• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I'm looking at purchasing my first EDC knife. I have never owned a decent knife, but am very much looking forward to owning a quality knife.
    I have been doing a bit of research here and there, and have come to the conclusion that the Benchmade Griptilian 551 is more than an adequate EDC.
    I am making this thread as a sort of "confirmation thread" to help me be more decisive in my decision. I have little to no doubt that the Griptilian is going to be a great EDC, but would like some input as, to me, it is a major decision.
    I am looking at the Griptilian 551 in the Olive Drab with a serrated black coated blade.
    I'm just looking for a bit of input on the knife and others comparable with it.
    Thanks again for the input.

David O.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    The Grippy 550 series is one of my favorite knives with the 557 getting the most pocket time. I remember a when they switched over from 440 to 154cm. I carried a Benchmade 557SBK and Emerson CQC-7 while in Iraq, both those knives have since been "retired" and live in a shadow box my family made for me when I got home.

These days I usually have a Benchmade 557 or Spyderco Delica in my pocket. I opt for the Delica more often, just cause I lose knives like crazy and it's cheaper to replace for me.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    The Grippy 550 series is one of my favorite knives with the 557 getting the most pocket time. I remember a when they switched over from 440 to 154cm. I carried a Benchmade 557SBK and Emerson CQC-7 while in Iraq, both those knives have since been "retired" and live in a shadow box my family made for me when I got home.

These days I usually have a Benchmade 557 or Spyderco Delica in my pocket. I opt for the Delica more often, just cause I lose knives like crazy and it's cheaper to replace for me.

What is your normal travel pattern ?
    I am going to start looking for those delica's:D

Sheltie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    N.E. Indiana
    I think it's a great choice other than the coated blade. My Grip is what I carry the most even though I have other knives that cost much more. My wife carries a pink mini-grip.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I carry a mini-grip... After working with them both though, I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the straight (as opposed to serrated) blade. I just keep it sharp and it does whatever I ask of it.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    As for the blade coating, I just like the look of a black blade. I've read more than once that other don't like the blade coated. Is there any reason for this or is it simply a personal preference thing?

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    As for the blade coating, I just like the look of a black blade. I've read more than once that other don't like the blade coated. Is there any reason for this or is it simply a personal preference thing?

I carry a 551 as my EDC and I thought the same thing about the black blade. I liked the look, but it scuffs and scratches very easily. I used it to pierce a some corrugated fibrous material that was used as during construction of my house. It was about 1 inch thick and the blade went in very easily so I didn't think anything of it. But now I have several permanent scuffs the length of the blade from a material that I could have put my fingers through with some effort.

I am NOT impressed by the coating. Otherwise the knife has been great. If I had to do it over again I'd buy the stainless.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Thanks evilelmo. That's kind of what I assumed regarding the coating. I may opt for the regular blade.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    any type of coating on a blade that will help prolong the life of the blade, I'm all for. scuffs don't mean jack to me but a longer lasting blade does.

Sheltie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    N.E. Indiana
    Oliver I thought a couple pics might help you with your decision. This was my first Grip until it was stolen.

Since this blade I no longer want coated blades or serrations, however it was a good experience.

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

The black Grip is what I normally carry at work and my wife carries the pink one of course. She does favor a partially serrated edge, fwiw.

IMG_1526.jpg

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Great choice in knives. The griptillian has proved to be one of benchmades most popular blades.
    I'm a fan of a coated blade. Who cares if it gets scratched? This is a knife that is designed to be used, not collected.
    As far as the edge, I would strongly suggest you go with a plain edge. Serrated edges are trickier to sharpen, which is not a good thing if your new to knives. There is no advantage to a serrated edge over a sharp plain edge.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    I carry mine daily (154cm tanto black coated blade) and it got quite a bit of use when I was landscaping, cutting anything and everything from sod to weedeater line to ***** on the mower blades, etc

for all the use its gotten the blade coating is still in decent shape. If I had a camera I's take a pic for you, but its a great knife and everyone I show it to likes it.

as a side note, I also carry a ESEE izula around my neck and its more stout and cheaper, slightly shorter blade but if I was only allowed to carry 1 it would be the ESEE

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have a griptillian and love it. The best carry knife I have. I would like an endura edge for comparing, but I really like the easy open/close and the lock is very solid.

Top Bottom