• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Well written. It amazes me how ignorant some are of the true cause of these horrible occurances, and how quickly they justify the erosion of our rights. I actually had a guy tell me last week that it is OK to ban assault weapons because they wont stop a country from bombing us.....:dunno:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Voire dire question: how do we know that she did not "keep them locked up" and the murderer simply broke into the locker/safe/closet/etc.?:dunno:

Not being a jerk, just asking.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Not disagreeing with anything in the article, Bob, just asking.

I mean there is a TREMENDOUS amount of misinformation regarding this matter (and most of it is already posted on INGO). So how do we know that the murderer's mother did not lock them up???

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Who among us does not have huge blind spots reference our children? I've had mothers who sat in on in interview where a teenager admits to armed robbery or to setting a friend up to be beaten and robbed, and they universally say he's not a bad kid and then make an excuse. He hangs out with the wrong people, he's going through a phase, etc.

Its very tough for many folks to take a step back and be impartial when it comes to their children and their children's propensity for violence, even adult children. Its not a failing of safe gun handling so much as a failure to foresee the future (a common flaw) and possibly ignoring warning signs.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Not disagreeing with anything in the article, Bob, just asking.

I mean there is a TREMENDOUS amount of misinformation regarding this matter (and most of it is already posted on INGO). So how do we know that the murderer's mother did not lock them up???

We do know they were not locked up good enough. Excellent article.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What is "good enough"? 100% chance of never being accessed by an unauthorized person? How do you do that?

I don't know what steps she may have taken, but I am uncomfortable setting the "standard of care" at 100% success.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    What is "good enough"? 100% chance of never being accessed by an unauthorized person? How do you do that?

I don't know what steps she may have taken, but I am uncomfortable setting the "standard of care" at 100% success.

Land mines. Plus you are correct, we do not know what steps if any she had taken. We only know the result.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We do know they were not locked up good enough. Excellent article.

Given enough time and resources, no container cannot be breached.

I believe we need to answer the threshold question of how did the mother have the weapons stored before we run around and present this as some sort of answer.

What if Nancy Lanza had here firearms in a safe?

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Given enough time and resources, no container cannot be breached.

I believe we need to answer the threshold question of how did the mother have the weapons stored before we run around and present this as some sort of answer.

What if Nancy Lanza had here firearms in a safe?

If the dog hadn't stopped to
    sign0187.gif
    he would have caught the rabbit. What ever she did it was not enough, the results show that. My thoughts are, that if you have a disturbed child like she did, no guns should be in the house.:twocents:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I remember reading along with all the other misinformation that she had the guns in a locked box(safe?) because she was worried about her son getting them. She was not dealing with a child but a very smart (by all reports) young man. He had figured out how to get to the guns over a peroid of time.
    Again this is just what I recall reading, like most of the other facts in this tragedy it seems to change daily.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I think this entire article stems from the myth that firearms should be locked up. Firearms that are locked up are useless for self defense. The NRA classes I've taken suggested that firearms should always be 1) unloaded and 2) separate from their ammunition except on the firing line at a range. This views the firearm as merely a piece of sporting equipment and not a tool of self defense.

One could argue that she perhaps should have had the other ones locked up besides the ones she kept for self-defense, but the fact that an unauthorized person got access to the guns, as many have pointed out, is not conclusive evidence that she didn't take sufficient precaution to prevent unauthorized use.

I think it would be a real tragedy if we convinced the antis that firearms should be locked up and allowed them to think that if they are used by unauthorized persons, that one of the "main tenets" of gun safety was violated. That is simply not the case. It is not practical to require that all firearms be locked up all of the time, and a law that required that would not be constitutional.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    My thoughts are, that if you have a disturbed child like she did, no guns should be in the house.:twocents:

While I understand what you are saying and somewhat agree.
    Because she had a disturbed ADULT in the house she doesn't have the same rights to defend herself from him or anyone else as you or me? We should be careful saying that certain people should or should not have guns because WHO gets to make the determination that a person should or should not?
    It is easy to look back and say what should have been done but not so easy to say before it happens.
    :twocents:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My thoughts are, that if you have a disturbed child like she did, no guns should be in the house.:twocents:
    Ever the skeptic, are we sure he was "disturbed"? And, what is the line where a family member is "too disturbed" to deprive the non-'disturbed' family members of their 2A right?

I have a close family member who has received counseling for depression. Is that a disqualifier for that person? What about if that person lives with me?

I'm sorry, but it seems to me that the idea of disarming someone because of a family member is another door through which more and more people can be disarmed.

Plus, keep in mind that some gov'ts in the past have labeled disagreement with the authorities as a kind of mental illness.

Just sayin. :): :patriot:

Top Bottom