• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    IDPA or "carry gun" type matches are the way to go for introduction into competitive shooting. Staging, scoring, procedures, etc all across competition are an extrapolation of what you learn from a basic walk-on carry gun match. It's quite easy, just read ahead of time and ask to be put down in the order so you can watch others first.

dan1856

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2017
    Fishers
    IMO Steel Challenge is the perfect way to start. You can shoot almost any gun including 22lr rifles and handguns. Several clubs in Indiana hold Steel Challenge matches. You don't have to buy a ton of equipment to compete. No shooting on the move. There is movement in 2 stages but you shoot from boxes. No reloading on the clock unless you miss a lot. I have been to a lot of matches and everyone is willing to help new shooters.
    Learn more: https://scsa.org/

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    IDPA or "carry gun" type matches are the way to go for introduction into competitive shooting. Staging, scoring, procedures, etc all across competition are an extrapolation of what you learn from a basic walk-on carry gun match. It's quite easy, just read ahead of time and ask to be put down in the order so you can watch others first.
    I don’t think idpa is a good start for competition, have you ever read the rule book for idpa?, if you start throwing penalties at people for every little thing, you’ll turn them off on competition.

Steel Challenge would be a lot better to start with and graduate to idpa or USPSA after you understand competition.

Steel challenge, stand here and shoot those 5 targets as fast as you can.

Idpa, your first mag holds 9 (or11or 16)you have to reload before you present yourself to an unengaged target,(but don’t leave a bullet in the magazine in the ground unless you stow it on your person) slice the pie, make sure you cover garment conceals your gun with your arms extended straight out to your side, should I go on?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I don’t think idpa is a good start for competition, have you ever read the rule book for idpa?, if you start throwing penalties at people for every little thing, you’ll turn them off on competition.

Steel Challenge would be a lot better to start with and graduate to idpa or USPSA after you understand competition.

Idpa, your first mag holds 9 (or11or 16)you have to reload before you present yourself to an unengaged target,(but don’t leave a bullet in the magazine in the ground unless you stow it on your person) slice the pie, make sure you cover garment conceals your gun with your arms extended straight out to your side, should I go on?
    Counterpoint:

ISPA trains you in scoring, pasting, match order and procedures, and gives very good feedback on your hits. It can also be run with .22lr as long as you have the holster and mags.

I've never attended one which wouldn't allow you to run not-for-score, especially the outlaw carry gun type matches. Stages are long enough to be fun, not as silly long as USPSA, and aren't pure speed drag races. I think anyone who has figured out how to hit a B5 at 10 yards most of the time can pick up IDPA very quickly, and be interested enough to come back.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I'm at the Chief Wa-ke-di range just east of Bristol right now. Shooting a cowboy action match in the morning, spending Saturday night here, then shooting Hidden Valley up by Sturgis on Sunday. Most friendly, helpful folks I've ever met.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

It can be a good #2 behind Steel Challenge. Go shoot the steel to get comfy working on the clock. HHRP is a great laid back group. I suspect Proteq is as well.

Then move to a GOOD IDPA club with a GOOD set of ROs and shoot a non sanctioned match. Atlanta is great. If you show up and let them know its your first match, they will take you under their wings and help. A LOT. As long as they dont do a DQ worthy event like break the 180 or drop the gun, they will be gently coached for their error. Heck, at one match we had a noob and he was doing just OK. He goofed in a non critical, safe way. (dont recall the issue. Squib maybe?) Anyway half the squad called for him to re-shoot even though he technically wasnt allowed. Everybody knew it was his first, and nobody was threatened by his scores. It wasnt hurting any of us to let him re-shoot. We saw his confidence go way up after that.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    IMO Steel Challenge is the perfect way to start. You can shoot almost any gun including 22lr rifles and handguns. Several clubs in Indiana hold Steel Challenge matches. You don't have to buy a ton of equipment to compete. No shooting on the move. There is movement in 2 stages but you shoot from boxes. No reloading on the clock unless you miss a lot. I have been to a lot of matches and everyone is willing to help new shooters.
    Learn more: https://scsa.org/
    THIS. I always tell shooters new to competition to try Steel Challenge first. Dan has covered the reasons quite well and shootersix also makes the case for SC. One of the biggest issues new shooters have in Steel Challenge is they try to shoot too fast and end up missing quite a bit. Get a good sight picture and then shoot. Lots of misses will discourage the shooter; they won't enjoy the match and they are less likely to return.

Top Bottom