• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    This is something I love about this website.

You all may have helped prevent somebody from doing something that could have turned out very bad.

+1 to everybody involved.

It is always smart to follow procedure and be hard nosed about it.

I have worked with a guy for over 10 years. I even went to apprenticeship school with him before that. He knew I was selling a S&W model 10-4 and offered to buy it. I asked to see his LTCH and his driver's license and he was like.....dude we've known each other for years. I said ya, I know.....I'm just a stickler for procedure. Well, come to find out, he lives just over the state line in Michigan.....I never knew.

He was uaware of Michigan law which states that he was required to get a permit to purchase, which he did. We went through a FFL and he now owns a great old revolver.

You just never know what can happen if you don't stick to strict procedures, many of which I wouldn't have known if I wasn't prompted to study law through comments made here on INGO

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    This is something I love about this website.

You all may have helped prevent somebody from doing something that could have turned out very bad.

+1 to everybody involved.

It is always smart to follow procedure and be hard nosed about it.

I have worked with a guy for over 10 years. I even went to apprenticeship school with him before that. He knew I was selling a S&W model 10-4 and offered to buy it. I asked to see his LTCH and his driver's license and he was like.....dude we've known each other for years. I said ya, I know.....I'm just a stickler for procedure. Well, come to find out, he lives just over the state line in Michigan.....I never knew.

He was uaware of Michigan law which states that he was required to get a permit to purchase, which he did. We went through a FFL and he now owns a great old revolver.

You just never know what can happen if you don't stick to strict procedures, many of which I wouldn't have known if I wasn't prompted to study law through comments made here on INGO
    So, if you honestly didnt know he lived in Mich., and sold him the gun. would that still have been illegal?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I will take this a step further back. The BATF is in the business of generating convictions, not the business of identifying what we would consider actual criminals. Whether you do something of your own volition that is illegal that they manage to discover or they manufacture the illegal activity and con you into signing on is not a major concern to them so long as they can put someone, anyone, in the klink. This guy may have legit intentions playing out not quite according to the letter of the law or you may well have a fed on the other end of the line. The problem is that there is only one way to find out which all things being equal gives you even odds, and you find out only after you do it and either nothing happens within a year or so, or else you end up in cuffs by the time the deal is completed. This conforms to my standard advice covering a lot of issues: If in doubt, don't. In a case like this, definitely don't. I would speculate that Randy Weaver would agree with the prevailing sentiment shared throughout this thread!

Top Bottom