETHING, rather then nothing. I really REALLY hate the attitude in some of the tactical community that because its not some tricked and kitted out modern thing, that it's completely useless. Yeah and just what happens when you can't get batteries for some of that stuff. Are you much better off then this guy with grandpa's DPM? The DPM is still capable of laying down a world of hurt. Well at least until you come to the pan change at 47 rounds. Which is a bit finicky mind you. And.. well I hope you have an hour or two to reload all those pans. But that is why its Obsolescent but not obsolete.
    Well, I'm just glad I happened to notice it (and had the ability to rewind and pause live tv!). Thank you for the education. I truly had never heard of these before.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

For the first time since WW2, German Panzerfausts are used in anger.. ironically against Russian armor.

Among other things seen in this video, the Panzerfaust are the Panzerfaust 3 model.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    That could have been his Grandpa's Machine gun.. wild!
    And buried in the barn, waiting for the next time the Russians come. And they always come.
    Related joke:
    -Mihas, are you crazy, why are you pouring oil on your wife’s flowerbed? You will kill the roses!
    -Petro, screw the roses, the machine gun is getting rusty!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    And buried in the barn, waiting for the next time the Russians come. And they always come.
    Related joke:
    -Mihas, are you crazy, why are you pouring oil on your wife’s flowerbed? You will kill the roses!
    -Petro, screw the roses, the machine gun is getting rusty!
    Possible, but unlikely.

Russian Doctrine (which the Ukrainians seem to adhere to as well) is to hold onto any firearm that is remotely modern and still of some use, and fit a caliber you stock.

Ukraine is where most of your 100 buck Mosins came out of. If you noticed the supply dried around the time of the 2014 Ukraine conflict...

And that is why you see the Ukranians keep and issue something like a DP-27/DPM. It uses the 7.62x54R. Something still made and stocked in mass.

We haven't seen a lot of 7.62x39 firearms so far in the Ukraine conflict. (Unlike in the US and the Middle East, where its the most common caliber for former Com Block stuff.) Finding 7.62x39 in former Soviet terrtories is actually rather hard. So it explains why something as old as this would be pulled out, before you see anything like an RPD or RPK-47. Both newer guns but chanbered in the 7.62x39.

That could change. The Czechs and Croatians just sent a bunch of 7.62x39 stuff.
    Making things worse, the Belgians sent some FN-FNC in 5.56, and the Portugese sent some G3 in 7.62x51.

Its only going to get more crazy as things drag, It's going to become a veritable arms Bazaar over there.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    They must like the 5.45x39 better than the 7.62x39. Has 7.62x39 been totally replaced with the 5.45x39 over there?
    So Remington will me making 1 million 5.45x39 rds to send over there? Hope they make extra for Americans that have rifles in 5.45x39.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    They must like the 5.45x39 better than the 7.62x39. Has 7.62x39 been totally replaced with the 5.45x39 over there?
    So Remington will me making 1 million 5.45x39 rds to send over there? Hope they make extra for Americans that have rifles in 5.45x39.

I'm not sure if Russia fields 7.62x39mm anymore. If they do I suspect it's on a very limited basis.

5.45 has been their standard service cartridge for almost 50 years now.

It's still hilarious to me that they haven't phased out 7.62x54r and keep building new machine guns and rifles in it, which require ridiculous engineering endeavors to tolerate the extreme taper and rim. I mean yeah, logistics, but WOW, at some point you have to let go lol.

If you look at cartridges Russia uses, the list is absurdly long and ridiculous. But the dirty little truth they don't want to tell you is they only have a handful of said rifle and cartridge, and it's likely only ever used for photoshoots.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    A few facts

Stingers are used by Air Defense Artillery guys its a separate MOS. So it not like a Joe Smoe grabs one and blasts a plane outta the air.
    We used to see them dudes all the time then the Army decided we didn’t need them anymore. Now the Army is reforming them?

Javelin gunners are a Identified by 2C that means the dude has went to school to shoot it.

