• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The news from Tippecanoe County on the Purdue shooting last semester:

Judge wants to hear from shooting victim's family | jconline.com | Journal and Courier

Judge wants to hear from shooting victim's family

By SOPHIA VORAVONGsvoravong@jconline.com • January 12, 2010

A former Purdue University student will be sentenced in March for his involvement in an alcohol-fueled prank and fatal shooting in August that killed a childhood friend.
    p-e4m3Yko6bFYVc.gif

William J. Calderon, 22, of Fort Wayne pleaded guilty Monday in Tippecanoe Superior Court 5 to pointing a firearm, a Class A misdemeanor.
    Judge Les Meade declined to immediately accept the plea, noting that he felt family members of the victim, 21-year-old Landon Siela of Fort Wayne, deserved to have a say.

"You will have the right to be heard," Meade said to Landon Siela's father, Ron Siela, who was seated in the courtroom's gallery. "... Frankly, we need to save a good amount of time for this."
    Ron Siela, of Fort Wayne, declined to comment after Monday's hearing.
    The fatal shooting took place Aug. 22 at an apartment at 204 Wiggins St. in West Lafayette, near Purdue's campus. It was two days before classes began.

Calderon said he and his roommate, Cory S. Lynch, 23, had just moved in that weekend. Landon Siela, a student at Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne, was visiting.

Lynch, of Carmel, is accused of firing the fatal shot that struck Landon Siela in his throat. Lynch is charged in Tippecanoe Circuit Court with reckless homicide, criminal recklessness and pointing a firearm.
    All counts against him are felonies. Lynch is tentatively scheduled to stand trial Feb. 2.

During Monday's hearing, Calderon said the three friends had spent much of Aug. 22 consuming beer and hard liquor. Calderon estimated having between 10 and 12 shots. He had a blood-alcohol content of 0.19 percent shortly after the shooting.

That day, the three had been playing with an airsoft gun, which shoots rubber pellets at low velocities.
    For unclear reasons, Calderon said he and Lynch then decided to play a prank on Landon Siela by using real weapons. They came up with this plan while Landon Siela was outside.

Calderon grabbed and "cleared" a Springfield .45-caliber handgun, meaning the weapon was not loaded. That handgun belonged to Landon Siela, according to court documents.

Lynch then got hold of Calderon's Kimber .45-caliber handgun, which Calderon said he kept loaded in their apartment for protection.
    Calderon told the court that he did not see Lynch clear the handgun before pointing it and pulling the trigger, fatally injuring Landon Siela. This occurred after Landon Siela had walked out of the bathroom.

He said Lynch knew the weapon was loaded because "we had both talked about it earlier in the day."

Under Calderon's plea agreement with the Tippecanoe County prosecutor's office, his sentence will be left up to Meade. A Class A misdemeanor is punishable by up to 365 days in jail and a $5,000 fine

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    I had an AR-15 pointed at me during college back in the early 90s. It was f'n stupid and I thank God that person didn't want to "prank" me by actually pulling the trigger whether he thought it was loaded or not. And we had not been drinking. What a messed up deal this is.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Side issue: I completely disagree with the victims family being allowed to give statements. Is that a blindfold Lady Justice is wearing, or a tissue? Is she holding a scale, or a psychiatrist's couch?

Don't get me wrong, I feel for the family, but a court is not the place for them to vent. The sentence shouldn't be more or less based on how beloved was the deceased.

Top Bottom