• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adcecil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    My collection has finally grown to the point where a gun safe is starting to be a necessity. I have been doing some initial window shopping & researching. I think that I will be settling on a something from a "box store". I don't personally feel my collection will be valuable enough to warrant the high cost of a top of the line safes. I really like the idea of a key pad, but I also understand some of the inherent issues. I do really feel the convenience of the key pad far out weighs any of those issues. What happens if said key pad fails? Do people typically store ammo in their safes?I am looking for any recommendations or advice on brand, lock type and size.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    I have a Canon safe I got at tractor supply. Not a Johnson safe, but it was in my budget and suits my needs. Unfortunately between my guns and my wife's jewelry there's no room for my ammo cans. I'm currently looking for a safe for those. My advice is buy the next biggest that you think you need

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2016
    danville
    Just my 2 cents. I recently won a gift card to a "box store" and was shopping for a safe. Not the best prices, but it was free money for me. I ended up getting a Liberty Centurion 24 with electronic keypad. I love it. Easy to configure to what suits you. I put long guns on the right and put shelves on the left. I do store some ammo on the shelves. I also recommend buying some handgun wire hangers. They really free up space. I think for the price which was about $600, the Liberty is a good safe. Just my opinion

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Try using the search feature. This has been asked and answered repeatedly, and it won't take long at all to figure it out.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I was in TSC yesterday and noticed they have 12 months same as cash for purchases over $500. They had several safes in stock and on sale.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I have a Browning gun safe I got at Galyans in Plainfield way back in the day. It has the fire liner and all that. Great safe, but was very pricey, and it`s the smallest safe they make, rated for "up to" 24 long guns I think. Things to know: buy a bigger safe than you think you "need". You`ll likely have scopes on a lot of, if not all your long arms, and they take more space in the safe. I would plan on getting a Golden Rod for your safe as well, this is just a dehumidifying device that will help protect your guns from moisture. Consider where you`ll place your safe now, not when the safe is on the dolly and you`re suffering from a sprained back from trying to move it. Consider whether the floor is structurally sound for an 800-1200 pound gun safe, plus all it`s contents. Are you going to secure the safe to the wall, or just let it sit on the floor against a wall? You`ll find that if you store anything too heavy on the safe shelves, they`ll over time bow. They`re not very sturdy, and aren`t intended to store heavy weight. If you manage to get all your guns, and all your ammo into a single safe, either you don`t have much of either, or, you got a safe the size of a second bedroom.
    In my humble opinion, having a gun safe has nothing to do with how many guns you have, or their quality, it has to do with safety, with keeping your weapons out of irresponsible hands.
    Good luck on your search for a safe.

adcecil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Try using the search feature. This has been asked and answered repeatedly, and it won't take long at all to figure it out.

Believe me I searched & yes I read a few posts. I didn't think it would be an issue asking these questions.
    thanks for your feedback.

adcecil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I am in process of trying to figure out how big I should go.
    Of course I am having this conversation in my head "welp this one is probably big enough & it is $600, but that one is a bit bigger and it is only $700, but hell this one is even bigger and it is $800, gee if I am going to spend $800 I should jump up to $1000 and get this guy".

adcecil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I have seen the Liberty Centurion & like the price point. thanks for the advice.
    I figured that I would be spending extra on organizing items like door kits and racks.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Believe me I searched & yes I read a few posts. I didn't think it would be an issue asking these questions.
    thanks for your feedback.
    It's not really an issue, but you're just asking the same question that's been asked over and over.

Buy it twice as big as you think you need. Get one with a mechanical lock.

If you're already set on buying one from a 'box store' as you mention, they're all about the same. These boxes are competitors of each other and the price points/features are going to mirror each other.

Fire rating & thickness/strength will be dependent on the expected response time to an emergency.

Quality, Price, Availability <-- Pick any 2

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you are really wanting protection, you have to ask yourself, "Do I want to FEEL safe, or do I want to BE safe?"

If all you want is to FEEL safe, buy anything ya'll want and it will probably protect you from a smash and grab attack.

