• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ag563

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Delphi, Indiana
    Hi, I had a program called Gun Safe on my computer, but my hard drive went bad & I lost the program, and its been taken off the web due to its age. But I like the program & it was free. Does anyone have a copy they can email me ? Thanks AL, ag563@yahoo.com :ingo:

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    A simple Excel or other similar program will work well. And you can add your own categories of info that is important to you.

slottech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    N.W. IN
    I've used Excel since day 1 for my firearms inventory. I have used it for other things as well. My entire tool collection is on a spreadsheet. Several thousand dollars worth over the years. The headings for firearms includes:
    Date purchased
    Manufacturer
    Model name
    Model number
    Serial number
    Color / Finish
    Material
    Caliber
    New / Used
    Where purchased
    Purchase price

You can even embed pictures or links to other files into Excel spreadsheets.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I've used Excel since day 1 for my firearms inventory. I have used it for other things as well. My entire tool collection is on a spreadsheet. Several thousand dollars worth over the years. The headings for firearms includes:
    Date purchased
    Manufacturer
    Model name
    Model number
    Serial number
    Color / Finish
    Material
    Caliber
    New / Used
    Where purchased
    Purchase price

My only concern with an inventory is that it creates a shopping list for anyone who wants to take your guns. And it can happen without any "black helicopter" scenarios. If the police for any reason have a legal reason to want your guns and you have them all nice and tidy... goodbye every gun you own.

Not saying to not have a list... but perhaps password protect it so that you can still access it but no one else can... maybe leave a gun or two.. or three off from the list (just in case.)

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Date purchased
    Manufacturer
    Model name
    Model number
    Serial number
    Color / Finish
    Material
    Caliber
    New / Used
    Where purchased
    Purchase price

My list is pretty close, plus I have entries for modifications and total round count. Finally, there is the shooting section: date, location, rounds, ammo, comments. The total round count is automatically updated from this last table.

Not saying to not have a list... but perhaps password protect it so that you can still access it but no one else can... maybe leave a gun or two.. or three off from the list (just in case.)

MS Office 2007+ allows you to encrypt using AES. Not sure about Open/Libre office.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Date purchased
    Manufacturer
    Model name
    Model number
    Serial number
    Color / Finish
    Material
    Caliber
    New / Used
    Where purchased
    Purchase price

Wow, thats pretty close to mine, I just have "Type, Tax Stamp # (quite a few NFA toys on my list), Date of last shooting, date of last cleaning" fields as well.

gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    My excel spreadsheet also includes where it was manufactured, my Brownings and SIG are manufactured in different countries. I also include magazine capacity of the semi autos, grip type and barrel length.

I like the idea of keeping round counts and cleaning dates.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I use an excel spread sheet also. I keep a copy on my phone encrypted so it is always with me. If I have questions about what I have it's on my list.

If they are stolen I have the info for the police and the insurance company. I am working on getting a photo of each to have also.

my headings are:
    Manufacturer (Springfield for example)
    Model (XD40 service for example)
    Action (semi auto, bolt action, etc.)
    Rifle (if it's a rifle it gets an "X")
    Shotgun (if it's a shotgun it gets an "X")
    Handgun (if it's a handgun it gets an "X")
    Caliber (40 S&W for example)
    Finish (stainless for example)
    Serial Number
    Scope (if it has a scope the model and power is listed)
    Notes (miscellaneous comments)

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    My excel spreadsheet also includes where it was manufactured, my Brownings and SIG are manufactured in different countries. I also include magazine capacity of the semi autos, grip type and barrel length.

I like the idea of keeping round counts and cleaning dates.

Whats nice about the cleaning date on mine is I have a conditional format applied to the cell, so its over a day since the day I went shooting with it, it triggers a color change to bright red. This serves as a "HEY DUMMY, CLEAN THIS GUN" flag to me.

gunrights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2008
    South Bend
    I've used a variety of different software for keeping track of my firearms over the years. Anything from just a standard spreadsheet to specialized software. Now I just use Evernote. Because they have software for your smart phone and for the desktop I just take pictures of the firearms and serial numbers and I still have a receipt take a picture of that. Now whether I am looking on my desktop or on my phone I can tell you everything I have. Check out Remember Everything | Evernote Corporation

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Date purchased
    Manufacturer
    Model name
    Model number
    Serial number
    Color / Finish
    Material
    Caliber
    New / Used
    Where purchased
    Purchase price

The only thing missing is "date lost in Boating accident"

Top Bottom