• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I frequently ride my motorcycle to work. We are not allowed to carry at work. I am curious if the law allows me to carry while riding to work and then remove gun and holster in parking lot and store/lock in motorcycle?

Obviously, I am not a lawyer, but not sure the law allows for handling outside of it's locked storage. I don't wish to be a test case so I generally ride unarmed to and from work. Locked in the bike would be useless if I ever needed it.

Opinions or actual legal advice welcomed.

Thanks, Matt

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Can't handle it on employers property if they prohibit "guns at work" law states the firearm be "Out of sight. A friend lost his job because part of the grip on his handgun could be seen in his parked car.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Wouldn't you be concerned someone may see you do this and follow you?

That would be a concern, you would have to be very careful to not let the gun be seen when moving it but it can be done, I used to ride to work and had to do it a few times, situational awareness is very important when doing this

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Can't handle it on employers property if they prohibit "guns at work" law states the firearm be "Out of sight. A friend lost his job because part of the grip on his handgun could be seen in his parked car.

Do you have more info on this law? If I'm a business owner and prohibit guns at work .. What law is someone breaking by carrying?

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Do you have more info on this law? If I'm a business owner and prohibit guns at work .. What law is someone breaking by carrying?
    They wouldn't be breaking a law, but would be violating company policy and be terminated for it. But the employer can not ban legally possessed firearms from being locked in an employee vehicle, even on company property.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I frequently ride my motorcycle to work. We are not allowed to carry at work. I am curious if the law allows me to carry while riding to work and then remove gun and holster in parking lot and store/lock in motorcycle?

Your comments indicate it is a good job that you don't want to lose. I assume you are a good employee that they want to keep.

Have you considered talking to your employer to work out an accommodation? Something along the lines of a location inside the building where you could secure your firearm immediately upon arrival and it is kept locked until your departure at the end of the day. For instance a small gun safe only you have the key to but would not be at your workstation. Don't just walk into HR and talk to the first person with their name on their door. You will need to find the right person in the company to talk to initially, someone who won't panic at the mention of the word "gun", that will be a champion for you as approval is obtained. The actual person you need to get permission from may be different but an initial conversation with someone else first might help the process.

Before doing this think about how afraid they are of guns as just asking the question put you under closer scrutiny as you come and go.

Last edited:

Overwatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2014
    Putnam County
    <snip>... Locked in the bike would be useless if I ever needed it.

This is very far from the truth. Your gun is more valuable with you, even if the best you can do with it is lock it in the saddle bags, than stashed at home. While not ideal, it is far better armed having it than leaving it at home. Many/most use-of-force altercations are not 'quick-draw' contests.

Rules for surviving trouble:
    1. See trouble before trouble sees you. (pay attention)
    2. If you see trouble, avoid it. (choose another route)
    3. If you are in the middle of trouble, drive away. (your wheels and your phone are more useful than your gun)
    4. If you are in trapped in trouble, arm yourself. (trouble doesn't expect trouble. Paying attention and getting to your gun while it is unfolding is usually enough)
    5. If you know there will be trouble, don't go. (Seems self-explanatory, but you'd be surprised...)

None of us know what scenarios we might find ourselves in. If, out of all scenarios, you need a quick-draw and your gun is locked-up, I guess you lose. But in most scenarios, having the firearm with you is better than not having the firearm with you. You win by being prepared, not by wearing the gun. Take your gun to work in your lock-box.

Last edited:

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    This is very far from the truth. Your gun is more valuable with you, even if the best you can do with it is lock it in the saddle bags, than stashed at home. While not ideal, it is far better armed having it than leaving it at home. Many/most use-of-force altercations are not 'quick-draw' contests.

Rules for surviving trouble:
    1. See trouble before trouble sees you. (pay attention)
    2. If you see trouble, avoid it. (choose another route)
    3. If you are in the middle of trouble, drive away. (your wheels and your phone are more useful than your gun)
    4. If you are in trapped in trouble, arm yourself. (trouble doesn't expect trouble. Paying attention and getting to your gun while it is unfolding is usually enough)
    5. If you know there will be trouble, don't go. (Seems self-explanatory, but you'd be surprised...)

None of us know what scenarios we might find ourselves in. If, out of all scenarios, you need a quick-draw and your gun is locked-up, I guess you lose. But in most scenarios, having the firearm with you is better than not having the firearm with you. You win by being prepared, not by wearing the gun. Take your gun to work in your lock-box.

I agree, it would be better to at least have it in the saddlebag. Since I have decided to not risk handling one in the parking lot, I have been thinking about what to get to stash in the saddlebag. Nothing like looking for a new gun!

Matt

ductape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    I can take it to work, park on the street and stash it in the truck when I go in. However, if I have to go to another location (while on the clock) and have to park on their property ie: parking lot, I could get fired on the spot, IF caught. Although I don't like it at all, I can't lose my job over it. The feds just don't understand.

Top Bottom