If on the other hand you want to BE safe, make certain the safe has been tested and rated by Underwriters Laboratories. They have no interest in what you buy or don't buy, so their rating is completely unbiased.

Remember that you are far more likely to suffer a loss due to fire than to robbery, so make certain the safe is well rated for fire. If you live out in the stix you will want a higher fire rating as the fire department will take longer to arrive. Also remember that the temperature in the safe during a fire can easily reach 350 degrees, so don't put anything that could melt and drip over the firearms. Also, store the firearms UNLOADED! If one were to go off in the heat it could breach the safe and ruin the integrity of the safe protection.

I did a lot of research before I bought my safe, and if you do the same you will find out just how little protection you have if you don't spend real money. I'm sorry to say that it costs REAL money to buy REAL protection! (Caveat: this is for new purchases. If you find a guy who is wanting to upgrade his safe you may find a good deal, but do you research!)

Also I would advise to ignore all the marketing material. It is nice but it is also designed to sell the product, not necessarily tell the truth. That is why I strongly urge anyone buying a safe to make absolutely certain that it is UA tested and approved.

Finally, remember that the best security is layered security. Have thorny bushes around the windows, a home alarm, a large dog, a child that bites, a mean spouse, and then a gun safe. There is more but you get the idea.

Good Luck.

Regards and Merry Christmas,

Doug

JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    I've been looking at safes too and doing some research too. I've came to the conclusion that I would prefer a mechanical lock, the cheap electronic ones seem to have problems over time. The typical box store safes in the $300-500 range aren't too secure but would keep your fire arms away from children and maybe an amateur smash and grab thief. You normally have to spend a little more to get something that is of decent quality(door that can't be pried open easily and has a combination lock). I haven't made a decision yet but I have concluded that if I make the effort to move something that weighs several hundred pounds, I want it to be high quality and last. I've been looking at the lower level Liberty Safes, good combination of quality and features that I'm looking for.

adcecil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    If you are really wanting protection, you have to ask yourself, "Do I want to FEEL safe, or do I want to BE safe?"

If all you want is to FEEL safe, buy anything ya'll want and it will probably protect you from a smash and grab attack.

If on the other hand you want to BE safe, make certain the safe has been tested and rated by Underwriters Laboratories. They have no interest in what you buy or don't buy, so their rating is completely unbiased.

Remember that you are far more likely to suffer a loss due to fire than to robbery, so make certain the safe is well rated for fire. If you live out in the stix you will want a higher fire rating as the fire department will take longer to arrive. Also remember that the temperature in the safe during a fire can easily reach 350 degrees, so don't put anything that could melt and drip over the firearms. Also, store the firearms UNLOADED! If one were to go off in the heat it could breach the safe and ruin the integrity of the safe protection.

I did a lot of research before I bought my safe, and if you do the same you will find out just how little protection you have if you don't spend real money. I'm sorry to say that it costs REAL money to buy REAL protection! (Caveat: this is for new purchases. If you find a guy who is wanting to upgrade his safe you may find a good deal, but do you research!)

Also I would advise to ignore all the marketing material. It is nice but it is also designed to sell the product, not necessarily tell the truth. That is why I strongly urge anyone buying a safe to make absolutely certain that it is UA tested and approved.

Finally, remember that the best security is layered security. Have thorny bushes around the windows, a home alarm, a large dog, a child that bites, a mean spouse, and then a gun safe. There is more but you get the idea.

Good Luck.

Regards and Merry Christmas,

Doug

I have layers of security..... A large mean wife that bites with a thorny bush LMAO!!!!!!!

But seriously well put "be safe vs. feel safe." I am more or less looking to protect against a smash n grab than against a safe cracker. If a professional wants in they will get in, it is just a matter of slowing them down. I never thought about fire being the #1 thing to defend against.
    Thanks for the reply

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would sell some guns and keep saving for a better quality safe. Anything is better than nothing I guess. Don't get the key pad.

After purchasing a large safe myself I regret it. If I could do it all over would purchase several smaller safes and hide them around the house. The big one is extremely hard to move and resides in the front room. Every contractor that comes over first question is "what's in the box".

Top Bottom