• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Not your head, the striped rat's. An added benefit, if you ask me.:rockwoot:

The Dorito is a nice touch. Are you a Chef in real life?:D

I worked for a lowend employer years ago and we had rats in our breakroom for a short period of time. I started out with mouse traps because I didnt know there were rats until i started pulling out half eaten mice from the traps. I moved up to rat traps and the mice could eat the peanut butter from the trigger with out setting it off. So using Doritos from the vending machine helped to weight the trigger just enough you could blow on it and set it off. It works at home when you get a mouse just break off a Dorito or cheerio and they have to work at it. I have sucessfully used this on squirels that got behind my chimney and in between the floors. Only I used peanut butter with a piece of seed corn stuck to it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My problem are bats in the house, sad part is they are protected.
    Only thing I can do is "catch and release".

uh huh, they need better protection then. The last one I "released" just fell on the ground and the dog ate it.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    uh huh, they need better protection then. The last one I "released" just fell on the ground and the dog ate it.

The last one I tossed outside took flight and tried to fly back in.
    Smacked him out of the air and threw him hard and fast into the yard.
    He flew off w/out any more problems.

Also my dog would have looked at it, and look at me w/the look of "what do expect me to do with this?"

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Live traps are two for $35 at the tractor supply. One ground squirrel size and the other racoon sized.

Set the trap, with an apple slice.

Must have the trigger set too heavy, because my apple is gone and the trap is still set.

Re-set with a lighter trigger. We'll see what happens.

Next step is the peanut butter.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Great story.....PETA.....Skip this post!!!

I knew and old retired man that had nothing better to do other than trap the little monsters around his yard....he was an old vet. and had declaired WAR!!!:ar15:

So he went through and started live trapping them with the mesh box traps...then he would drown them in a bucket of water.....can't shoot into the box and don't want to relocate them...so drown them.....

Well trash only comes once a week right??? And I am not sure you know this but you put a couple in the trash and they are STINKING in one week.....

Ok here is where it gets GOOD...He would freeze them in the freezer until trash day............No big real right?....But her would pose them before they got frozen!!!...So you open the freezer door and there was an entire village going about their daily business......:rockwoot::popcorn::laugh::bowdown:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    One down. Little goober tried to crawl through the cage and got stuck half way through. I hate having to whack animals stuck in traps. Just messy work...

Time to mod the trap to keep rodents from trying to squeeze through the bars.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    One motivated cat can keep about 5 acres fairly clear and near the house will be a dead zone. Supplement the cats efforts with a BB gun or .22. The cat works every day so you don't have to.

The battle never ends, never.

I have had the best luck with cats that came from river valleys or urban apartment complexes. Dey Be Killas, nuff said about that.

Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it half full of water, lay a 2/4 on the edge of it down to the ground to make a ramp. take some nuts and make a trail up the plank and drop some in the bucket. . . you get the idea
    I'll second this one. Around my old neighborhood we called it the "Bucket-O-Death". I would advise one small change: cover the water with black-oil sunflower seeds. The critters go up the ramp and believe the layer of seeds represents a solid floor full of goodies. I don't know what's funnier, watching their eyes when they first see the seeds or the look on their faces when they first come up for air. :D

Seriously, I average between three and four dozen critters each year, about 90% chipmunks and the rest mice. Very inexpensive and effective trap!

Specialized

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I 've got one round for you........22 CB. they sound like a pellet out of a air rifle and half as fast but tear big holes in the little buggers. They are destructive little ****s!

Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield
    If the burrow holes are close to the house try putting the garden hose in the hole and flooding them out and then prepare to shoot them or club them. This worked for me for a mole problem.

7.62-5.56Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Portland, IN
    Also a metal plate attached to one post of a charged capacitor, peanut butter on the other. You get the idea.

Also drive nails through a 6"x6" plywood piece. Hinge it to another 6x6 piece. Wrap rubber straps around them, hold that sandwich open with a pretzel stick smeared with.....peanut butter.

I've had run ins with ground squirrels before.

I'm quite fond of these ideas myself.

Top Bottom