• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I just have to let off a little stem. I stopped at the gun shop just west of Boonville a little while ago, looking for some primers. I stood at the counter while the guy stocked the shelves and talked to himself. I was there about 5 minutes or so nothing. I decided that was long enough,and started to leave. Then he asked me if I needed anything as I was leaving, once before I asked if they had some Varget powder. The dude said that Varget powder didn't shoot very well and they didn't have it. I told the guy that's funny my rifle will shot 1" groups at 200 yards with it. How do places stay open when they do stupid stuff like this. I think I'm done going there, I'll drive a little farther and get what I want and what they think I need!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'm done.

papa6x

papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Well. I wasn't going to say, but you asked. Yes it was, it wasn't busy either. I could have understood if it was.

papa6x

papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    The guy was less than 10 feet from me at the counter. Sorry, I was a little vague the way I wrote that. He was putting ammo behind the counter and I was on the other side of it.

papa6x

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I try to greet customers quickly and tell them if they need something to let me know. I've had a couple respond, "I'll let you know" in a snappy manner. One lady even said, "I'll decide if I need help!" All a person has to do is ask. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I've worked guns at B&Js for 18 months, at both stores, and I can assure you we are glad to give assistance. I know all the sales people at Boonville and they are all hard workers. We try to stay busy between customers. A lot of people like to slowly walk all the isles and see what we have. Maybe the guy noticed you but was giving you some space.

Anyway, how about giving us another try?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I try to greet customers quickly and tell them if they need something to let me know. I've had a couple respond, "I'll let you know" in a snappy manner. One lady even said, "I'll decide if I need help!" All a person has to do is ask. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I've worked guns at B&Js for 18 months, at both stores, and I can assure you we are glad to give assistance. I know all the sales people at Boonville and they are all hard workers. We try to stay busy between customers. A lot of people like to slowly walk all the isles and see what we have. Maybe the guy noticed you but was giving you some space.

Anyway, how about giving us another try?

That gets it pretty good. People are too particular. I think good service is important, but I would rather be left alone than hounded.

There is a gun store I may stop in from time to time just because locally. They are quick to let you know that they will help you if you want (cool). But there is at least one guy that will say "what gun can I sell you today" in a cocky manner. Or lie about certain things... It is off putting for sure. So I will just say, I would rather have to ask for help than be treated this way... But "gun people" especially seem to be the most finicky group of consumers I have ever met. We get our feelings and opinions hurt so easily.

That was my rant I suppose. Can't make everyone happy. People are not easy going enough or too negative or idk what but its not easy.

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    I would not pay the high prices at B&J. I get my primers at Whittakers (last purchase was 34$ per k LRP). The Evansville store for B&J had the same primers for $56 per k.

mbafta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Warrick Co.
    I've noticed the gun prices at B&J are starting to come down a bit to match the competitors. On one gun I was interested in they were actually cheaper than Whittakers. It was the S&W 1911 PC Carry model.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I've noticed the gun prices at B&J are starting to come down a bit to match the competitors. On one gun I was interested in they were actually cheaper than Whittakers. It was the S&W 1911 PC Carry model.
    We can price match, within reason. I've bought "several" guns from Whittakers. I live on the far West side of Evansville. I've calculated that I blow about $20 in gas to get there and back. Instead of driving down once I bought a gun over the phone and gave them my credit card number. The lady said there would be a 3% premium on the card. On a Glock gen 4 23 that cost me almost $20 anyway. Then you have the $20 transfer fee from Jim Spence and the expense of more gas driving to the East side and back. So if I could find a pistol within $45-50 of Whits it's a wash.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    That gets it pretty good. People are too particular. I think good service is important, but I would rather be left alone than hounded.

There is a gun store I may stop in from time to time just because locally. They are quick to let you know that they will help you if you want (cool). But there is at least one guy that will say "what gun can I sell you today" in a cocky manner. Or lie about certain things... It is off putting for sure. So I will just say, I would rather have to ask for help than be treated this way... But "gun people" especially seem to be the most finicky group of consumers I have ever met. We get our feelings and opinions hurt so easily.

That was my rant I suppose. Can't make everyone happy. People are not easy going enough or too negative or idk what but its not easy.
    My normal response when a customer tells me he's okay after I've asked if I can help is, "Sure. I won't bother you but let me know when/if you need to see anything." Several times another clerk has walked up to him just a minute later and asked the same question and the customer has said, "Yeah. Let me see that Ruger." I'm standing there looking like a dumb a** who doesn't wait on customers. It happened one time when my boss was behind the counter and it embarrassed the hell out of me. My feelings about that customer? Don't let the door hit your rear end. You could have said, "I'll ask the first gentleman to show me that Ruger."

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I stopped going to the Boonville B&J's after two trips in, and couldn't find a soul anywhere to help. My wife and I was in there about 20 mins both times, and no one on the floor.

Before I stopped going, I had asked the so called gun smith of the store about him putting on a new sight on my SR9.
    Very long pause, then the reply was "Yeah, I could probably jerry rig something to do that". UH, heck I could do that, and did.

My BIL lives just down the road from the Boonville store, he's had the same experience and stopped going.

Shoplifters delight!

Not had that problem at the west side store.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My normal response when a customer tells me he's okay after I've asked if I can help is, "Sure. I won't bother you but let me know when/if you need to see anything." Several times another clerk has walked up to him just a minute later and asked the same question and the customer has said, "Yeah. Let me see that Ruger." I'm standing there looking like a dumb a** who doesn't wait on customers. It happened one time when my boss was behind the counter and it embarrassed the hell out of me. My feelings about that customer? Don't let the door hit your rear end. You could have said, "I'll ask the first gentleman to show me that Ruger."

That would suck! I am sure he didn't mean anything by it, but sucks it seemed as it did with your boss there. I have been on the receiving end of a few things like that before with a boss.

papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana

What I was getting at was maybe a " Hello" or at least acknowledge I was even in the building.

papa6x

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    What I was getting at was maybe a " Hello" or at least acknowledge I was even in the building.

papa6x
    I know what you mean. There are several things that turn me off about sales clerks, especially at check-out. One is having one on a cell phone when she's taking your money and the worst is the checker griping to someone over her/his shoulder and not even talking to you the whole time they are serving you.

Tell you what. If you're not so turned off that you won't come into either B&Js again I'll text you the next time I'm scheduled to work at the West store. I'm tentatively scheduled from 9-6 on this coming Sunday but it's not for sure yet. If it happens how about coming in to see me and I'll give you super service. Ask for "Mike." Deal?

Top Bottom