The Ukrainian Soldiers looked sloppy way too bunched up and not using formations. IME if we had ran into them in a meeting engagement they would be toast.

D30 Guns are not used for ADA they appear to be set up in a apartment complex. They are set for max range.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm not sure if Russia fields 7.62x39mm anymore. If they do I suspect it's on a very limited basis.

5.45 has been their standard service cartridge for almost 50 years now.

It's still hilarious to me that they haven't phased out 7.62x54r and keep building new machine guns and rifles in it, which require ridiculous engineering endeavors to tolerate the extreme taper and rim. I mean yeah, logistics, but WOW, at some point you have to let go lol.

If you look at cartridges Russia uses, the list is absurdly long and ridiculous. But the dirty little truth they don't want to tell you is they only have a handful of said rifle and cartridge, and it's likely only ever used for photoshoots.
    SKS, for ceremonial duty, and likely no ammo for them.

The big three your going to count on finding at the 5.45x39, 7.62x54R, and the 9x18.

Russia has a lot of odd current calibers. 9x21, 9x19 (yes that 9mm), 5.45×18 (high ranks only), and the 9x39

You may have more luck finding 9x39, then 7.62x39, at least until the Yugo (Croatian), and Czech stuff arrives.

If you want to add it, you can add 12.7×108mm to the big three above

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

RPG-76 training, cheap and dirty. Pretty much like our LAW rockets. One and done. Wont bother the tanks much, but they can give trucks hell and can be used to knock the javelin cages off the tanks.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    In AK and God we trust.
    FMthvRHXoAYaWle

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    SKS, for ceremonial duty, and likely no ammo for them.

The big three your going to count on finding at the 5.45x39, 7.62x54R, and the 9x18.

Russia has a lot of odd current calibers. 9x21, 9x19 (yes that 9mm), 5.45×18 (high ranks only), and the 9x39

You may have more luck finding 9x39, then 7.62x39, at least until the Yugo (Croatian), and Czech stuff arrives.

If you want to add it, you can add 12.7×108mm to the big three above

Russia is also running 12.7x55 in the Ash-12.

Kind of like a subsonic 50 beowulf.

0Lnn4Op.png

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

RPG-76 training, cheap and dirty. Pretty much like our LAW rockets. One and done. Wont bother the tanks much, but they can give trucks hell and can be used to knock the javelin cages off the tanks.

Wouldn't the most effective course be to just disable the tracks on these tanks?

Russian logistics seem next to non-existent, so a vehicle disable is going to be just as effective as a kill.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Wouldn't the most effective course be to just disable the tracks on these tanks?

Russian logistics seem next to non-existent, so a vehicle disable is going to be just as effective as a kill.
    From what I have seen, And I need to find the videos. The old RPGs and stuff are being used to wreck the javelin cages, as well as ignite the reactive armor pieces. While the reactive armor protects the tanks, the secondaries from this armor is hell on anything that happens to be next to the tank.

One video, and I really need to keep the links. They popped the lead tank with an NLAW, all the troops got out of the APCs, and then they popped the second tank with an RPG, and caused extra secondaries..

The RPGs are also damn effective on fuel trucks, and not much mechanized can move without fuel, and it gives the tractor farmers a chance to go out and pick up a working vehicle thats out of fuel.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    From what I have seen, And I need to find the videos. The old RPGs and stuff are being used to wreck the javelin cages, as well as ignite the reactive armor pieces. While the reactive armor protects the tanks, the secondaries from this armor is hell on anything that happens to be next to the tank.

The RPGs are also damn effective on fuel trucks, and not much mechanized can move without fuel, and it gives the tractor farmers a chance to go out and pick up a working vehicle thats out of fuel.

I'm pretty sure RPGs are very effective regardless, unless you're trying to punch the frontal armor.

Didn't we lose a significant amount of abrams to RPGs?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    01D5B14D-79F7-48AF-839A-35AE85A482AA.jpeg

Nope!

If hit in the rear it will work not the sides or front.

The RPG that is much more effective is the RPG 29. It did knock out a M1 it hit a perfect spot.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom