• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Follow the Shooting Sports section of this forum. It depends what kind of shooting you're interested in.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    You can hit Atlanta Conservarion club this weekend. Watch, ask questions, volunteer to help out where you can and folks will be glad to help you out.

Marion County Fish and Game has a variety as well. Friday night steel or bowling pin shooting is thought by some to be a good way to get used to competition.

there are other folks around who can help as well I would bet.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Since you are in Lebanon, check out IDPA matches. Its a good way to get into shooting sports. Very (mostly) clear rules, and easy to start with.

Atlanta conservation club (north of Noblesville) on the first saturday of the month, or Wildcat Valley (NE of Lafayette in Brookston) on the 2nd saturday.
    Both IDPA and USPSA shooters are VERY friendly and accepting and will happily show you the ropes.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Wildcat Valley in Brookston has USPSA tomorrow, 8/5 and Rimfire Falling Steel on Sunday 8/6.

RFS is a .22lr only version of a USPSA type match using falling steel targets. No holster required, start from low ready.

Check the websites of any ranges near you and see what they offer.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Exactly what the gents above stated: show up at an event, observe at a safe distance, LISTEN carefully the order of commands given to the shooters, and especially listen to any safety corrections that are given. Ask questions to other shooters while they are observing. You can learn a great deal about how a club runs the competitions as well. And best of all, there is no pressure on you.

One thing to note: Many ranges are COLD (do not arrive with a loaded weapon...not even your EDC) while competitions are in process. I know we are at ACC.
    You might want to read the club rules/notes about competitions and expectations on the club sites.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    @scott46052

For an indoor option, Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield has an Action Pistol match the first and third Thursday of the month. New shooter brief at 6PM. You're welcome to come and observe before you shoot.

It is intended to be a new shooter friendly match.

For you it would be straight across Indiana SR32.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    My advice is don’t watch, go and shoot, I’ve heard people say “I wish I would have brought a gun and shot!”…but I’ve yet to hear anyone say “I’m glad I didn’t bring a gun and shoot!”

Another thing Ive heard, “I want to practice and get better before I shoot a competition”…and then I never see them again!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Be sure to take and wear eye and ear protection.

Also, most competitions are on a cold range. Be mindful of that with your carry gear.

There is a lot to be learned before and after the matches. If you can get there for setup and stay for tare down, you get the most out of your time invested in learning the ropes.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My advice is don’t watch, go and shoot, I’ve heard people say “I wish I would have brought a gun and shot!”…but I’ve yet to hear anyone say “I’m glad I didn’t bring a gun and shoot!”

Another thing Ive heard, “I want to practice and get better before I shoot a competition”…and then I never see them again!
    Exactly.

Take your gear. The people there will gladly help you through it.
    Leave your ego and home and soak it up

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Where does one start out in competitions ,to watch and just check it out to see what it like
    around Central Indiana
    Not sure which competition you're looking to get into, but Steel Challenge is fun and the easiest way to get familiar with the rules and commands.
    What are you wanting to shoot Rifle or Pistol and what caliber?
    A .22, 5 mags, ammo, chamber flag, case/rug. Eye/ear protection and you're ready to go for steel challenge.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

Fwrrclub.org

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    This. Unfortunately.
    Or, "I'm building up a gun" to shoot competition. Then you see it for sale in the classifieds. After emptying their gun funds, people figure out the Staccato or single-action P226 they just stretched themselves to afford, isn't even legal to shoot most of the equipment divisions...and up for sale it goes.

I hate to say it, but although the Springfield and Garand made us into a nation of riflemen...the AR-15 wiped out that progress. The AR-15 turned us from a nation of shooters into a nation of "builders" who never make it to a match. Everybody's admiring each other's hot rods, but nobody can drive.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    This. Unfortunately.
    I have heard so many people say "I can't " for what ever reason it isn't even funny.....I shoot a NRA 80 across the course every Thursday afternoon. I shoot a couple other national match courses during the month......and I shoot with a bunch of distinguished & P100 winners. Seems a little intimidating at first, but soon your shooting on their level. Yes I still shoot near the bottom of the leader board at our club( and Lima & X & X ) but this is because everyone there is that good......you find yourself in very good company....you will learn a lot!

Show up, admit your a newbie, practice, practice & practice

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Something I try to tell people that watch utube videos of what sport they are thinking about shooting is most of the people that make the videos are real good shooters.I think some people wanting to get into shooting sports are discouraged by watching videos. They don't realize there are a whole lot of people that are decent shooters that go out and have a great time without getting too close to the top of the chart.
    I have also heard people talking about practicing till they get good enough to come shoot and never show up. Too bad because they never find out that as long as they can shoot safely and have a decent attitude they will be fine. They also miss out on the really good friends they will never meet. I have many good friends I shoot with that live far enough away that is about the only time I see them, in fact friendships are a big reason I enjoy the shooting sports. Jim.

scott46052

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2023
    Lebanon
    Or, "I'm building up a gun" to shoot competition. Then you see it for sale in the classifieds. After emptying their gun funds, people figure out the Staccato or single-action P226 they just stretched themselves to afford, isn't even legal to shoot most of the equipment divisions...and up for sale it goes.

I hate to say it, but although the Springfield and Garand made us into a nation of riflemen...the AR-15 wiped out that progress. The AR-15 turned us from a nation of shooters into a nation of "builders" who never make it to a match. Everybody's admiring each other's hot rods, but nobody can drive.
    Sounds about right ,I do have the Garand though lol

Something I try to tell people that watch utube videos of what sport they are thinking about shooting is most of the people that make the videos are real good shooters.I think some people wanting to get into shooting sports are discouraged by watching videos. They don't realize there are a whole lot of people that are decent shooters that go out and have a great time without getting too close to the top of the chart.
    I have also heard people talking about practicing till they get good enough to come shoot and never show up. Too bad because they never find out that as long as they can shoot safely and have a decent attitude they will be fine. They also miss out on the really good friends they will never meet. I have many good friends I shoot with that live far enough away that is about the only time I see them, in fact friendships are a big reason I enjoy the shooting sports. Jim.
    Very good Point

Top Bottom