Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ground bees suck.
    I ran into some today while building a new shoot shack on my property

I had been at it for more than an hour before they started swarming from a hole in the ground not 18" from my new shack, and basically in front of the (proposed) door.

I got stung 4-5 times before I got my tools gathered up and ran away. :runaway:

Not a total coward though.
    I gave them time to settle down then gave them about a quart of gasoline/oil mixture to suck on down inside the hole.

Still stings a little and now starting to itch...:xmad:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Best stuff for those bastages is Sevin Dust. After dark, sprinkle a couple tablespoons into and around the entrance hole. As they come and go they track it in and it kills the ENTIRE colony dead.
    That works for some of them, but not all. It worked on my first, but then zero effect on yellow jackets.

Then I bought Tempo Dust and have killed 7 ground nests so far with it.

6 stings from the first two nests and then I bought a beekeeper suit. I may or may not be mowing part of my lawn along the lake in it, just in case!

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Wow. Just googled the Tempo Dust and they're proud of that stuff. Amazon has it for 40.00.

I picked it up for $30 a month ago and did some searching last week and got a second bottle for $32. One puff in the hole and they are all dead the next morning.

I picked up some Stryker 54 and had been using that before I applied the Tempo Dust (that's what my pest guy does), but haven't on the past few...
    bbaf30770abfab577d965a8e117a262c.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well, I don't wish them on anyone, but on the other hand, I'm glad I'm not suffering this alone.
    I read somewhere last year that they only nest for a few weeks and then are gone.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Well, I don't wish them on anyone, but on the other hand, I'm glad I'm not suffering this alone.
    I read somewhere last year that they only nest for a few weeks and then are gone.
    Just long enough to sing the pee out of you the last few times you mow or bush hog. Sevin works most times for me. Raid flying insect killer after dark in the hole works pretty well. 16 oz of gasoline and a match if I'm in need of the occupied space.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I almost started a thread myself about them . Have never seen so many nests .
    Have got stung about 5 times this year (usually when mowing ) I have killed off 7 ground nest so far .
    Yellowjackets ......................
    Used starting fluid and hornet spray in the 1st two (at night ) had to re-do a couple times each before it killed them .
    After researching a bit , ended up getting some Delta Dust ......Has worked great every time .
    Sprinkle a bit around the entrance and used a duster bulb to shoot some down the hole .

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Had a nest in the garden. One of the strawberry plant holes in the landscape fabric groundcover.

I didn't want to use poison or chemicals in the garden. So I started with various strengths of diluted vinegar poured in the hole. Didn't effect them much.

Made a cool bottle funnel trap and used beer for the bait. Pretty happy to see a couple dozen bees floating, right off the bat. A week later, bees still flying in and out, numbers in the trap about the same.

Said screw it and poured in a few glugs from the gas can. That worked. No flame needed.

Wonder how long and how big of an area might be effected longer term from the gas in the garden?

:scratch:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wow. Just googled the Tempo Dust and they're proud of that stuff. Amazon has it for 40.00.
    That could be an Amazon thing. I've found lots of stuff 4+ times retail. Look elsewhere before you chalk it up to being overpriced.
    I had one item that would have cost me $60 on Amazon. But it was only $25 delivered direct from the manufactuerer.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We try to kill as many of the queens as possible in the spring, usually get 30-40. That reduces the number of nests I have to contend with around the house. In the woods though those things are like stepping on land mines. Skunks dig up a number of the nests out there.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    We try to kill as many of the queens as possible in the spring, usually get 30-40. That reduces the number of nests I have to contend with around the house. In the woods though those things are like stepping on land mines. Skunks dig up a number of the nests out there.
    Had skunks digging them up this weekend. Up north we get a bunch.

Top Bottom