• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    Dillsboro
    While looking again today at safes, and again seeing that what I want I can't afford.... there seems to be two categories - the Stack On, Red Head, etc. that just look/feel cheaply made to me, and the Browning, Johnson, etc. that are what I think a safe should be. I got to wondering about fabricating my own. I have access to a suberb fab and machine shop but don't know if number one, it would save much money and number 2 where to get the bolts, locks, etc.?? It would be nice to be able to configure it exactly how I want.

I wouldn't try to make it fire safe, only 4 y/o safe and semi-burgler safe. What do you guys think? Waste of time or worth pursuing? It's going in the basement so asthetics are minimally imporant.

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Just buy one, I don't think you can save much by buildin your own. Buy bigger than you need.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I built my own, but it's an unfair example.

I worked at Schwab safe before they closed(in Lafayette). I got the chance to build a door for a box that had been built out of specs. It took some time (coffee/lunch breaks for the better part of two weeks), but it was fun, and I got a GREAT safe for FREE!

They are still in Cannellton,In.(sp?) You might check with them. They used to sell just "vault doors"?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I built my own, but it's an unfair example.

I worked at Schwab safe before they closed(in Lafayette). I got the chance to build a door for a box that had been built out of specs. It took some time (coffee/lunch breaks for the better part of two weeks), but it was fun, and I got a GREAT safe for FREE!

They are still in Cannellton,In.(sp?) You might check with them. They used to sell just "vault doors"?
    Hmmm... a quick google search shows they're now a subsidiary of Sentry Safe, and the contact info is for Rochester, NY. But that doesn't mean they aren't made in Cannellton. I bet you'll have a hard time contacting them trying to get parts etc. Larger companies are harder to deal with when it comes to that.

To the OP, if you find anything out, let me know, I've often thought about making my own safe as well but the lock parts have always been a challenge that I have yet to tackle.

customizef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Buy one. I have a more expensive Stack on safe with a burn time I believe of 6 hours at 1400 degrees. Its a 26-30 gun safe ( somewhere in that range ) on sale at Dunhams Sports for around $450-550 at Christmas about two-three years ago. I am sure they have something like that still in that price range roughly. Unless you enjoy building things, I can probably say your not going to build one cheaper then that , and be fireproof.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I traded a firearm for my safe..... had to drive a few hours and move it myself (actually me and my teenager). You may watch the EE on the various sites, many people get larger safes and sell/ trade the smaller ones.

Mine is a Remington brand, 26-30 long gun and its packed full.... I also place rifles muzzle up/ down to fit more. Remember, ARs, scopes, M1 & M1As take up more space due to the op-rods and side saddled shotties take up more space too.

Definately buy larger than needed, like double!!!

Jaybird

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    Greensboro, NC
    The nicest safes I have ever seen are Fort Knox brand. Don't get the Maverick. All the levels above that are great safes such as the defender, protector & guardian.

Then there is Liberty Safe. They are not the best money can but or anything, but they are a good value for the money. The Colonial and Franklin are priced right.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    There are quite a few safe brands out there but you are right on in that they are not created equal. I personally have no faith in electronic locks. The battery will certainly go dead some day and if you forget to change it, a lock smith will have to crack it for you...
    The major differences are the fire resistance, number and size of locking bolts and door and wall thickness. Any safe is better than none, but most of them out there can be "peeled" by a crook with a little time.
    No safe is secure from a knowing thief. Most can be "cracked" in about 20 minutes or less if you know how. "I will never divulge the how!" They do keep your average druggie from your guns, though...
    Do not buy one with walls less than 3/16 inches thick and a door of at least 5/8 steel....Greenlee locks are very good....Good luck!!!John

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Make sure your door is not a laminated door. This is code for cheap and easy to smash a sledge hammer into. Make sure the door is at least a 1/4" or even better 3/8" plate steel.

Just get a Johnson made especially for you.:)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    There are quite a few safe brands out there but you are right on in that they are not created equal. I personally have no faith in electronic locks. The battery will certainly go dead some day and if you forget to change it, a lock smith will have to crack it for you...
    The major differences are the fire resistance, number and size of locking bolts and door and wall thickness. Any safe is better than none, but most of them out there can be "peeled" by a crook with a little time.
    No safe is secure from a knowing thief. Most can be "cracked" in about 20 minutes or less if you know how. "I will never divulge the how!" They do keep your average druggie from your guns, though...
    Do not buy one with walls less than 3/16 inches thick and a door of at least 5/8 steel....Greenlee locks are very good....Good luck!!!John

My Cannon safe has an external power port, and came with a "power-pack". If your battery goes dead, load fresh batteries into the "power-pack", plug in to the safe, and carry on as usual.

As long as you hold onto your external power source you're good to go.

This is where not one, not two, but three dogs come into play. You may get one, you may get lucky and get two, but I seriously doubt you'd get all three, at least not before you get chewed in half.

I know how too, at least on some models, but that comes natural since I used to build them. I won't tell either. You really think I want ANYBODY else to know how?

Sargent and Greenleaf ;)

Top Bottom