• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KimberCarry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Indianapolis. IN
    I'm going out to New Mexico for a Mule deer and antalope hunt next year. YEA!!! I have been looking for a hard travel case for two rifles. Dose anybody have one they like? I figure spend the money once and have a case for life insted of going cheap and end up with a damaged gun. Thanks in advance for anybodys thoughts,,,:patriot:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Pelican makes some really nice gun cases, single, double, or more guns. They are pricey but very tough. Downside, it's heavy but come with wheels, so you can pull. They have two reinforced metal on the lock 2 lock holes where you put the locks on.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I have no experience with Pelican gun cases, but I've got a lot of experience with thier cases in general. I agree, you can't go wrong. They are built to last for sure.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    You won't go wrong with the Pelican cases. I've toured all over the world with them, and they are the only case I will fly with.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    The gun cases on LarueTactical.com are nice they are the ones Chris talks about on the Magpul video. But yead pelicans are really nice.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lots of good gun case recommendations here.

One additional thought...I would not pay too much attention to the locks/locking features of the cases (with regard to airline transport) as you have to include a key or use a TSA approved (they have the master key) lock when you transport in the air.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Also, to the OP, Storm cases are good too.

Lots of good gun case recommendations here.

One additional thought...I would not pay too much attention to the locks/locking features of the cases (with regard to airline transport) as you have to include a key or use a TSA approved (they have the master key) lock when you transport in the air.

That's not accurate. They screen it before you give it to them and you lock it in front of them so they have no reason to check it again. They wouldn't need you to provide them with a key if it was a tsa lock.

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

TSA said:
    The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.

We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.

Last edited:

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    Agreed. I always lock my cased with a NON-TSA lock. If they want to open again after inspecting/screening, they can come find me.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Agreed. I always lock my cased with a NON-TSA lock. If they want to open again after inspecting/screening, they can come find me.

You are not supposed to use a TSA lock on a gun case, only on the suitcase it is in.

I tape my name and cell on the outside of the gun case. I have also used a Glock case with one U shaped lock over the handle which works fine for handgunsand I have never had any problems with that but have never traveled with rifles.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Just a little fyi, I believe Storm cases were recently bought by Pelican. I'm in the market too, so make sure you post up what you end up with so we can gawk over it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    What you did there, I see it.

Actually, I'm not sure if that is your photo or not, but there is a pelican case within a pelican case. I can only wonder why. Does something need extra, extra special protection?

Anyways, yeah, I'll go ahead and add to it. Pelican FTW. I have a Pelican 1400 that I found cheap used on Craigslist, I keep my .30 cal suppressor and a few other items in it. I've been wanting to get a larger one to put actual guns in, but the budget just won't allow that right now.

Top Bottom