• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Does anyone use a gun cleaning mat? I`ve always just used a wad of newspaper underneath my gun, but have wondered how the mats do? As far as absorbency? As far as how they store? What does everyone else do?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Shop towels at Harbor Freight. Not the Red ones the natural colored ones. You get like 50 for 12 bucks and they are great to have on the bench. Good for cleaning guns and soft enough to lay a few out for a cleaning mat. And you can wash and reuse. I've had the same 50 for years

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I have a cheap, longer mat I throw over the top of these (which is great for longer rifles/shotguns) on my bench. Had it for years. Think I got it at Bass Pro. It does fine, but I still set things to soak on top of shop paper towels. I can appreciate cushioning and ease to find parts. Best part is the mat stays put with its underside. Towels and newspapers slide around, which is annoying if you are cleaning multiple firearms.

These 2 set out, the longer one I fold up and put in a cabinet. I asked for them as Christmas gifts if someone wanted to add them on if they had a set amount to spend.

20240313_204347.jpg

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Almost spent the money on an ar15 or specific 1 for a handgun only because of the parts breakdown on the mat was neat, but figured why when an old towel works just fine and after taking the same gun apart a few times...well it wasn't worth the money for the neat factors..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Does anyone use a gun cleaning mat? I`ve always just used a wad of newspaper underneath my gun, but have wondered how the mats do? As far as absorbency? As far as how they store? What does everyone else do?
    Somehow, I came across an old yoga mat. It's some kind of rubber, and I've not seen any deterioration from cleaning or lubrication chemicals. I just roll it up when I'm done and stick it in a closet.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I was using one with a sewn in magnet in one corner. Was taking apart a bolt when a decent and ball slipped out - who knows where. The wife came in when she heard me cursing. 15 mins later I found the detent bearing sitting right on top of that magnet. I like them!

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    In the last couple of years, I found something way better than newspaper while working on engines and transmissions - PigMat:

They're a single color so it's harder to lose small parts. Durable and don't fall apart when soaked, though they're not reusable they don't shred up either.

Some have backing, others are specialty absorbers (water not oil, oil not water, surgical fluids).
    I like the rolls, because you can tear whatever length you need.

Also sold at home improvement stores, auto parts stores and the old Amazonia.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I use cheap white bath towels. Less of a chance to lose a small part.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Got a few as gifts over the years. I used them, they are nice.

A couple years ago I got a deal on the thick rubber matting Rural King sells by the foot. Its about 1/2" thick. Have that on 2 sides of my work bench.

Although I haven't seen my work bench since @lrdudley loaded us up with supplies! Still have it all! Everything except time to do anything.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Got a few as gifts over the years. I used them, they are nice.

A couple years ago I got a deal on the thick rubber matting Rural King sells by the foot. Its about 1/2" thick. Have that on 2 sides of my work bench.

Although I haven't seen my work bench since @lrdudley loaded us up with supplies! Still have it all! Everything except time to do anything.
    I'm really sorry you have not been able to find the top to your work bench. I have been able to find the top of mine.

Top Bottom