• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    This doesn't reek of the Mayoral Justice League at all...

If you can't make it to the drop-off, you can arrange to have an officer come to your house to pick up the gun. Just call the Fort Wayne Police department at (260) 427-1222

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    LOL, if the gun is worth a damn, functional and working, I'll give 'em $50 for it. If not, $10 - $25.

That's 10 times, no wait, an infinite better return on 'em than FWPD is offering! :D

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Just to set the record straight, this "gun amnesty" thing is not something the department (or its command staff) initiated...instead, it was a small organization within FWPD called "Guardians of Police." (Google it) This group came up with the idea after conferring with a group of local ministers from an area in town that has seen a significant number of gang-related homicides. Even though most of the publicity would give casual readers the impression that it's a departmental program, that is not the case at all.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Dang it! I can't make it that day! Can they reschedule?

The only issue I could see with "interfering" is the possibility of receiving stolen property. What liability do you have when it comes to this? You could honestly say you're ignorant, but is that enough?

Also, I'd have to be careful what I accept - if it was made before '63 then I'd be required to get name/address/DOB/etc. for my FFL03 ledger.

EDIT: I love this line,
    “These are the guns that you found at your house, may have taken away from your children, or nephews or whoever, and don't know what to do with it."
    "Hey billy, give me that gun, you can't have that!"

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    How about a sandwich board that says something like

'Gun Amnesty Drop Off Point - No Police Check At This Location'.

or

'Gun Amnesty Drop Point - Pre-Screening Location'.

Or, even better would be:

'Gun Amnesty Drop Off - Working guns this location. All others proceed to the next drop off point'.

If any junk comes in, drop it with the boys in blue.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    1) Take a video camera. Heck, take ten or twenty. And have them all going all the time.

2) Know the Indiana laws concerning buying and selling of guns.

3) Have a lawyer with you if possible. Let me repeat that... have a lawyer with you if possible.

4) Don't be intimidated by thugs of any kind, no matter their uniform. Know what your rights are on public property and know where the property starts and ends.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Jack, I think I know what he's talking about. We all know that there are people out there in society who make the rest of us gun owners cringe; whether it's their complete disregard for safety practices or other misbehavior, there are folks that represent a serious threat to our reputations as responsible shooters and gun owners. Matt is not by any means in favor of any more infringements on the Second Amendment...this, I can guarantee.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Sarge, do you really think these are the kinds of people standing in line at these gun carnivals trying to get a freebie gift card?

Every report I've seen for years emphasize the old ladies in line, the gun tucked in grandpa's drawer for 30 years and the general lack of interest by those who use a gun for "bad reasons" for turning in the tools of their trade.

This is why these shows are an utter failure to do as they promise. The 'wrong hands" are hanging on to their guns and the good citizens are being suckered into giving up their means of protection.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I agree that they're utter failures, and have viewed the very concept with disdain from the first time I heard it....never said otherwise. I simply stated that Matt meant no disrespect to gun owners in general, and that not everyone who CAN own a gun, has any business doing so, kinda like having kids. We all have the right, but I'm sure you've met some people over the years, who shouldn't breed, for the sake of the species in general. Personally, I always thought gun amnesty programs were a perfect way to dispose of evidence, since the whole premise is based on "no questions asked."

Top Bottom